• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival is retail only in North America and Europe

Renewed

Then that must be a whole lot of amiibo....

It's not available as a standalone game right? You have to buy the amiibo that are bundled in?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
That's one way to avoid the "I thought it was a free download" rumour.

Already known from Gamexplain video with Treehouse.

I feel like the Karaoke game was as well

Probably don't want folks to buy it and not be able to play it

You can buy Sing Party digitally.

But how is Nintendo Land still not back on the Eshop after like two years?!!!!!

Blues1990

It's pretty weird that both this game and Nintendo Land aren't available for digital purchase. There doesn't seem to be any rational reason why this should be the case.

Renewed

yeah, its in a bundle only, no standalone game

Interesting that this is where we are after a year with amiibo. Might be more releases like this in the future?

But how is Nintendo Land still not back on the Eshop after like two years?!!!!!

That's interesting to me, because Nintendo Land doesn't seem to be bundled with the upcoming Splat Smash bundle. Surely we're not back to getting physical/no-digital releases? Or these are just rare instances?

scamander

Banned
Interesting that this is where we are after a year with amiibo. Might be more releases like this in the future?

Well, you can't play this game without Animal Crossing amiibo and the figurines, which you'll need for the main mode, launch together with the game. It does make sense to only offer the game as a bundle.

That's interesting to me, because Nintendo Land doesn't seem to be bundled with the upcoming Splat Smash bundle. Surely we're not back to getting physical/no-digital releases? Or these are just rare instances?

Afaik Nintendo Land still available on the European eShop.

Shiggy

Oh, seems to be the first free-to-play title that you need to purchase at retail.

You see what I did there?

Mine should be here tonight, but I'll probably be busy with Trials of Osiris. I won't be able to play until tomorrow. I'm excited about the amiibo, though.

ngower

I can't find a single review. Mine arrived but I dunno if I should return it or not.

I bought mine at my lunch break, waiting to open until I get *some* impressions. I may not open it regardless. I'm not sure what I'd get out of this game and the Isabelle amiibo is the only real reason I want it.

It's not available as a standalone game right? You have to buy the amiibo that are bundled in?
You can't even get past the title screen without an Animal Crossing amiibo and no the SSB Villager doesn't count here.

I'm not sure if you can play the board game 4 player with a single amiibo if so it makes the whole amiibo lock confusing.

Afaik Nintendo Land still available on the European eShop.
Yep for £50/€60 as well. I paid £5 for my disc copy.

I can't find a single review. Mine arrived but I dunno if I should return it or not.
Reviewers only received review copies a few days ago. The Gamexplain stream was a bit of a disaster as they wanted to show off a lot of the features but had underestimated just how much you needed to play to unlock things (apparently you need to play 2 months of the board game just to unlock the ability to unlock anything else).

IzzyF3

I might need to buy and wait for reviews and see if I'll keep it or not. I'm a big fan of designer board games, but I don't know if this game can excel in this.

My wife and I played one round with our 3 year old this morning and had enough fun that we plan on playing it alone tonight when I get out of work.

We really like Animal Crossing though.

Cindro

So there isn't even an OT for this? I'm morbidly curious to read impressions, being a huge Animal Crossing fan. The complete lack of fanfare (even for such a lackluster looking title) is surprising.

HUELEN10

So there isn't even an OT for this? I'm morbidly curious to read impressions, being a huge Animal Crossing fan. The complete lack of fanfare (even for such a lackluster looking title) is surprising.
Check my recent posts. I was supposed to do the OT but due to circumstances beyond my control with computer troubles, I am unable to. Again, I am very sorry about this. I reached out to the thread for AC but no one has posted a reply, and I let the OT OT know; I really wanted to do it.

If you want to make one instead, do so with my full support and blessing. Otherwise if I don't see a thread by early next week, I will make one; should have computer issues fixed by then (gotta set everything up).

Draxal

Check my recent posts. I was supposed to do the OT but due to circumstances beyond my control with computer troubles, I am unable to. Again, I am very sorry about this. I reached out to the thread for AC but no one has posted a reply, and I let the OT OT know; I really wanted to do it.

If you want to make one instead, do so with my full support and blessing. Otherwise if I don't see a thread by early next week, I will make one; should have computer issues fixed by then (gotta set everything up).

I don't think anybody's blaming you, but just the lack of interest in the game.

This was confirmed awhile ago, bit nice to hear it. Target not even shipping it. Nintendo letting this game die. Oh well...

finch

It's cute and chill, but that might translate into "boring and slow" depending on if you like these digital board games or not. I thought it'd be kind of like Fortune Street, but at least what i've played is way lighter than that.
It's probably great if you have young kids old enough to understand and that think the characters are cute.

I might need to buy and wait for reviews and see if I'll keep it or not. I'm a big fan of designer board games, but I don't know if this game can excel in this.

I bought mine at my lunch break, waiting to open until I get *some* impressions. I may not open it regardless. I'm not sure what I'd get out of this game and the Isabelle amiibo is the only real reason I want it.

I'm not sure if you can play the board game 4 player with a single amiibo if so it makes the whole amiibo lomechanicsing.

(apparently you need to play 2 months of the board game just to unlock the ability to unlock anything else).

Been playing for a few hours now. When you first start up you're forced to play the board game mode whole thing lasts for an hour and 15 minutes. You can level up the amiibo and get alternate clothing and stuff but I haven't been back to check and see what I got. After playing one round, it unlocks seasons which allows you to choose the month. You can set a time limit too of 30, 45, or 60 minutes. When you near the end in 30 the head Villager who's the "announcer" will ask if you wanna put 10 more minutes on the clock. Honestly the board game night be fun with other players but its an annoying chore as a single player. You're forced to watch any sequences the other players go through which is infuriating during events like Shrink's jokes and purchasing cards from Redd (which you use in the game, like a 5 space roll)

After that it unlocked a Balloon game for me, you use your cards to drop a Villager down into an island. You have to bounce around in balloons first though. It's also a multiplayer game but there's not much too it really. The objective is to unlock other attractions by getting tickets which you can get through playing attractions. Playing a full hour and a half of the board game got me two (unless they give you one to start?) And I was averaging about 20 some points on the balloon game (100 is needed for 1 ticket). Each attraction is worth different amounts of tickets. So like I bought a Resetti game that's like wackamole but with the amiibo cards (using the rock paper scissors mechanic). I couldn't figure out anything and the game offered no help; you have to quickly read the character's symbol and the one that appears on the inflatable Resetti and scan the card in. I found this game to be a huge fucking clusterfuck because by the time you scanned the card in, the Resetti had already left. Don't get this one until last because its just awful.

By far the best one is the Desert Island Escape which is probably one everyone will love. 30 levels to play (10 each in the difficulty) and tons of strategy layers like character abilities, deciding what to do etc. I'm excited to see if I can turn it into a multiplayer game as its only single player but I think it could be interesting to play with friends.

Overall there nothing really shouting out yet that this is a must buy. I was thinking this would be a great alternative for parties instead of Nintendoland but overall it's just kind of meh. To be honest the best part is probably the cards and figures which I assume is the reason for the price because I would have taken this game back already. :/

I'm a huge AC fan so it's a little disappointing to see a pretty average game where this could have been ridiculously fun for a multiplayer, especially with online.

So does that mean I can walk into a Walmart and they'll give me the free download code?

No the game is $59.99.

You get two amiibo figures and 3 cards which allow you to play everything in the game. There's no free version and I think it was likely a misinterpretation that there ever was a free version.

finalflame

I bought it, but I have no idea who I'm going to play it with. Alone, I guess. I mostly did it for the Amiibos. Wanna have all the AC ones.

IzzyF3

Been playing for a few hours now. When you first start up you're forced to play the board game mode whole thing lasts for an hour and 15 minutes. You can level up the amiibo and get alternate clothing and stuff but I haven't been back to check and see what I got. After playing one round, it unlocks seasons which allows you to choose the month. You can set a time limit too of 30, 45, or 60 minutes. When you near the end in 30 the head Villager who's the "announcer" will ask if you wanna put 10 more minutes on the clock. Honestly the board game night be fun with other players but its an annoying chore as a single player. You're forced to watch any sequences the other players go through which is infuriating during events like Shrink's jokes and purchasing cards from Redd (which you use in the game, like a 5 space roll)

After that it unlocked a Balloon game for me, you use your cards to drop a Villager down into an island. You have to bounce around in balloons first though. It's also a multiplayer game but there's not much too it really. The objective is to unlock other attractions by getting tickets which you can get through playing attractions. Playing a full hour and a half of the board game got me two (unless they give you one to start?) And I was averaging about 20 some points on the balloon game (100 is needed for 1 ticket). Each attraction is worth different amounts of tickets. So like I bought a Resetti game that's like wackamole but with the amiibo cards (using the rock paper scissors mechanic). I couldn't figure out anything and the game offered no help; you have to quickly read the character's symbol and the one that appears on the inflatable Resetti and scan the card in. I found this game to be a huge fucking clusterfuck because by the time you scanned the card in, the Resetti had already left. Don't get this one until last because its just awful.

By far the best one is the Desert Island Escape which is probably one everyone will love. 30 levels to play (10 each in the difficulty) and tons of strategy layers like character abilities, deciding what to do etc. I'm excited to see if I can turn it into a multiplayer game as its only single player but I think it could be interesting to play with friends.

Overall there nothing really shouting out yet that this is a must buy. I was thinking this would be a great alternative for parties instead of Nintendoland but overall it's just kind of meh. To be honest the best part is probably the cards and figures which I assume is the reason for the price because I would have taken this game back already. :/

I'm a huge AC fan so it's a little disappointing to see a pretty average game where this could have been ridiculously fun for a multiplayer, especially with online.

Thanks for the impressions, spyroflame. I don't think this game will get much play time from me, but I really want those amiibos. What to do... What to do...

Amazon dropped the price to $55.81 if anyone is looking to save a few bucks or price match.

Bomba already.
I kid.

Unlocked some more games...getting them all is a huge time consuming pain in the ass. Balloon game is the best to grind on as its short and if you can rack up high scores when you get the hang of it, you can get points very easily.

Fruit Path has you play cards and the number on the dice determines how far you move. You can fall into holes if your bag gets too heavy with fruit. Not sure if its gonna be competitive but I found it boring. You'll probably need more cards to do well in this game.

Quiz show is cute but there's no way a non- AC fan would get much of the questions. I had trouble with some of the music and items, though the fact that stuff like shoes are all in here leads me to believe a Wii U animal crossing is definitely 100% in the works. There's tons of AC assets in this game in HD. There HAS to be an Wii U game coming. Also, it asks you about the paintings and who made them so I hope you've brushed up on your painters.

Acorn Chase is another trash game. It requires you to move around and gather acorns in a time limit while being chased by "Cortinmer" Car which is that little acorn car from the one island minigame in New Leaf. Your amiibo cards determine the direction and it makes it incredibly difficult to move around without quickly memorizing which card you have in your hand and trying to scan it in fast enough. Especially when you turn and then everything shifts. It's dumb, don't get that one til last either.

Still have Mystery Campers and amiibo Card Battlrnto unlock. Not really in the mood to grind tonight so maybe tomorrow.

Adding characters onto the board game is easy, there's 8 spaces for Villagers (you can kick our Rosie, Stitches and Goldie if you want) and you can build quite a few "features" which are like PWP but require tickets. It says they open up new paths on the board though. There's lots of cool ones like Orchards, gardens, a power plant, an outdoor theater, a reset center and a cafe. Adding villagers allows you the chance to have them roll for you I guess if you pass their house.

Outsides of the house also show up, so Octavian has the whole Splatoon house going on which is neat. Kind of a shame they didn't make special promo cards of Al, Filly of the Felyne villagers.

Edit: ah, Digby's second outfit is the raincoat. I dunno if that's what everyone will get but thats what I got getting to lv 1

Adding characters onto the board game is easy, there's 8 spaces for Villagers (you can kick our Rosie, Stitches and Goldie if you want) and you can build quite a few "features" which are like PWP but require tickets. It says they open up new paths on the board though. There's lots of cool ones like Orchards, gardens, a power plant, an outdoor theater, a reset center and a cafe. Adding villagers allows you the chance to have them roll for you I guess if you pass their house.

Outsides of the house also show up, so Octavian has the whole Splatoon house going on which is neat. Kind of a shame they didn't make special promo cards of Al, Filly of the Felyne villagers.

Wait... Octavian has a Splatoon house?

Wait... Octavian has a Splatoon house?
The default has a custom "paint Splatter" effect that as far as I know is completely original to HHD. When you scan him in it unlocks a full paint Splatter exterior for the house. If I can get down to that part of the board I'll snap a pic lol

The default has a custom "paint Splatter" effect that as far as I know is completely original to HHD. When you scan him in it unlocks a full paint Splatter exterior for the house. If I can get down to that part of the board I'll snap a pic lol

Well I know whose Amiibo Card I'll be scanning tomorrow.

I wonder if you give someone the MH furniture and save it to the card it will show up in AF... >_>

Well I know whose Amiibo Card I'll be scanning tomorrow.

I wonder if you give someone the MH furniture and save it to the card it will show up in AF... >_>
Here we go!

atJixLe.jpg

Hope that's not too big as I'm typing on my phone lol.

That's a good question actually. Same with the 7-11 stuff. I'm have to toss some in someone's house and scan it in. I know the Nintnedo stuff is definitely there as the quiz show mentioned Varia Shoes. But I'll double check stuff

Zeldana

Neo Member
I hope you've brushed up on your painters.
Now's as good a time as any to dip into art history, I suppose.

Thanks for the impressions, by the way. I'm more interested in Island Escape than the main feature and I'm happy to see it comes with some actual substance and not just, say, an island for each difficulty. But overall it's just the Wii U equivalent of HHD. Both games have plenty of small ideas that can be incorporated into future handheld and console ACs, but they needed some extra padding for the holidays.

Both games have plenty of small ideas that can be incorporated into future handheld and console ACs, but they needed some extra padding for the holidays.

Definitely. Looking closer its interesting that a lot of assets are here like Tortimer Island (the cabana where you come in), and the interiors of stores like Nooklings and Gracie Gracie, along with a few new things. I saw mention of a "shopping district" which looks like a combo of the shopping area part of town in HHD...and Resetti in a suit with no hat on.

KingBroly

Banned
I like that Amiibo Festival is more of a traditional Mario Party game, despite using amiibo.

But I suspect that it'll be a digital Baa (Buy an amiibo) game down the line, given how NOA have done things with exclusive amiibo.

nikos

Bought the game, mostly for the amiibo, but won't be able to play until tomorrow. Hope it's fun with two players.

finalflame

Mostly this game makes me depressed realizing how nice a proper AC game on WiiU would've been. Gorgeous assets and IQ, probably the best visual rendition of AC yet. Shame about the actual game, though. As others have said, mostly chance, very little skill, and quickly becomes boring.

Glad I only bought it for the Amiibo.

Blues1990

Mostly this game makes me depressed realizing how nice a proper AC game on WiiU would've been. Gorgeous assets and IQ, probably the best visual rendition of AC yet. Shame about the actual game, though. As others have said, mostly chance, very little skill, and quickly becomes boring.

Glad I only bought it for the Amiibo.

tumblr_inline_n0pjknttX31sxbakj.gif

But seriously, I know what you mean. I was hoping that the next Animal Crossing game would've taken what New Leaf had accomplished, and would make improvements to the mayor system. Such as having villagers being taxed to help fund projects, or how you can create pavements and road systems, as well as designate different plots of land for houses, flower beds, etc.

http://nintendoeverything.com/anima...icially-retail-only-in-north-america-as-well/

thats a surprise, got to be the first retail only nintendo 1st party title in a long while

i wonder if its retail only in japan as well

I can confirm that. This link shows just a disc icon instead of a disc/download icon.

Wii Party U also started off retail only worldwide but then it showed up on eshops later. Situation is vastly different cause of the amiibo but there is precedent somewhat.

I just wanted to give some more impressions, since there is no OT and people were asking for some. My wife and I played the two rounds of the board game needed to unlock everything else, the balloon game, and the island game. To preface, I am a fan of the main animal crossing games, and my wife has just gotten (really) into happy home designer but hasn't played any of the main games.

The board game was a fun, solid, but basic board game. There are actually way more events than just what the calendar shows, and there is some sort of special space to land on more often than not. Usually these will let you play a game or buy a card that have effects on the board, erase debt, or dice cards let you move a specific distance. The holiday events vary quite a bit in what they do, but usually change all the spaces to something different that causes various holiday events to occur (like fishing spaces for different rarities of fish) and are a good time to have the dice cards. The real meat of the competition starts when the stalk market opens in the second week. It basically lets you gamble your money on turnips from Joan. In our first game I took a long shot gamble on them that really paid off and got me something ridiculous like 80,000 bells, but I got really lucky. Overall, I thought the mode was fun, but just ok. My wife on the other hand really liked it, and wanted to play again right away. I'm really curious to open up more of the customization for the board.

The balloon game was simple fun. Spyroflame had a pretty good description of it so I don't have much to add. After popping the balloons you need to land on a moving island that has multipliers on it, and if you fall in the water you lose everything. This led to some intense moments and laughter in our house. We played if for about 15 minutes, but had a pretty good time doing so.

The island survival game was probably my favorite. We just played one easy level on it, and used a pass the pad style where we each played for one of the characters and swapped off on the third. We only played it once, but it seems like all of the amiibo cards have decent variety in their abilities. For example, I used Kapp'n and was excited to see that he had 6 movement points, which is a lot, and that he can move through shallow water. But this came with a drawback, because he used two movement points when traveling on land. While we were playing, my wife said "This seems like a game you would like to play by yourself." and I think she's right. It has just enough light strategy to be a good killing time type of game by myself, but I think it was more fun to play it as a team and talk strategy.

Overall so far, I'm glad we bought it. We didn't really take to the new mario party well so we were jonesing for a new board game-game to play. The amiibo usage is just a touch sketchy, since the main game at least shows that they don't really need them with the (human) villagers, but since they come with it for the price of a normal game, it isn't so bad. I'm hoping someone makes an OT soon, because I'd like to hear what others are thinking too!

fernoca

Got it yesterday along the first wave of the amiibo.

Wasn't able to play (work!) and I'm on my way to work again.

At least managed to open everything. :p

But yeah, impressions from others so far put it to be...just what I expected..an alternative and different board game to go along Mario Party, Nintendo Land, Wii Party and Gane & Wario...when my friends come over.

So do you need 4 amiibos to play with 4-players? Is there restrictions on players without amiibo?

Most of the "mulitplayer" games can be played with two amiibos; so for instance, you have the board game. You play with 1-4 players. You can play as an amiibo, and then the other 3 characters are taken by the CPU (it uses default human villagers which you can rename...kind of a shame you cant slap a mii face on it) Another game, Fruit Path is 2-4 players, you can just slap down two amiibo and play by yourself.

So for pretty much every single game, you can simply use the two amiibo and 3 cards that are included.

If you do play with 4 players, yeah you need 4 amiibos, although its different for each game like I mentioned (the Balloon one is another, you can play with 4 players, but you can actually use a single card for all 3 rounds for each player)

ngower

Thanks for all the impressions so far. You've dissuaded me from returning it, but not convinced me to open it yet. (Yet)

Is this game interesting in the slightest if it's just single-player? Because I don't have friends over often (I'm usually the one going to their places) and so if I'm being honest, I'm not sure this game will see much (if any) couch multiplayer action.

Top Bottom