• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Has Some Interesting Terms of Service

Curiosity was piqued by a few threads on the Steam forums and Reddit. Apparently, the TOS now threatens to block access to the game if it detects any tampering with the game files. So if you're using a mod to bring back
Quiet
, or just using model swaps, might wanna be careful. Haven't had much time to look through properly, but I did notice some interesting things, like how Konami reserves the right to delete your save data if it's dormant for long enough. Also, you apparently lose access to MB coins if you uninstall your game (that's probably just them stating the obvious that the coins aren't usable outside of the game)?

vn8b.png

wn8b.png

Wait so on the ps4 when I shelve this game for eternity they'll delete my save file? I take very long breaks from games at times.

Rockk

I think it might be more to combat the hackers in FOB. I dunno. I guess we'll see when people start getting banned.

Eh. I'll never touch the game again, and Konami won't see a penny from my wallet for the rest of our mutual existences, so I'm fairly ambivalent to the whole thing, but still...

What a buncha' dicks.

So they can delete saved date after a "long" period of time, only problem is they then don't specify the amount of time before it does it.

Also save file that was edited with quiet modded, still works completely, I have a got a separate backup on my external hard drive.

konjak

Now, are we sure this is exclusive to this agreement, or are we just looking for more reasons to shit on only Konami?

They're shitty, but just asking. You should worry a lot more about Microsoft/Google/Facebook agreements. They can remove your life, almost.

commissar

I was going to say that it's a good thing agreeing to T&Cs don't waive consumer rights under my local laws, but with the TPPA, who knows :/

LoveCake

What are they hoping to gain by this?

Some of the things Konami have done in regards to MGSV are frankly unbelievable.

I regret getting the PS4 collectors edition, but i'll never buy another Konami game again.

DeaviL

Banned
Oh my god, a ToS with tons of shady stuff in it.
Now where have i seen those before...

Oh wait, every single piece of software on this planet.

Spaghetti

this is all dependant on if they act on the TOS or not. until then, this is just jumping at shadows.

that said i wouldn't be surprised if they do actually start to do things once the mgo update is finally pushed on PC.

Golnei

that said i wouldn't be surprised if they do actually start to do things once the mgo update is finally pushed on PC.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to enforce this a little earlier, with the amount of people attempting to pirate DLC and illegally restore FOB resources without using the official service.

To me it seems people are now just trying to find anything about the game to make it look bad. confirmation bias tbh
I could be wrong, but I'm sure if you read the TOS of pretty much anything with a TOS, you'll see some "interesting" things.
You guys would be surprised at what's in the majority of ToS you agree to without reading, isn't just Konami.
Right. This thread is a joke.

To me it seems people are now just trying to find anything about the game to make it look bad. confirmation bias tbh
I could be wrong, but I'm sure if you read the TOS of pretty much anything with a TOS, you'll see some "interesting" things.

Right. This thread is a joke.

Really, any thread becomes a joke when the defensive fanboys come to the rescue of their beloved game/company.

Really, any thread becomes a joke when the defensive fanboys come to the rescue of their beloved game/company.

I don't think anyone sees Konami as beloved these days.

TOSes always contain stupid, weird shit, and none of it is enforced or can be enforced. It's legal mumbo jumbo. I know you want to take a stand against Game Company but this is a strange way to do it, unless they enact it and actually fuck someone over.

I don't think anyone sees Konami as beloved these days.

TOSes always contain stupid, weird shit, and none of it is enforced or can be enforced. It's legal mumbo jumbo. I know you want to take a stand against Game Company but this is a strange way to do it, unless they enact it and actually fuck someone over.

Who said it was taking a stand? I came across some stuff, decided to post it out of interest.

Top Bottom