• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom refers to Resident Evil 2 Remake as a "remaster" in financial call

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I was pulling Capcom's financial results for someone and noticed this was in the document:

In addition, we continue to make progress with our digital download strategy and with re-make of older
titles. In the fourth quarter, we plan to start selling a remastered version of “Resident Evil 0” as both
packaged software and a download. We have also decided to create a remastered version of “Resident
Evil 2”.
Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2015/2nd/explanation_2014_2nd_04.pdf

It seems Capcom's executives are calling it a remaster instead of a remake and put it in the same segment as Resident Evil 0.

Garlador

So I was pulling Capcom's financial results for someone and noticed this was in the document:

Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2015/2nd/explanation_2014_2nd_04.pdf

It seems Capcom's executives are calling it a remaster instead of a remake and put it in the same segment as Resident Evil 0.

"It's what you wanted, right?"
shinjilaughing-1024x536.jpg

I don't think we need to panic. Yet. It's still mentioned in the same paragraph as "re-make of old titles". What else are they "re-making"?

Z3M0G

REMake & RE0 has nice graphics which I assume made for a nice remaster...

but RE2? YIKES! I can't see how that could be acceptable with a simple re-master treatment...

Unless they bring it to the visual quality of RE0 / REmake, add motion capture, mouth movement, new models for EVERYTHING, etc... which would be a "Remake" at that point.

Maybe it is simply loose wording on their part? And not a true reflection of the scope of the project?

Someone somewhere fucked up on the wording. Capcom don't want to see that shit storm. Even the most oblivious suit over there has to know that a PS1 remaster is the worst idea ever.

I hate how pessimistic I am towards this since REmake 2 has been my dream project since the Gamecube days but I probably would prefer a definitive remaster of Resident Evil 2 over a Remake if they don't ''get'' it.

dmr87

Probably more a case of people not understanding the term remake vs remaster, they can't possibly just slap a remaster on an old game like that.

Vinc

Would be totally ok with a Halo Anniversary type port, but I really, really doubt they're making a PS1 upres port.

JayEH

Must be just an error in the terminology. Looks like even publishers don't know the difference between a remake and remaster lol.

Falk

that puzzling face
What if the remaster is of the PC version of RE2, and they are also remaking the game?

Azuardo

Why the fuck do we still not know exactly what this game is supposed to be yet? Why can't they just tell us if it's gonna be like REmake, or Resi 4, or remastered PS1 or what (it won't be the latter, but still)?

Did Capcom ever refer to REmake as a remake though? I feel like the world generally is not as selective with this terminology as GAF would like it to be, but I don't think that means we should read into things like this. It was pretty clear the pitch was for the game to be remade.

KyleCross

I imagine if they just took the original game and simply replaced the graphical assets with modern created ones most people would be cool with it.

But I think a lot of people want it like REmake; re-built from the ground up with new stuff and changes.

Tizoc

I dunno guys
OG RE2 still looks really really really good, especially dem pre-rendered backgrounds.

Still yeah DuckTALES was released as a remaster.

RootCause

I imagine if they just took the original game and simply replaced the graphical assets with modern created ones most people would be cool with it.

But I think a lot of people want it like REmake; re-built from the ground up with new stuff and changes.
And that's very likely what we'll get.

ash_ag

I wouldn't be that surprised if this was an error or an oversimplification. I imagine most investors aren't that well informed about the difference between a remaster and a remake.

Moreover, assuming they have the game's original code, it wouldn't be out of mind to convert old design assets (like maps and the like) into new ones rather than making it entirely from the ground up. Isn't this how OoT3D and MM3D were produced? For all intents and purposes, those two aren't N64 up-ports, and if the intention is to bring out a game that stands next to REmake and RE0, I wouldn't really call it unfeasible that they base it on the old versions.

One more reason I think this might be the way they go with it is the fact that Resi 7 should be just around the corner. It's not to say that they couldn't be working on two full-development Resident Evil titles at once, but a bleeding-edge RE2make coming out before Resi 7 sounds a bit off.

sörine

Banned
My guess is touched up widescreen backgrounds with new models. It'll still be RE2 though rather than REmake 2.

Madao

we've reached the point where not even companies know the difference between remaster and remake.

can't really blame people anymore if even companies are at this level now.

Rymuth

Not too bothered...maybe because I've never had particularly strong feelings towards 2 (1 & 3 are my jam)

Still, they did say REmake, so I don't think this a simple upres job. We'll see.

I think it's just poor wording. I really doubt Capcom would just re-release a PS1 game with higher resolution and call it a day, ESPECIALLY a game as important and critically acclaimed as RE2. Even they must know it deserves better than that.

Maybe they're pulling a Square and re-releasing the PS1 game, while still working on an actual full remake that will be released later. I would be okay with that.

DieH@rd

Banned
Of course it has to be a remaster. For this game they dont have gamecube version that they can up-port. They have to redraw everything for RE2.

I mean, a remaster of a 16-17 whatever year old PS1 game is going to need an impressive face lift to be acceptable by today's standards. I'm not reading much into the comment. It'll be more of a remake than a remaster. I don't see any other outcome. It may not be to the extent of the original remake with a bunch of new content like Lisa Trevor, but I'm still expecting a dramatic difference at least visually.

And I'm okay with this as RE2 is already perfect to me apart from the outdated visuals.

Top Bottom