• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 : REMASTERED |OT| If somehow a tenner gave me a second chance at that moment... I would do it all over again

Strategize

So here's a take. Ashley Johnson's performance in The Last of Us Part II is the best in any game ever.

Over the years I held the opinion the Roger Clark (Arthur) in RDR2 was the greatest performance in any game ever, but after playing TLOU2 again, I was wrong. There just isn't another performance in gaming that has not just the execution, but also the range of emotion that Ashley has to express over the course of TLOU2. I feel on my first playthrough being so wrapped up in it, I didn't fully appreciate all she had to do here, and the level she did it at.

She literally plays Ellie from 4 different time periods in this game.
One Ellie that is most reminiscent of Left Behind when she goes to the museum with Joel.
One Ellie developing more and more survivors guilt as she starts to peel back the truth behind Joel's lie.
One Ellie from the "main" time period filled with rage and bloodlust, but with conflicting moments.
One Ellie from the Epilogue struggling with PTSD, but also taking care of a child and girlfriend.

Even all of these 4 different performances have individual layers, up and downs, it isn't just 4 slightly different voices, they all have depth. And if that wasn't enough, she sings, and she doesn't just sing, she sings in Ellie's voice and cadence, purposefully "worse" than her own.

It's simply the GOAT performance, one that also stands up to some of best TV and movies have to offer.
34d6c36ca4ce0b9a26be168ae39a714312189687.gif

Last edited:

Three

So here's a take. Ashley Johnson's performance in The Last of Us Part II is the best in any game ever.

Over the years I held the opinion the Roger Clark (Arthur) in RDR2 was the greatest performance in any game ever, but after playing TLOU2 again, I was wrong. There just isn't another performance in gaming that has not just the execution, but also the range of emotion that Ashley has to express over the course of TLOU2. I feel on my first playthrough being so wrapped up in it, I didn't fully appreciate all she had to do here, and the level she did it at.

One Ellie that is most reminiscent of Left Behind when she goes to the museum with Joel.
One Ellie developing more and more survivors guilt as she starts to peel back the truth behind Joel's lie.
One Ellie from the "main" time period filled with rage and bloodlust, but with conflicting moments.
One Ellie from the Epilogue struggling with PTSD, but also taking care of a child and girlfriend.

Even all of these 4 different performances have individual layers, up and downs, it isn't just 4 slightly different voices, they all have depth. And if that wasn't enough, she sings, and she doesn't just sing, she sings in Ellie's voice and cadence, purposefully "worse" than her own.

It's simply the GOAT performance, one that also stands up to some of best TV and movies have to offer.
She was even her own mother

Bartski

Gold Member

man, as I'm going through the campaign again I think Jeffrey Pierce doesn't get enough love. He kinda sucked in the TV show but every Tommy scene in the game is so good

man, as I'm going through the campaign again I think Jeffrey Pierce doesn't get enough love. He kinda sucked in the TV show but every Tommy scene in the game is so good
I really hope Part 3 centers around him. He's an unbelievable actor. His role as Mother in Medal of Honor (2010) as well as Medal of Honor: Warfighter is outstanding.

He was the best part of CoD WWII as well.

And of course he was unbelievable as Tommy in the first Last of Us. Though only in the game a limited time, the scene where he shoves Joel is probably my favorite in the whole game.

I really want to have the campaign center around him tracking down Abby and the fireflies with his injury and how it conflicts with surviving in that world and maybe Ellie sacrificing herself for the cure or something like that.

saintjules

Good points and I didn't think about those stages simultaneously like that.

First role (40:52)

Last edited:
Started a new game trying to get through the 'boring' parts in the opening. Was surprised how hooked I was. Had to force myself to stop shortly after the first Abby section. But I'm already super into it, knowing the characters and where everything leads. Think it will lend itself well to a replay when you already know the mains story beats.

Such a good game.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I really hope Part 3 centers around him. He's an unbelievable actor. His role as Mother in Medal of Honor (2010) as well as Medal of Honor: Warfighter is outstanding.

He was the best part of CoD WWII as well.

And of course he was unbelievable as Tommy in the first Last of Us. Though only in the game a limited time, the scene where he shoves Joel is probably my favorite in the whole game.

I really want to have the campaign center around him tracking down Abby and the fireflies with his injury and how it conflicts with surviving in that world and maybe Ellie sacrificing herself for the cure or something like that.
Tommy and Joel prequel with them doing the fucked up shit alluded to…this is the way…

I need to replay this game again on PS5 Pro. Was such an awesome experience playing Last Of US 2 on PS4 for the first time, even my partner (who's not at all into games) got hooked early on and watched me play the game through to the end just for the story.

Looking forward to season 2 of the series and the next game :)

DeepSpace5D

I’m a little bummed I can’t play at launch, especially to try “No Return” mode. I have a business trip for a couple months and sadly have to leave the PS5 behind until March. Hope y’all are having fun and I’m looking forward to joining the party when I get back.

King Dazzar

It would be much more realistic in some way lmao, as you’d expect Ellie to go on her journey with a few more packs of ammo than 6 handgun bullets only lol, and also that she’d picked up more than 1 bullet at a time by looting enemies corpses and Wolf ammo caches.
Its kind of weird as it adds to the balance of how the game is done, but at the same time, I'd like it to be removed lol. At least we have the unlockable cheats though :) Just realised after 12hrs I'm on Chapter 2 with 9 more chapters still to go!? I think its due to me scavenging every nook and cranny...

angrod14

They were all incredible. Laura Bailey was the highlight to me. It's incredible how different his real life voice is from Abby's. She managed to get a tone that fits the character so perfectly. Team Abby baby.

Goddamn what a fucking MASTERPIECE of a game.

Its like they made a game specifically tailored to me

Playing this and TLOU Part 1 back to back is just something special that isn't matched in gaming imo.

Like, the level of quality is truly just in another league. I don't know how anyone cannot love this and call themselves a fan of games.

We won't see another game with such polish and attention to detail until GTA6, and that team is like 30x the size as the one that made this with 300X the budget.

Jesus I cant wait for TLOU 3 - Going to raise the bar again.
It's because of posts like this that Sony did TLOU Part 1 remake and this remaster.

What i wouldn't give to erase both games from my memory and play them first time, back to back right now.

Imagine getting a PS5 right now for the first time and having these 2 games waiting for you. That a moment for sure!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't know how anyone cannot love this and call themselves a fan of games.
It's mid, TLOUPT1 is better 😁
Anyway back to what I came here for.
Is true that
Joel & Tommy can't dodge in No Return
If so...
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Represent. Represent.
Just for dog, I'm gonna upgrade my copy and actually try and play it all the way through 💪

Last edited:
Yeah the game looks better now in 4k, but fuck Sony and Naughty Dog for boldfaced lying about the "graphical improvements". If you look on PSN and read the description they make it out as if they ACTUALLY increased settings. It literally says "a HOST of DIFFERENT GRAPHICAL IMPROVEMENTS".

So other than resolution what are these "hosts" of graphical improvements?

Like seriously this "remaster" is disappointing as hell if you were hoping to really see what this game could look like on the PS5...

Yeah the game looks better now in 4k, but fuck Sony and Naughty Dog for boldfaced lying about the "graphical improvements". If you look on PSN and read the description they make it out as if they ACTUALLY increased settings. It literally says "a HOST of DIFFERENT GRAPHICAL IMPROVEMENTS".

Like seriously this "remaster" is disappointing as hell if you were hoping to really see what this game could look like on the PS5...
Honestly? At 4k unlocked framerate...how many games look better than this on PS5?
I'm struggling to think about them, even exclusive games.

The level of details, animation, mocap, voice acting, etc was unmatched in 2020 and even now i struggle to think about PS5 games that do...

violence

It’s sort of like paid DLC

Honestly? At 4k unlocked framerate...how many games look better than this on PS5?
I'm struggling to think about them, even exclusive games.

The level of details, animation, mocap, voice acting, etc was unmatched in 2020 and even now i struggle to think about PS5 games that do...

That's not the POINT and I think you know that. Think of all the good remasters you've played, they do more than just increase resolution! They increase settings add better forms of AA, bump out lods, improve shadow quality, and sometimes improve textures. I just played Hellblade on Series X which got a stealth update and even that had tons of improved graphical settings (according to DF article it was improved even over the PC version).

Then you get this "remaster" and not only is it advertised as a remaster but Sony and Naughty have to go a step further and explicitly SAY "we're improving graphics settings" ...WHY, if you're not ACTUALLY doing what you claim?

I get it the game still looks better than most games this gen ..that's totally besides the point though isn't it?

Toots

Gold Member
Story, gameplay, level design, audio, animation, if there's any game that actually looks & plays like a AAAA title, this would be ONLY game I'd give that classification to. 4 years later & it's still mind-blowing to me how ultra polished it is, puts other AAA studios to shame.
IMG_7176.png
Do you know how Naughty Dog managed to achieve such a high level of production values ?
By letting Eben cook
Bye Bye Goodbye GIF by Jimmy Arca

The Metacritic warriors are still a thing, a lot of 0’s and 1’s still going on after almost 4 years.

Some people really won’t let go.

tommib

Bill as the protag of the prequel and I'm there day one.
You would never have a gay man as main character. They’re non-existent. The industry virtue-signals inclusivity so much but they know a gay male main protagonist is a no-no. I bet they did their market research.

bender

What time is it?
You would never have a gay man as main character. They’re non-existent. The industry virtue-signals inclusivity so much but they know a gay male main protagonist is a no-no. I bet they did their market research.

Bill was awesome and I don't care how he gets his rocks off.

Alebrije

Last night started Seattle day 1 with not Ellie.

Must say this remaster has delivered the best visuals on My tv of all the games I have played , the tv is a "basic" 120 hz LG not oled and the colors are prefect for each scene, HDR on this Game is great. I spend a lot of time watching the stores, houses, Canopy,etc

The new mode is fine but they should have included multiplayer , just imagine 2 or 3 Friends vs hordes..do not know if that is difficult to include but would be great.

Think ND can develop two more games from this IP and should reléase on this order:

1)TLOU: Origins. That takes the story of Tommy and Joel after the outbreak

2)TLOU 3 : End Ellie's story.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

I buy games almost exclusively digitally now, but I really wish I had the physical copies for Parts 1 and 2. ND made the two covers mirror each other and it looks awesome.

Also super jealous of people who get to play both games for the first time on PS5. That would be absolutely mind blowing. I’m playing through Part 1 right now and it still blows me away after a decade. The remake is actually a monumental upgrade and I’m so happy it exists. I don’t care what people say about it. I would be over the moon if some of my other favorite 7th gen games got the same treatment.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Last night started Seattle day 1 with not Ellie.

Must say this remaster has delivered the best visuals on My tv of all the games I have played , the tv is a "basic" 120 hz LG not oled and the colors are prefect for each scene, HDR on this Game is great. I spend a lot of time watching the stores, houses, Canopy,etc

The new mode is fine but they should have included multiplayer , just imagine 2 or 3 Friends vs hordes..do not know if that is difficult to include but would be great.

Think ND can develop two more games from this IP and should reléase on this order:

1)TLOU: Origins. That takes the story of Tommy and Joel after the outbreak

2)TLOU 3 : End Ellie's story.
Honestly this prequel would be kind a great idea. Wouldn't be too big of a departure from the other smaller side game that Sony have been doing with some of their IPs (Uncharted : Lost Legacy, Miles Morales). I'd even be open to other genres within the universe, like a Frostpunk style Last of Us city builder would be a day one for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom