• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami denies reports that they’ve stopped production on AAA games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZhugeEX

Banned
There was a thread on GAF recently that suggested veteran publisher Konami was abandoning AAA console development with the exception of its Pro Evolution Soccer series.

The report - published by French site Gameblog but seemingly verified by other sites who had done their own digging - was triggered by news that worldwide technology director Julien Merceron had left the company.

However, just like it did earlier in the year when similar rumours surfaced, Konami has publicly refuted these reports via one of its representatives:

I can promise you that we're definitely not leaving Metal Gear behind or anything like that. I know some blogs were claiming that online this morning, but I'm not really sure where they'd be getting that from.

We're still definitely working on console games and franchises such as Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania, PES and all the rest

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._it_is_walking_away_from_aaa_game_development

Edit: Upon further investigation this is just a Konami customer service rep and not an official response. In that case Nintendo Life suck ass at reporting and should never have run this misleading article.

QerWDSp.jpg

Thoughts?

Tizoc

I don't think even Konami knows what's going on with Konami and its direction :p

Then again that could just be usual PR talk.

Backflip

Are people seriously using a message from customer support as a real denial? People working for CS are probably the last to know about a company's strategy changes.

"We're still definitely working on console games and franchises such as Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania, PES and all the rest.... just not on consoles."

Takao

Banned
This is from a customer service representative. It was posted to Reddit.

I'm astonished any site would run with that.

Dali

The most recent iterations of sh and castlevania are arguably not AAA though. Wouldn't be surprised if metal gear gets the sh treatment now.

Eolz

Gameblog is far from reliable and eurogamer are the ones that said "we've heard through unverified souces that Hino will be the next Nintendo president", so never truly believed them.

Imo, I think the situation is pretty complicated, and that for now, those projects are probably just in pause while they're restructuring (like Sega or others before). They probably won't develop AAA themselves, but doesn't mean they are stopping AAA, just paying other developers to do what they want.

Edit: also obviously, lots of posters will dismiss anything coming from Konami because they're mad about them.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So did some digging and seems it's just a stock customer service response and not actually a company rep.

In that case Nintendo Life should never have run this article or omitted that fact.

No point in discussing this really. May as well lock the thread.

That customer rep doesn't know shit so let's dismiss that.

In any case, who the hell wants to buy MGS VI without Kojima in charge?

They'd outsource Castlevania to some amateur hour small Western dev.

Like the Jimquisiton put it yesterday, we should be happy that Konami are likely exiting video games and not going to butcher the many IP's many have come to know and love.

Markoman

Depending on the TPP sales...they would be incredibly stupid to leave the franchise and fox engine 2 behind. Die hard MGS fans will hate me, but I would advise them to release yearly expansions for the game. The fox engine 2 was a major investment an will be up-to-date for some years to come. Since the story aspect of the game was not that strong, I don't think they will need Kojima to release quality gameplay focused content like new maps in the future.

I trust the words of the guy who quit over some CS person. He said "no plans currently besides PES".
They are also working on that baseball game, but that is AA. No AAA plans makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom