• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry initial analysis of Battlefront beta (PS4)

Vashetti

Banned
Along with a select few, we've managed to acquire early access to the Star Wars: Battlefront PS4 beta ahead of its official release on October 8th. With several gameplay sessions captured, we're now able to compare the console version's performance and visual make-up against the PC build we played a couple of weeks back in Stockholm. To cut to the chase, the PS4 game runs at a 1600x900 native resolution, falling into line with DICE's previous work on the console. It means there is an upscale on the image, but for the most part its post-process anti-aliasing does a decent enough job in keeping the image clean.

As for performance, the game targets 60fps and hits this number for the most part. Running across the tundra of the Assault Walker stage, it feels buttery smooth at this refresh, with no noticeable drops. However, the PS4 beta starts to struggle once we get into the final third of this match-up, with the encroaching AT-AT vehicles forcing rebels into an interior base. Alpha effects-work cranks up a gear as the two sides clash around this spot, and we get repeated 50fps drops as grenades or missile strikes crash down too.

On a positive note, this interior area also struggled in Star Wars Battlefront's pre-alpha build, as shown at E3 earlier this year. The good news is that where we once saw regular drops to 40fps and below, the worst we see in this latest beta build is a more solid 50fps. Even in controlling giant AT-AT vehicles with the full chaos of the map in view, gameplay sticks between 50-60fps in this latest beta build.

More: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ars-battlefront-ps4-beta-performance-analysis

Kezen

Banned
My eyes didn't trick me, it really was 900p on PS4. Definitely blurry, the game has a lot of fine details which 1080p makes much more evident.

bombshell

So the gut feel impressions in the beta thread about it being much smoother on PS4 than BF4 and Hardline have been correct. Good job by DICE. It's a ton of fun to play.

Hoje0308

Banned
Oh shit!

wgy9JI1.gif

LOD at the map fly over is pretty rough, but looks fine enough on foot.

edit: nvm, actually watching the vid in slow mo let's you see stuff disappearing and reappearing rather close to camera FOV.

eFKac

Drop zone was running really smooth for me. Was surprised cause I was expecting some noticeable drops, but there was none of those.

Seems pretty good for a beta. With how the game looks, I'm fine with 1600x900 if they can get those framerate drops dealt with.

Still in two minds about whether to get this on PC or PS4. PS4 will have a good online community but I can run the PC version at more than twice that resolution.

Kezen

Banned
PC benchmarks to see how well the game scales with more powerful hardware :
aB44Ah6.png

Considering neither console versions are running the ultra preset it should actually be easy to run on a wide range of gaming grade PCs, the system requirements target max settings, which is very unusual.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Still in two minds about whether to get this on PC or PS4. PS4 will have a good online community but I can run the PC version at more than twice that resolution.

I'm gonna go ps4 so I can play with a controller without being at a huge disadvantage.

PC specs? Also, I am not sure why a BF game would have a relationally bad community on PC.

I've never played a DICE online game on PC so I'm not sure about the community, really. Only played BF4 on PS4, and the community was decent.

I've got a 980Ti and i7 3770K, by the way.

tuxfool

Banned
Controller isn't a necessity, to be honest. I'm mostly concerned about the community.

Here is the thing. This game isn't on steam, it is on Origin. IIRC Titanfall died pretty quickly on PC partly because of this. On the other hand, BF maintains a healthy community, but that has more history on the PC.

For myself, I need mouse controls so it is PC or bust.

Gestault

Considering the IQ most of the time in PS4 BF4, I think this is a solid rendering solution. It's also good that there have been clear performance improvements even from the areas that had some trouble earlier in the press tour.

Here is the thing. This game isn't on steam, it is on Origin. IIRC Titanfall died pretty quickly on PC partly because of this. On the other hand, BF maintains a healthy community, but that has more history on the PC.

For myself, I need mouse controls so it is PC or bust.

Yeah, this is also a real concern. But I believe BF4 still has a decent player count.

I really wish we could be done with 900p. It's 2015.

Maybe this will be the last year. Maybe.

I doubt it. DICE pushing for 60FPS and top of the line visuals means the resolution has to take a hit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
With better AA the overall IQ seems far better than BF4, even at 900p.

That internal Hoth base area is the only place I noticed drops while playing. Genuinely shocked at how smoothly it runs at the level of fidelity they hit. The particles are exceptional.

Do they even try to run this engine at 1080p on PS4? It's been stuck at 900p since BF4.
The 30fps games on Frostbite have all been 1080p and GvZ is 1080/60. This game looks way better than most 30fps games this gen.

SaganIsGOAT

I really wish we could be done with 900p. It's 2015.

Maybe this will be the last year. Maybe.

If devs keep trying to target 60fps consistently with these larger scale games like Battlefront and Halo 5 then we are going to see resolution decreases/dynamic scaling to allow for that. It's the way it has to be given what they're working with.

fastmower

Can someone explain to me what DF means when they say "Alpha-Effects"? I did some googling, but I still don't know what they are talking about.

I'm thinking I might actually go PC with this game.

Also why do people keep saying "nice work for a beta" the game is out in a little over a month which means it goes gold in a week or two, what you see here is what you'll get.

Tenebrous

PC will have a good online community as well. The only one that doesn't really is Hardline.

Excellent for a beta. Hopefully I'll get to try the beta out, strict NAT settings on university internet could be a hinderance though.

-griffy-

Banned
Do they even try to run this engine at 1080p on PS4? It's been stuck at 900p since BF4.

Well, BF isn't the only series using this engine anymore. In fact, more games using the engine are 1080p on PS4 than not. Need for Speed Rivals, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, Rory McIlroy PGA Tour and Dragon Age: Inquisition all ran at 1080p using this engine.

It's not the engine so much as the specific scope of the BF games while aiming for 60fps.

Human_me

PC benchmarks to see how well the game scales with more powerful hardware :
aB44Ah6.png

Considering neither console versions are running the ultra preset it should actually be easy to run on a wide range of gaming grade PCs, the system requirements target max settings, which is very unusual.

Important to note they put the FOV at 55 (for this benchmark)

I'm pretty awed at how this looks. Usually Battlefield betas look horrible in what I think is an attempt to keep the file size to a manageable level. The final product is generally fantastic though.

Top Bottom