• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth |OT| Greed is Good

s6EEH1Q.png

Please refer to NotLiquid's wonderful Rebirth OT for information on the base game.

Developer: Nicalis, Inc., Edmund McMillen
Publisher: Nicalis, Inc.
Release Date: October 30th (PC), Unknown (Console)
Platforms: PC, PS4, PS Vita, XB1, Wii U, N3DS
RRP: $10.99 USD, £7.99 GBP, €10,99 EUR

SPOILER ETIQUETTE: All content from Rebirth and the original game can be discussed freely, including The Lost and Mega Satan. However, anything new unlockables in Afterbirth must be spoiler tagged. New items and the features covered below can be discussed freely.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth is an expansion pack to Nicalis' and Edmund McMillen's The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, released last year for PC and consoles. It contains new items, new chapters, new modes, and much more. This OT will cover what is new in Afterbirth, please refer to the original OT for details on the base game.

1HkCVth.png

Greed Mode is a brand new way to play Isaac. The game begins with a double height room, a double width store above, two treasure room to the right, a curse room to the top left, a possible devil room spawn to the bottom left, and an exit room below.. There is a super secret room connected to one of the outer rooms. The game begins with the curse room, the shop and one treasure room unlocked. In the centre of the starting room there is a button.

When pressed, the button spawns a wave of enemies and bars all the doors.. The button also then becomes the stop button, which you can use to stop a new wave from spawning at the cost of half a heart. Once the timer under the button runs out or you kills all the mobs, a new wave will spawn. Whenever new waves spawn, a bunch of pennies will spawn depending on how long you have played without pressing stop. Pennies are absolutely vital in Greed Mode. There are no other pickups in this mode, so the player needs to use their pennies to buy pickups and items from the shop. These include bombs, hearts, keys, active items and passive items.

Normal enemy waves will spawn eight times. After that, you get a free breather to buy some items or visit the curse room. The button then changes to skull, which will spawn two boss waves in the same way as regular waves, an easy boss and a medium boss. After beating these two waves, the exit door will unbar. However, pressing the button again will spawn the nightmare boss wave, which will spawn the devil room. Once you exit the floor, you move onto the next floor, which will behave identically but with new mobs and bosses. Also, all of the rooms are completely new. Curse rooms and secret rooms contain new items, and the devil room acts a little differently to what we're used to.

xHumDEZ.png

Daily Runs are another new way to play. Similar to games such as Spelunky or OlliOlli, the Daily Run will have every player play an identical seed. However, unlike normal seeds, unlockables don't matter. Everybody is on a level playing field. You only get one chance to set a score and time, so you best make it count. You can also play the same seed again after dying or finishing, to see what other routes you could've taken. Characters will also be set, and that includes The Lost. However, you cannot unlock new items during a daily challenge.

The scoring system is a little bit complicated, so here is Edmund's explanation.

Positive points:

+ 200 points per floor cleared

+400 points for sheol / cathedral / chest / dark room

+666 points for boss rush / mega satan

+1 point swag bonus for each held pickup on completion/death (bombs, keys, pennies)

+??? for secret bonus points

——–

Negative points:

-1 point per second spent playing (rewards for fast play)

-10 per hit taken from an enemy / obstacles (damage from items/donations/etc don’t count as damage) (rewards for how well you play)

-?? per item taken (still testing this but i want people to be a bit more choosy on what they take and push risk reward a bit more here)

There will also be Daily Specials, which take place on specific, special days of the year. These can have different visual styles and different loadouts, and there can also be challenge themed runs. On top of this, Monday will be Hard Mode Day for daily runs, to make your Mondays that much better.

r5MmVJH.png

Per Edmund's blog:
  • Over 100 hours of MORE gameplay
  • Greed Mode - a whole new way to play, focused on risk/reward
  • Expanded main game - a new final area with a new final boss
  • Daily Runs – play a new official run, everyday!
  • Online Leaderboards - compete for highscore/best time
  • 10 totally new and awesome challenges!
  • 1000+ new room designs, as well as room
  • MONSTROUSLY UPDATED WEAPON COMBO SYSTEM!
  • 120 new items–not counting tons of new pickups, chests, pills, bombs and cards–taking the item count up beyond 500!
  • Alternate soundtrack!
  • Tons of new secret transformations!
  • MOAR new achievements
  • Lilith, mother of demons, a totally new playable character
  • 4 new alternate chapters with new enemy types and visual themes
  • Revised seed code combo system and new special seeds
  • 100+ enemies, with new designs
  • 8 new bosses
  • Even more rooms FULL OF POOP!
  • and probably at least 5 other features we can’t remember due to all the crap that we threw into this little monster

Also 4-Player local co-op!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
over 1000 hours in rebirth and binding

My body is most certainly ready

When does it unlock?

*cries and vomits in excitement and idly wonders if that will synergize*

Oh man. I am ready for not being ready

I am hoping (stupidly) that there is a huge secret we will come together and discover organically that is much better than the Lost and not found through datamining

Haunted

Just saw that the Rebirth thread got bumped, good reminder. Checked Steam, and it's already prepped and ready to go.

I love PC gaming in 2015. :D

Real happy I skipped most of the dev blog announcements - time to get exploring!

Dingle.png

jotun?

I am hoping (stupidly) that there is a huge secret we will come together and discover organically that is much better than the Lost and not found through datamining
The achievements list in Steam is already updated, and one of them is "Special Hanging Shopkeepers - Unlocked a secret"

Razmos

Phew, got it cheap. Thanks for the OT, OP, or I would have completely forgot.

Totally forgot this was coming out today, I know what I'm doing all weekend <3

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Super psyched. Prepurchased as soon as I could. I'm all in, baby.

Tiops

Oh fuck, already? I'm about to get my platinum in Rebirth ("just" need to create a Super Meat Boy) and was thinking I would be finally free from this game...

Puruzi

Banned
Forgot to pre-purchase it and I don't have the money for it right now, but hype nonetheless. Probs gonna watch Northernlion until I get the money for it

Afrodium

Banned
I can't freaking wait for this game. Got
fake
Platinum God in Rebirth and want to sink 100+ more hours into this. One of my favorite games ever.

Console release soon please. I'm beggin' ya Edmund.

I would need to buy the PC version of rebirth and this if I wanted to play ,right?

I think I'll just wait for the vita version rather than buy 2 games and lose my complete 100% file for the base game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Can't wait for this. I basically haven't played anything else since Rebirth came out, this will suck me in even further.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Is Cobalt planning anything? Havent kept up with the Streaming scene recently, loved his and Dicks Marathon for Rebirth

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
WTF? Still no PS Vita date? IIRC wasnt this already released in Japan WITH the Afterbirth update?

Occam

Can't wait for the Vita release. Binding of Isaac Rebirth is the perfect handheld game, so more of the same = better.

beanman25

I'm so ready. Called off anything I had to do today. Bought a 6 pack and now i patiently wait for noon. even though it'll probably be like 12:06 because it always seems late.

Stat!

I can't wait for the Ps4 release. At least I have some good ol' Northernlion to keep me entertained in the meantime.

Binding of Isaac is one of the few games Ive played pretty much every day a year post-launch.

Nere

Can't wait for the Vita release. Binding of Isaac Rebirth is the perfect handheld game, so more of the same = better.

Same here. I absolutely adore this game but I don't think it suits a PC on the other hand its a perfect fit for the Vita, so I will be waiting for that release to get it. Hope it comes soon.

Meia

Cannot wait. Been trying to platinum the vita one(on the playstation tv) after getting it on the PC in August, so I'm ready. :D

Mr Cola

Anyone hard on their finances and fancy the game? I had a good day, pm if you are interested (limit 2)

Top Bottom