• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League on Xbox One does NOT feature cross-platform play

The Xbox One version will launch at $19.99 (the same price as PS4 and PC), but will include three previously released DLC packs: Supersonic Fury, Revenge of the Battle-Cars, and Chaos Run. You’ll be able to purchase the Back to the Future pack on day one.

The only potential drawback for some players is that the Xbox One version will not support cross-platform play. Those on PS4 and PC can join matches with one another. The Xbox One version is, like most multiplayer games, platform-specific.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-for-xbox-one-by-taiwanese-ratings-board.aspx

So... Rocket League on a Microsoft console can't play with people owning Rocket League on a Microsoft OS... but the latter can play with the Sony console.

Pretty much tells how is Microsoft totally wrong with crossplay and PC.

TBiddy

Building that walled garden.

You do realize, that this is how almost all multiplayer games work.. right?

edit:

In this case it does seem like Microsoft still doesn't understand the market, but if lack of crossplay in multiplayer games is considered "Building a walled garden", the same could be said for all consoles out there, since all of them have games that doens't feature cross-platform gaming.

MMaRsu

Banned
So... Rocket League on a Microsoft console can't play with people owning Rocket League on a Microsoft OS... but the latter can play with the Sony console.

Yup.

MS dropping another ball.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not even cross-play with W10? Not that I know any PC players that I'd play with but still, that blows.
All or most of the elite players are on PS4 mostly and most of us migrate from there to PC so XB players will be missing out due to this limitation for sure.

jesu

If Blur can survive with no more than 50 players online at a time for years I'm sure Rocket League will be fine.

EGM1966

Well D'oh. When have PSN and Live ever been connected to allow cross platform play? Never even crossed my mind it would be supported.

Console to PC would be sweet though.

Fehyd

Banned
Ugh. Once again, Microsofts separate servers rule screws gamers over. Atleast xbone owners can play the game, unlike FFXIV.

Minions

Not surprising. In the same way we will never see a cross platform MMO like Final Fantasy IX was on the 360. I honestly can't see how this benefits Microsoft, but I guess it is along the same lines as region coded games.

MMaRsu

Banned
Well D'oh. When have PSN and Live ever been connected to allow cross platform play? Never even crossed my mind it would be supported.

Most ppl here are referring to windows 10, not ps4.

Not seeing how anybody can defend this. This is pants.

Chris1

This sucks, all it does is hurt xbox gamers. Fuck sake MS, sort your shit out.

Ugh. Once again, Microsofts separate servers rule screws gamers over. Atleast xbone owners can play the game, unlike FFXIV.

Assuming there's anyone to play with :p

Uhh, that's the point. It's already console to PC with the PS4 version. Xbone version can't play with PC players.

Catvoca

Banned
How do we know this is Microsoft's fault and not the devs? Could there be something about the way crossplay between PS4 and PC is designed that would make it difficult to enable crossplay between Xbox and PC? Or maybe something contractual with Sony? Just spitballing here.

How do we know this is Microsoft's fault and not the devs? Could there be something about the way crossplay between PS4 and PC is designed that would make it difficult to enable crossplay between Xbox and PC? Or maybe something contractual with Sony? Just spitballing here.

It's a Microsoft policy. Same reason FFXIV isn't on Xbox.

BokehKing

Banned
Crazy how you can do cross platform with Sony/PC

But the company that has been talking about Xbox/PC for the past 7 months won't allow it

They don't have their head in the game at all

But hey, you get those first class citizen warthogs right?

barit

First (class) citizens and so on..

Will be interesting to see how big the playerbase is after some weeks. Can't imagine that many people will be thrilled to see only a couple of hundreds players on Xbone compared to the daily 30k-80k players on PS4/PC

Coxy100

Banned

Should have been the first and only reply needed

As an XB1 owner - this is a shame as surely it will hurt the longevity.

Microsoft always make great strides - and then hurt themselves continually (if it is microsoft decision)

I don't see how you could allow PS4 to play with PC and Xbox One to play with PC, without letting Xbox play with PS4. Like, are the PC players meant to choose whether to play with PS4 players or Xbox One players?

Basically this doesn't really surprise me. I'm sure hundreds of games probably do do this though and I'm totally wrong.

Fehyd

Banned

There's been a few previous news pieces about MS not allowing online/mmo games on the xbone unless they have private xbone servers.

Producer or FFXIV talked about this before (the game is cross platform with ps3, ps4, pc, MS wanted their own servers separate, Square said no), as well as the reason given for Elder Scrolls online launching with separate servers for each platform.

oti

Banned

... this thread is about Xbox One - PC, bruh

BokehKing

Banned
Let's just say, if street fighter v was not an exclusive and also came out on Xbox one

PC/Sony would still be able to play together

But Xbone could only play with other One owners

Knuf

DAT Spencer's parity clause.

EDIT - Beaten.
Sucks for Xbone only owners, too: game will be dead in just a few months. :(

EGOMON

S3GGKzR.png

BokehKing

Banned
You kind of have to chuckle at the people that had hope Microsoft would allow Xbox players to play with PS4 players as well

Makes no sense that Microsoft wouldn't allow cross platform between its own two platforms. For the Xbone version's sake I hope Microsoft reconsider all of their weird server requirements for cross-play, but it seems too late I guess.

Top Bottom