• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

hot take but I think sometimes frame drops can occasionally enhance a gaming experience

fatmarco

Specifically for something like Dragons Dogma, I'd agree.

Managing to manuevere yourself to a massive enemies weak spot and pull off your most devastating attack in that short window, with alpha transparencies filling up the screen, tanking the framerate feels more powerful because you feel like your character is just that powerful that it's breaking the rules of the game.

Gudji

the sandlot wtf GIF

calistan

There must be a better way of emphasising the awesomeness than tanking the framerate. Like when shitty action films show a special effect three times from different angles in slow motion.

Frame drops just tell me that the programmers aren’t up to the job.

Gandih42

I totally get what you're saying OP. Pumping out units in custom WC3 games to make the game tank for all your friends is both awful and hilarious. Or looking the nuke in Unreal Tournament 2004 in the eyes as the frame rate grinds to a halt for a few seconds, until everyone is dead and it goes back to 60. I'm sure everyone have fond memories like that.

That being said, it only applies in very specific instances and can easily be more of a detriment if performance tanking happens in non-awesome ways. For Dragons Dogma specifically, I don't think its a big problem if the biggest craziest spells sometimes tanks performance a bit. Nothings perfect and sometimes the imperfections (even being undesirable) do add some of the character and flavor.

Bankai

In shmups like Crimzon Clover it's often part of the gameplay. Without the slowdown you wouldn't be able to dodge all them bullets.

200.gif

I think the type of slowdown matters. Frameskip where the screen is literally jumping around and you are unable to control anything is shit. Proper slowdown where the game itself is slowing down and you are still in full control is much better. Most Japanese games take (or took at least) this approach, I'm assuming by design.

On any EDF game, if the framerate is not tanking, it's because there aren't enough bugs on screen.
It's part of the experience!
Someone gets it. If the framerate isn't fucked that means that there could have been more bugs on it!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This forum has sone beaten fucking men on it lmao

Stockholm syndrome at it's finest
Are you surprised? The same bullshit cope was being paraded around years ago with people claiming 60fps was overrated. Where do you think the memes of, "you can't see above 30fps," stem from?

Time stamped. Now all of a sudden, it's 60fps or nothing when consoles have had 30fps games since times immemorial. It's simply a matter of, "It's overrated if I don't have it." Same for VRR, ray tracing, 4K, SSDs, etc.

Senua

Are you surprised? The same bullshit cope was being paraded around years ago with people claiming 60fps was overrated. Where do you think the memes of, "you can't see above 30fps," stem from?

Time stamped. Now all of a sudden, it's 60fps or nothing when consoles have had 30fps games since times immemorial. It's simply a matter of, "It's overrated if I don't have it." Same for VRR, ray tracing, 4K, SSDs, etc.

Not surprised, just bemused.

bender

What time is it?
Me and a buddy would stack objects and explosive items in the Crackdown demo by having one of us camp by the pile to prevent items from despawning and the other would gather items. The massive explosions and physics interactions would absolutely tank the framerate for multiple seconds and it was like a badge of honor so I can kind of see what the OP is talking about.

CamHostage

It's a weird sensation to champion, but I'm there with NightmareFarm... sometimes.

I remember playing the PS2 Medal of Honor Frontline and just being overwhelmed by the carnage and chaos while storming the beaches; they later remastered it and it didn't seem to really have much going on (it was the first level so there's not that much opposition or challenge,) but I can go back to the PS2 game and feel the pressure, almost like I have to win before the game gets blown up.

Last edited:

Kikorin

That's lowkey true, especially for some old 2D games. Metal Slug would not be the same without slowdown.

This is like fondly remembering having to wind the tape back into the cassette with a pencil.

It was shit when we had no choice, it is shit now.

MiguelItUp

Ryan Howard What GIF

Well, that's interesting. All I can think of is maybe it's tapping into the nostalgia of NES (or similar) slow downs? Man, those were awful, especially when it would cause pixels to flicker. It'd suddenly feel like a cheat code for AI.

Top Bottom