• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

hot take but I think sometimes frame drops can occasionally enhance a gaming experience

Larxia

Vrr/freesync ftw?
Honestly I never understood this.
A lot of people claim this, but for me the framerate variations are just as noticeable with these techs, even with G-Sync. The only thing it's great at is that you can play at any framerate without having to worry about v-sync / tearing, and that's a great thing especialy on pc for mouse latency, but the framerate drops can still be seen exactly the same as without variable refresh rate, at least to me.

Killer8

There has only been one recent case of this and it was in Tekken 8 on PC. Of course, being an Unreal Engine shitshow, there was shader compilation stutter present once again. Normally this is a death sentence for a game. However a very cool thing happened in T8 - right as you performed a move which caused the stutter to occur, there would be this split-second pause as you made contact with the opponent, which kinda accentuated the power of the move. It accidentally did that thing which actions games do.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gradius-3-fix000.png

Back in the 16-bit era with SNES’s weak ass CPU, I’d agree.

These days though? There’s no amount of shit that should bog your system down.
Agreed. It only helped in side scrolling 2D games, Especially bullet hell schmups and platformers like Super Star Wars, etc..

3D games, hell to the nah.

Crayon

If it's the rare game where the logic is bound to the refresh, yes I kinda like it. Feels like a throwback. And if I'm really into the game, i think my brain processes the momentary slow mo in a funny way.

Top Bottom