• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Famitsu details

DNAbro

Scans are out and we got some new info.

http://personacentral.com/more-pers...iled-phone-app-used-to-enter-the-other-world/

Unlike Persona 3 and Persona 4, Persona 5‘s story is designed to be like an “omnibus,” with no one specific enemy or criminal that the team chases after. Like a serial drama TV show, the Phantom Thieves change the targets they chase regularly.

A fundamental part of the story is the mystery behind a phone application called “Isekainabi” (“Otherworldnavi” or “Parallel World Navigation”). Using this app, the main characters discover the location of their targets and are able to infiltrate the other world known as “Palace” to steal the hearts of “rotten people.”

Lots more in the link

Persona-5-Famitsu-Cover-827x1024.jpg

Delay again if old.

Nice, I really feel this will easily surpass P3 and P4.

Hashino reiterates that the scope of the game is very large, so the development team requires more time to properly finish it.
Take your time!

orochi91

This makes the delay so much more painful!

I wonder what they'll do in P6 to top their work in P5, because P5 looks to be the best one in the series.

Towards the end it will probably turn into the inevitable save the world plot but I'll gladly be proven wrong.
Either way, I have complete faith in them.

Neoxon

Honestly, now that I've gotten over the initial reaction to the delay, Atlus can take as long as they need to. I just want a great finished product.

That being said, Morgana is looking great as always. I'm starting to like her even more than I ever did for Teddie. And I guess the human female member of your party has her name spelled as Ann rather than Anne like we speculated.

BriGuy

I hope this doesn't mean P5 is going to be mission-based shit like MGSV at the expense of a coherent story. Some of us still appreciate those kinds of things.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The delay still stings, but if it means we are getting a complete package from the start like an FES or Golden, though Golden came out way after P4 unlike FES so that's a bit different, I'll be more than happy with it. It's going to take me months to beat this game most likely, even if I spend all of my free time playing it. Good god.

Neoxon

The delay still stings, but if it means we are getting a complete package from the start like an FES or Golden, though Golden came out way after P4 unlike FES so that's a bit different, I'll be more than happy with it. It's going to take me months to beat this game most likely, even if I spend all of my free time playing it. Good god.
In my case, Persona 5 is gonna have to compete with Street Fighter V & Pokkén Tournament for my free time.

Mifune

Mehmber
I hope this doesn't mean P5 is going to be mission-based shit like MGSV at the expense of a coherent story. Some of us still appreciate those kinds of things.

It sounds like the coherent story will come from the characters and not the plot. But we'll see.

Man, I hope each dungeon has its own opening credits sequence

Guests starring

Palace special defense forces #443
A random human who could be your new party member

I don't think it means a mission structure like TPP literally. You do fight main bosses in previous games and those could be the targets.

Sounds more like rather than one goal they work towards the whole time (ending the dark hour, catching the murderer) the story progresses in more independent arcs while an overarching story unfolds tied to this app. Using manga as a comparison, it'd be like one piece where you've gotten a bunch of arcs that aren't all explicitly connected, but that contain details and new characters that build up to a conclusion and slowly unravel overarching mysteries

vocab

Omnibus isn't the correct word in describing what they are describing. Episodic is what they are looking for. And I fear that it will be a detriment to the games overall story quality. The only game that tried this approach in recent times was Resonance of Fate. Tri ace isn't that great of a dev team so I'll give Atlus some slack. However, it has the potential to drag just by its very structure. 40-60 rpg and half of its episodic. I mean you can do Raidou 1 and 2 structure, but raidou 1 and 2 aren't long games, they are paced properly, and they don't have social links.

The cast of this game is so much more appealing so far than the cast of P4. I like Ryuji a lot; I hope he doesn't turn into a bootlicking sycophant like Yosuke.

DNAbro

Sounds more like rather than one goal they work towards the whole time (ending the dark hour, catching the murderer) the story progresses in more independent arcs while an overarching story unfolds tied to this app. Using manga as a comparison, it'd be like one piece where you've gotten a bunch of arcs that aren't all explicitly connected, but that contain details and new characters that build up to a conclusion and slowly unravel overarching mysteries

seems likely

Omnibus isn't the correct word in describing what they are describing. Episodic is what they are looking for. And I fear that it will be a detriment to the games overall story quality. The only game that tried this approach in recent times was Resonance of Fate. Tri ace isn't that great of a dev team so I'll give Atlus some slack. However, it has the potential to drag just by its very structure.
It sounds like they're just using a structure common to anime and manga. Where there is a main plot, but it's seperated and built up by relatively independent arcs

I think it just means that instead of having a single purpose guiding the characters throughout (such as finding the criminal in Persona 4), it's more just going to be following the characters' lives, and they'll have a lot of smaller events that link together.

I'm sure there will still be a guiding narrative throughout the whole thing, but rather than the characters just focusing on one thing, their objectives will change as the game goes on.

Zukuu

Banned
How was that one anime called where a young blond school girl stole corrupted items to free the heart of possed evil spirits or something?

P5 is exactly that. lol

Mifune

Mehmber

I hope it's like Phoenix Wright. A bunch of seemingly unconnected cases that build on each other and actually connect through the characters.

The SNS system seen in the PV03 trailer will have players chatting with other characters using phone text messages. This will allow players to personalize and expand their stories.
This seems Catherine text system meeting Persona's S.links
, and absolutely love it :)

Shmuppers

The cast of this game is so much more appealing so far than the cast of P4. I like Ryuji a lot; I hope he doesn't turn into a bootlicking sycophant like Yosuke.

As long as his character is more dynamic than Yosuke, I wouldn't mind if he's obnoxious. His shirt does say "zomg".

See: Junpei. That sort of character can be done right.

Nachos

It sounds like the story's just going to be more compartmentalized, with each segment being a relatively self-contained arc feeding into a greater whole.

Man, I hope each dungeon has its own opening credits sequence
I want exactly one, done in the style of Too Many Cooks.

I think it just means that instead of having a single purpose guiding the characters throughout (such as finding the criminal in Persona 4), it's more just going to be following the characters' lives, and they'll have a lot of smaller events that link together.

I'm sure there will still be a guiding narrative throughout the whole thing, but rather than the characters just focusing on one thing, their objectives will change as the game goes on.

Well, it seems like they do have a single objective of sorts--they want to "reform society"--but that's a vague idea, not a concrete thing like "catch the murderer," so the actual physical goals will be several smaller ones (presumably stealing hearts).

A Catherine-style text system? Nice. Unsure what to think of the episodic style. MGSV didn't pull it off, so I wonder how a JRPG will play out.

I really hope no other games are inspired to follow the mission-based structure of MGSV. It's the worst thing about the game.

Sounds like they are talking more of a narrative perspective, as others have said multiple arcs building on eachother like any number of manga/anime stories.

As long as his character is more dynamic than Yosuke, I wouldn't mind if he's obnoxious. His shirt does say "zomg".

See: Junpei. That sort of character can be done right.

Ugh, Yosuke is such an unlikeable jackass pretty much the whole way through P4. Junpei starts that way but actually becomes a half decent person by the end.

So, everything you just said, lol.

Top Bottom