• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 : REMASTERED |OT| If somehow a tenner gave me a second chance at that moment... I would do it all over again

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
just gonna leave this here

I had a hilarious Rattler Queen encounter last night where i completely fucked it up and found myself on the ground after being shot. luckily i had an OP rifle and kept shooting any incoming rattlers in the legs while prone on my back. because thats basically the only shot i had. they all had their legs blown off and died screaming holding their dismembered legs. each of them had their own unique animations. there must have been like 5 of them all spread out within feet of each other. hilarious but also kinda cool how they animated so many different animations for a shot in the leg.

the detail in this game approaches MGS levels at times.

Bartski

Gold Member
I had a hilarious Rattler Queen encounter last night where i completely fucked it up and found myself on the ground after being shot. luckily i had an OP rifle and kept shooting any incoming rattlers in the legs while prone on my back. because thats basically the only shot i had. they all had their legs blown off and died screaming holding their dismembered legs. each of them had their own unique animations. there must have been like 5 of them all spread out within feet of each other. hilarious but also kinda cool how they animated so many different animations for a shot in the leg.

the detail in this game approaches MGS levels at times.
I haven't played an MGS in years but I don't recall anything close to this rag doll precision. I shot this dude on top of the tower on the left and he fell and landed on the railing like this.
I hate the fact dead enemies get despawned after exceeding a certain number, but I understand how taxing doing all the math for every scene would have been otherwise.

SlimySnake

I haven't played an MGS in years but I don't recall anything close to this rag doll precision. I shot this dude on top of the tower on the left and he fell and landed on the railing like this.
I hate the fact dead enemies get despawned after exceeding a certain number, but I understand how taxing doing all the math for every scene would have been otherwise.
I didnt mean in terms of physics. MGSV is a PS3 era game after all. I just meant in terms of detail. The game is one of those detail rich games like Kojima's games where you still find new things years later. Mostly minor things most people wouldnt even notice.

Just the other day i headshot a dude with a hunting pistol and he got thrown backwards due to the sheer force of the shot. Typically they just get stunned and fall down. this got lifted in the air and fell backwards. Never seen that animation and ive been playing this game on and off for almost four years now.

Vick

The explosion right at the start of Part 1 in the house with the news airing on the TV is brilliant. It adds a rattle on the walls of the bedroom when it happens. Both parts have some great bits of audio at times for sure.
They did the same in Part II with the Rat King noises when examining its door. It's insane how good these details feel on a home theatre.

GooseMan69

Say what you want about her, but Abby Days 2 and 3 is the high point of the game imo. Day 2 has the sky bridge, infested hotel with wall stalkers (tense as fuck), and the hospital basement which culminates with the rat king fight. Then Day 3 has the Tommy sniper fight, scar island, and the theater 1 v 1. Amazing.

Woggleman

Say what you want about her, but Abby Days 2 and 3 is the high point of the game imo. Day 2 has the sky bridge, infested hotel with wall stalkers (tense as fuck), and the hospital basement which culminates with the rat king fight. Then Day 3 has the Tommy sniper fight, scar island, and the theater 1 v 1. Amazing.
I sort of agree with you but Hillcrest to me is still the best section. Putting it on grounded captures the raw urban warfare aspect of the game like no other section.

Bartski

Gold Member
Pure grounded with Lev done! I must have done over 100 runs now (80%+ failed...) and this was the first time I've had ally teaming up for the boss, didn't know that was possible.
Rat King attacking multiple targets, where did that code come from I wonder #factions2rip

SlimySnake

Pure grounded with Lev done! I must have done over 100 runs now (80%+ failed...) and this was the first time I've had ally teaming up for the boss, didn't know that was possible.
Rat King attacking multiple targets, where did that code come from I wonder #factions2rip
Had Jesse join me at the Arcade bloater yesterday. Wonder if the latest patch added this.

Jaybe

Was the upgrade ultimately worth it, particularly No Return? I was considering another run, and already own it digitally. I’d likely go with performance mode with VRR but I understand the base game got upgraded to 60fps via a patch and there is minimal difference graphically on performance. Thanks in advance.

Woggleman

Was the upgrade ultimately worth it, particularly No Return? I was considering another run, and already own it digitally. I’d likely go with performance mode with VRR but I understand the base game got upgraded to 60fps via a patch and there is minimal difference graphically on performance. Thanks in advance.
For ten bucks I say yes but opinions may vary.

SlimySnake

The new mode should be worth the price.

The 4k mode is rather samey but if you have a good vrr tv you can play in Fidelity mode that gets you 40 fps locked or 45-60 fps unlocked in most cases. Game has a very soft look in the performance mode so 4k does help here. Just dont go in expecting miracles and turn off chromatic abberation which hides the native 4k upgrade.

Topher

Gold Member

I got to platinum the game again. Worth it for me

GooseMan69

I sort of agree with you but Hillcrest to me is still the best section. Putting it on grounded captures the raw urban warfare aspect of the game like no other section.

Ellie Day 2 is definitely up there. Probably has the best human encounters in the whole game.

GooseMan69

I hope they ratchet up the enemy AI even more in Part 3. Part II was a huge step up but it feels like they’re still holding it back a little bit. Imagine if enemies could go prone, set traps and ambushes, stalk the player, etc. They have the systems in place to do all that. Kinda like the Ellie and David boss fights, but on a larger scale, and without the one hit kills. Less enemies but make them smarter.

Last edited:

Red-Dead-Ocelot

Gold Member
I was wrong about Abby. Being so invested in Ellie's story, it was such a big change in narrative playing her. I've come to love her character and story. I'm close to the end, and enjoying her story is so delightful.

i understand the discourse surrounding this game. And with that, i'm really enjoying the hell out of it. Just my 2 cents, love this game.

Never got past the opening section on PS4, picked this up. I had no idea
you saved Abby’s life as Joel right before she murders him.
Made it hit a little bit different.

Loving the combat so far, though the AI is pretty weak. But it’s a huge step up in terms of building lore in the game world, so many more compelling notes and shit than the first game.

Sometimes I just play No Return and pretend it’s Factions 2.
Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

whatup

Hadn't done a full playthrough since PS4, and finally plowed through the remaster over the last week. The story still isn't quite as tight as the first, and I think something about some of the character designs in Abby's storyline is slightly off in a way that undercuts buy-in, from the goofiness of Abby's build, to the ken-doll aesthetic of Owen (though I thought it was a nice character moment the way his burn scars were revealed). But so much of it works, and works really well. There's still virtually no other game, except the first, that can match the combination of writing, voice acting, mocap performances, etc.

I wonder whether the show will turn pt 2 into three seasons ((i) Ellie w/cliffhanger Abby confrontation, (ii) Rashomon-style reframing of Abby with theater fight climax, and (iii) Santa Barbara expedition). If it tweaks just a few things, it could really be lights out, especially for those who haven't played the game.

Not a fan of the Abby character so far. Not the Joel stuff, but just the way she is written. Her commentary when you find artifacts are always so arrogant and sometimes deranged. A far cry from Ellie's responses. I do enjoy the more close quarters aspect of her play style though, it's different than Ellie but still enjoyable. Just got to the part where she is saved from being gutted by the two other people.

Ulysses 31

Not a fan of the Abby character so far. Not the Joel stuff, but just the way she is written. Her commentary when you find artifacts are always so arrogant and sometimes deranged. A far cry from Ellie's responses. I do enjoy the more close quarters aspect of her play style though, it's different than Ellie but still enjoyable. Just got to the part where she is saved from being gutted by the two other people.
You'll see she's also a bit inconsistent when it comes to repaying others who've saved her life. 👀

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

$10 for some new trophies. Was worth it to me but I love the game.

Ulysses 31

Saved by someone you’ve built up a hatred for years vs saved by someone you just met.
Technically she just met Joel too and the only things she's personally seen of him is saving her and fighting by her side. Naw, Abby was setup for be too unlikeable the rest of the game for my tastes.

Last edited:

Pelta88

I went completely dark when I heard that the spoilers for TLOU2 had leaked. Signed out of every platform to ensure I avoided them. The hype was too real. And it wasn't until I finished the game that I realized that the controversy was something I had barely paid attention to in game.

Finished the game tonight.

Wasn’t a fan of Abby through the game but the last few parts of her story were really good. They did a good job of breaking down her characters flaws using Lev and their relationship.

Not sure why Ellie needed to go back. Her emotions and PTSD will just be even worse, and now she sucks ass at guitar.

I’d rate the game an 8/10 easy, which is a great score in my scale. Dragged on too long and the AI is meh. Like I love how they yell things and the animations are top notch but at the end of the day it’s still very weak but that’s a criticism I guess you can lob at every game the last couple generations.

Still say they did a much better job building lore throughout the world than they did in game one. Not quite Fallout levels of wasteland lore and misery to read but it was good.

As bloated as it was, why were the Rattlers just thrown in at the end with nothing to explain them or build them up? Weird.

Gotta play NG+ to unlock the two story trophies I didn’t already get, lame 🙄

Toons

I was wrong about Abby. Being so invested in Ellie's story, it was such a big change in narrative playing her. I've come to love her character and story. I'm close to the end, and enjoying her story is so delightful.

i understand the discourse surrounding this game. And with that, i'm really enjoying the hell out of it. Just my 2 cents, love this game.

The discourse was irrevocably screwed with the leak. Imagine the alternate timelinr where ppl got to experience the game as it was intended, not already having decided all their opinions.

I think the discourse would've been a lot less volatile. Still volatile but the way the game plays out, it's best experienced as it happens.

skneogaf

I took a couple of weeks off from playing this on grounded, I played a bit today.

I'm up to the part where you play as abby and you lift up Lev and yara and they need to open the door.

There's something like 6 clickers, 6 runners and 2 shamblers all running around chasing me and I've got what feels like a couple of bricks to kill them.

Very difficult

Got the last two trophies for the platinum today. Will probably leave it installed and fuck around in No Return sometimes.

I also reinstalled the first one and have been playing Factions. Makes the Factions 2 cancelation sting even more. It’s so good when people aren’t using busted or pay to win stuff.

Also I saw a pay to win perk in action today… there’s a perk you have to buy that can greatly shorten the fuse time on thrown bombs. Saw a dude stun two dudes with a smoke and barbecue one of them and blow the other one up with a bomb before their stuns were even over 😅

Bartski

Gold Member

29.3 million runs encounters. Is that a lot?

I recall them saying they would monitor how well the mode is doing to decide if it's worth taking further...

Last edited:
Top Bottom