• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
lfLt3PJ.png

When a dark shockwave sweeps through the city of Arba, the monsters that once lived alongside the people in peace are driven into a frenzied rage. As either the hero Luceus or the heroine Aurora, the player joins forces with a cast of fan favorites from previous Dragon Quest titles, such as Alena, Bianca and Yangus, to bring the rampaging hordes of monsters to their senses and restore order to the kingdom.

Title: Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below
Platform: PlayStation 4
Genre: Action RPG
Players: 1
Release Date: Tuesday, October 13th, 2015
MSRP: $59.99
ESRB Rating: T for Teen

DUk6puh.png

• Familiar characters from previous Dragon Quest games join a small cast of new characters in an epic new story set in the Dragon Quest universe.
  • Control a four character party, each with their own unique abilities, and switch between them on the fly.
  • Fight a huge number of your favorite Dragon Quest monsters on epic battlefields.
  • Use the alchemy pot to create new useful items and equipment for your party.
  • Buy weapons for your characters at the camp vendor. Weapon changes will be visible on your characters.
  • Switch out your party characters at Luida's Bar depending on the type of missions you face.
  • Character levels are gained in real time followed by the nostalgic level up jingle with a full HP and MP recovery.
  • Money is gained automatically from defeated enemies so no need to worry about chasing coins in the middle of battle.

d2v8eSS.png

Trailers
Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Heroes You Know Trailer
Dragon Quest Heroes: King Doric's Royal Overview Trailer
Dragon Quest Heroes: Begin a New Quest Trailer

Screenshots

YmM9hj2.png

xxyqcdS.png

Does this game have multiplayer / co-op?
  • Unfortunately this game is single player only.
What type of game is this? Is it like other Dragon Quest games?
  • This is a single-player action RPG that's in a genre typically known as "Musou". It's developed by Omega Force and is similar to Dynasty Warriors / Samurai Warriors / Hyrule Warriors, but with it's own unique spin on the genre. The game is very different from most Dragon Quest titles, which are turn-based RPGs.
If I haven't played Dragon Quest before, will I enjoy this game?
  • This game has a completely stand-alone story that's not related to other Dragon Quest games in any way. If you enjoy Musou or Action RPG games you'll want to pick this up!
What about trophies?
  • The game features 50 trophies in total: 1 Platinum, 2 Gold, 11 Silver, and 36 Bronze.
How is the game's frame rate?
  • The game runs at a smooth 60fps, even with numerous or large enemies on the screen.

Special thanks to Parakeetman who did a great job on the Import OT, and thanks to Loudninja who compiled all the reviews!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Nice OT, its mineses tomorrow.

How is the soundtrack? Any chance it harkens to VIII's grand orchestral score?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm glad the game is getting good press and review scores, I hope it's received well and with any luck that means we'll see more Dragon Quest here in the west.

Got her preloaded and ready to go. Really want to show Square there is demand for this series in the west! Gotta lock down DQHeroes 2 and DQ11 for a US/Euro release.

Huge fan of DQ8, been contemplating some of the other games. I hear that DQV is a must play, should I get it on android ($15) or pick up a DS (used $50ish) and find the game used somewhere?

Edit: Great OT BTW

Yushi

I got the game because it looks good and because I know I will help the cause to get more DQ games in the NA/EU.

FOR A GREATER CAUSE!

Angel_DvA

I'll take it later, it really was sent to dur in October with Witcher 3 extension, NBA 2K16, Halo 5 etc...

Not enough time to play everything so I'll take it next year.

Great OT OP! Pre-load is ready to go, course I'm at work now so I can't play until tonight when I get home. Very excited for this!

Picking it up tomorrow morning. I absolutely cannot wait. Been really excited for this since it was announced. Just love the art style, colors, gameplay seems fine too. Looks like it oozes charm and I could really go for some of that right now.

Kouriozan

Nice OT, so excited for the famous JRPGs day in Europe.
Only got one question, are drops picked automatically at the end of each stages like in Hyrule Warriors or you have to grab everything manually?

Aeana

Thanks for making the thread.
I somewhat enjoyed the game, but I'm not sure that the DQ trappings were enough to really get me fully into this style of game. I'm gonna be trying it again in English, because I need to hear correct sounding Yangus and Jessica.

Pre-loaded. Just under 4 hours till I can play. So hyped.

I've bought too many Musou this year. I have a problem.
i got burned out last year with dw8ce, sw4 and orochi 3 ultimate

probably doesn't help that keeps koei pumping out at least 3-4 a year haha

Nice job on the thread!!!! Got this pre-loaded and ready to go. I know this is a spinoff, but I've really wanted to get into the series since seeing the screens for XI, so I plan on using this as an entry point as it looks like a really awesome game.

Redwing199

Neo Member
Have a busy week ahead but can't wait to squeeze in time for this after I get it tomorrow. Looks like it can be a real gem.

Because I am a huge dragon quest fan boy and se has me by the balls, I went all in and ordered the collectors edition. It comes tomorrow

Tsosie

Here we go. I am so pumped for this game. By all accounts the framerate holds steady. Ima gunna kill so many slimes.

Top Bottom