• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CyberConnect 2 assisting development of Final Fantasy VII Remake

In a new Famitsu interview with Tetsuya Nomura and Yoshinori Kitase, the pair confirmed that CyberConnect 2 will be among others assisting development the Final Fantasy VII Remake.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/12/cyberconnect-2-developing-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake/

Shocked.

Relevant: http://gematsu.com/2015/03/cyberconnect2-teases-three-new-titles-new-generation

“The words published in our advertisement are keywords from three unannounced titles. The larger keywords are for the first of the three. And the medium and small-sized keywords make up the second and third titles. Basically, the bigger words are photo-realism, RPG, worldwide, Unreal Engine 4, and physics-based rendering,” Matsuyama said.

So that confirms a few things about the remake too.
This week's Famitsu has a huge article on CyberConnect2 as a developer, and mostly covers their upcoming announced titles. There's also an interview with the CEO about the future of the developer, including the cryptic "new challenge" recruitment ad they recently put up.

Apparently the new challenge is not just one game but there are 3 current-gen console games they're developing at the moment. The keywords in the ad refer to the different titles, with the text in the largest font size referring to the first title, and the medium and smaller font text referring to the other two projects.

The first unannounced title they're working on will be on Unreal Engine 4 targeting a worldwide audience. Other keywords associated with it are "large scale development", "photo real", and "physically based rendering". The second unannounced title will be an open world game, and the third unannounced title is a VR title.

He also goes on to say in the interview that up until now, CC2 has split the number of titles they worked on between console and smartphones evenly, but moving forward, they're looking at a ratio of 70% consoles, 30% smartphones. He feels that this is the time for console development to fight on.

Edit: For reference, here is the ad: http://www.cc2.co.jp/recruit/new_challenge/

And this is the background where you can see all the text: http://www.cc2.co.jp/recruit/new_challenge/img/bg.jpg

Goddamn it. This remake keeps sounding worse the more news come out.

EDIT: New title made it clearer. I can see this being a good thing now.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
In today’s Famitsu interview with Tetsuya Nomura and Yoshinori Kitase, the pair confirmed that CyberConnect 2 will be among others assisting development the Final Fantasy VII Remake.

I wonder who the others are though.

CGwizz

"In today’s Famitsu interview with Tetsuya Nomura and Yoshinori Kitase, the pair confirmed that CyberConnect 2 will be among others assisting development the Final Fantasy VII Remake."

Makes sense. If it helps take some of the load off Square then I'm totally good with this. Do note they're simply doing assistance and aren't the primary dev, though.

I thought this was already known.

It was rumoured since they teased working on a "big PS4 Jrpg" and a common line of speculation tied them to this. But it wasn't officially confirmed until now.

CC2 is assisting in the development of the Remake along with a few other external developers. They are not "developing" it. Title needs to be corrected.

Square Enix's internal team is not even close to being large enough to tackle such a massive product such as the Final Fantasy VII Remake, so I expect CyberConnect2 to be one of many.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So PC version confirmed? If I recall right, Cyberconnect's Naruto games run pretty well on the PC.

This was one of the project descriptions mentioned by CC2, and it fit FF7R perfectly

- RPG
- Large scale development
- Photo realistic
- Physical based rendering
- UE4
- Made for a worldwide audience

I'm getting more scared with each new development. :(

Why would you be scared? Nowadays Square Enix *always* partners with other studios to finish their internal games.

And other Japanese companies like Nintendo EAD also do it with support studios like Monolith Soft Kyoto and 1-Up Studio. It doesn't mean quality is compromised.

CHC

This title is not entirely accurate - they are one of several working on it, not the only ones.

convo

People would be fine with this if it was a turn based game. But people will of course bitch about since it's action combat. Does it say if they do more than simple asset creation?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
This was one of the project descriptions mentioned by CC2, and it fit FF7R perfectly

- RPG
- Photo realistic
- UE4
- Sold as episodic content

fixed

Relevant: http://gematsu.com/2015/03/cyberconnect2-teases-three-new-titles-new-generation

“The words published in our advertisement are keywords from three unannounced titles. The larger keywords are for the first of the three. And the medium and small-sized keywords make up the second and third titles. Basically, the bigger words are photo-realism, RPG, worldwide, Unreal Engine 4, and physics-based rendering,” Matsuyama said.

So that confirms a few things about the remake too

EDIT:

- RPG
- Photo realistic
- UE4

This

Very nice, they did awesome work with the .hack series. Now bring Tri-Ace into the mix and we'll get a Game of the Century. :3

Top Bottom