• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: SteamWorld Dig (3DS) - Why yes, I do dig it!

4Znrsmo.png

I finally decided to give this game a go on my 3DS, and I've been playing it CONSTANTLY since, I already clocked in around 4 hours and at 374m.

The game's goal is to dig far underground and collect loot to trade in for cash and unlock and buy upgrades. You dig by whacking at dirt blocks and after enough hits they break. You can acquire new pickaxes which allow you to take out squares in less hits until they can be broken after just one.

Later you unlock a drill which is used for more rocky dirt (there are big grey rocks but so far they're unbreakable). A key element is water, this is your energy meter of sorts which you use up to so a Steam Jump (you find this ala Metroid early on) and for the drill also. As you unlock more upgrades, you can obtain tanks that give you more water storage, and even some that use up less water when jumping and drilling. You obtain water via sitting in puddles underground, but they do get used up (luckily they refill after returning to the surface).

Another major point is your light, it gradually gets darker and when it runs out you can barely see anything other than the background to at least see where you can go up, you can go on, but I highly recommend against it since as I'll explain below there are hazards that can catch you off guard.

Some include enemies, so far I've encountered four; a small bug-like thing which are easy kills (they die in 3 hits), a larger armadillo-like thing which shoot needles at you and so far require you to take damage to kill them. Then in the oil cave, you find zombies that either just run back and forth (also easy kills, but take like 7 hits), but also can carry dynamite, which of course blow up and clear lots of dirt, but obviously you can take A LOT of damage so be careful/ The 4th enemy so far are these big zombies that throw glass bottles and man are they tough to even get around, died numerous times on these things alone. :/

Other hazards include TNT barrels which can auto detonate just by being near them, and also spikes which you can get rid of by shitting the block from below, and also these dripping green goo blocks, which can be broken from above, but these glow so you can't miss them.

Later on you can unlock being able to throw your own dynamite, but so far I can only carry 5 at a time, these come through in a pinch, but it's very limited so you have to use it when you REALLY need to. Don't want to be uber deep and then get roadblocked by enemies and such.

When collecting loot, you need to mind your inventory space, you can only carry 4 of the same item in one slot at once and they fill quickly, of course you unlock/buy more as you go on. You also collect these glowing orbs by breaking these spheres in the dirt, but these are pretty rare, and are needed for more upgrades after a period.

One aspect I love is the wall jumping ala Mega Man X where you just touch a wall and you can hop up on it with ease. The collecting is addicting and you really feel the need to just do one more go.

One I HATE is fall damage, I reached a bottom area and I fell like 100m and died straight away, so be careful when chancing drops.

Overall this is a wonderful game and the map on the bottom screen helps a lot as well as helping you keep track of your inventory.

Solid 8/10 for me, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Screens:

y70YhDL.jpg
Ee5Tq3o.jpg

zqtqkug.jpg

Release trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMGYQ40DzsU

Also available on: Wii U, PS4, Vita, Xbox One, PC, Mac, and Linux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SteamWorld_Dig

SteamWorld Dig still has, to this day, one of the most charming and adorablely awesome art styles I've seen. I love the robot/wild west mix up.

Fantastic game, great taste OP.

I came into the game expecting a Spelunky/Terraria knockoff. But it was even better.

The game does it's own thing really well. Booted it up and played it for a week straight without switching to anything else.

Played and beat it on Vita. Wasn't expecting much, but then definitely got hooked.

I was really disappointed that it ended so quickly. Thought I had missed something, so I looked it up online, but that was simply the end. Oh well.

Nice thread! I enjoyed this game a lot and continue to play it periodically. It's pretty good. I'm looking forward to the next Steamworld game (Steamworld Heist) also on 2DS/3DS.

Majestad

Banned
It's a great little game. The controls are really tight and the presentation is charming. Steamworld Heist looks very interesting too.

ohlawd

I stopped playing when I fucked up one of my digs

idunno if it can fix itself but it was kinda boring anyway and I was looking for excuses to stop. I hope the Canadian GAFfer who took my second code had more fun than I did.

nowadays I'm picking up random games I have in my backlog. maybe I'll give this game another spot in the limelight

bronk

Banned
I love this game so much. I used to play the xbox indie game miner dig deep so i picked this one up on a whim. Turned out to be such a charming little gem.

I just played my replay of Steamworld Dig for about 20 minutes. I'm an hour into it and I just found the drill. I guess that I'm about a third through this playthrough.

I don't mind it, but I find myself backtracking to the nearest exit after I have a full inventory so I can go cash in. That seems to be the flow of the game.

Been playing more and now I've put in more than 6hrs and I think 673m.

Got more upgrades such as eliminating fall damage, they KNEW! LOL

Also got a metal detector which shows you where metal loot is on the map as purple dots, SUPER helpful! :D

And the super punch move that essentially allows you to dig upward (but uses water)!

Such wonderful new upgrades, based Image & Form!

Veal

Best this on Wii U. It was amazing but oh so short. Really hope Heist can suck me in like this did.

MrDaravon

Ha I actually started playing this on PS4 yesterday, grabbed it on sale a while back for $2.50 or something. It's pretty rad, reminiscent of an XBLA Indie game called Miner Dig Deep if anyone's played that.

Been playing more and now I've put in more than 6hrs and I think 673m.

Got more upgrades such as eliminating fall damage, they KNEW! LOL

Also got a metal detector which shows you where metal loot is on the map as purple dots, SUPER helpful! :D

And the super punch move that essentially allows you to dig upward (but uses water)!

Such wonderful new upgrades, based Image & Form!

I'm glad you enjoyed this game! I'm going to keep playing my replay when I feel like it. The metal detector is cool but it comes pretty late in the game...

I think you're pretty close to the end of the game now...

Best this on Wii U. It was amazing but oh so short. Really hope Heist can suck me in like this did.

Yeah, Steamworld Heist looks kind of like a 2D platformer-style game, but it's also looks something like a Worms strategy game. I hope it turns out well...

Story done! Got gold medals for money and orb totals, silver for deaths (8) and bronze for time.

That's it I guess! I have not been hooked on a game like that since at least Super Mario 3D Land, and regardless of its length, I think that's the quickest I completed a game thanks to how much I put into it if you know what I mean, wow.

Got this during the Nintendo Humble Bundle but hadn't played it yet. Saw the thread and decided to give it a try.

Gotta say I'm enjoying it quite a bit more than I thought I would. Just got the drill but I'll definitely be back for more.

Decided to start the Wii U version. Already got the Speed Boots and Steam Jump.

I find it not as comfy to play with the GamePad and like having it closer to my face on 3DS.

I'll try the Pro Controller if it supports it, but the map and such is so important.

Wider view will certainly help though.

Top Bottom