• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 as an isometric game

More here
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3wmu4t/isometric_fallout_4/
http://imgur.com/a/soiSe
XX9HSVQ.jpg
i5AQsW2.jpg

N5n6JS3.jpg
hvOjRY6.jpg

hgglA7I.jpg
1nGxCts.jpg

cripterion

Woahh, just seen the pics but this is insane! Might make me go back to the game.
Edit : nvm it's not an actual working mod.

lazygecko

The assets sure look a lot more palatable when they're not up close in first person. Almost as if they were made to be viewed that way, ironically.

Just how playable the game is from this viewpoint is another question entirely.

Protome

I want this to be a thing. A Fallout 4 which actually played like one of the good Fallout games would be great.

CHC

We've come full circle here....

The guy who made these originally (Seyavesh) posted them in the 2015 PC Screenshot Thread, right here on NeoGAF.

You know these are from the screenshot thread, right? Linking freaking imgur when the author post uncompressed version on this very forum...
edit:Ok he does use imgur that allows hi res, imgur as well it seems, but not compressed like those.

Arulan

If only it were really isometric and turn-based, but honestly that's the least of Bethesda's problems.

I find Christopher Bischoff's of THE BROTHERHOOD (STASIS) take on isometric Fallout 4 more appealing, minus the excessive post-processing effects.

Fallout_4_isometric1-1152x648.jpg

Fallout_4_isometric_2-1152x648.jpg

bengraven

Isometric looks cool and is nostalgic, but I just can't play the games anymore. Dead State, Divinity 2, and Wasteland 2 just didn't get me as hooked as I had hoped.

Dennis

Banned
Isometric looks cool and is nostalgic, but I just can't play the games anymore. Dead State, Divinity 2, and Wasteland 2 just didn't get me as hooked as I had hoped.

I find these kind of games as compelling as ever.

Something inside of you must have gotten broken.

Hahs

saw this a few days ago somewhere...can't remember, but anyway - looks cool.

would be kinda sweet with that perspective on a mobile version maybe - should there ever be one.

Dennis

Banned
saw this a few days ago somewhere...can't remember, but anyway - looks cool.

would be kinda sweet with that perspective on mobile maybe

What is wrong with you?

Shadowrun Dragonfall and Wasteland 2 is all the evidence you need that these games are still viable on the 4K screens of gamers today.

bengraven

It was never there, I think that's the issue.

I didn't play a lot of them when I was younger. The first PC RPG I played, shortly after getting my first PC, was NWN and it was just bland. And then Morrowind. It wasn't until the last 5-10 years that I actually was able to experience isometric games anyway.

It's a huge regret, though. I've wanted to experience Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate, etc, the way other people have and I don't think I can ever do that.

gelf

I vastly prefer the look of the game like this. I never actually played Fallout 1 and 2 but I have a great fondness for isometric prerendered backdrops of many old games and this mod looks just like that.

tcrunch

bleck.

Also found out from this thread that PC darling Divinity: Original Sin is isometric, which means it's a pass. Unfortunate.

Looks fucking amazing. Would have been great if they went that way, but theres a lot of people who think anything other then first person or over the shoulder 3rd person is archaic.

Skelter

Banned

Yup. I devoured Divinity and Wasteland 2. I HATE the direction Fallout is going now. I even gave it a shot when I bought Fallout 3 on launch. Terrible. New Vegas is great and all but it still suffered from being turned into a first person rpg.

Looks really cool. Not sure if it would click even if it were made possible, since I couldn't get into Shadowrun Returns or the original Fallout games.

E: I think gameplay involving turn-taking and heavy reliance on numbers generally bores me.

Yup. I devoured Divinity and Wasteland 2. I HATE the direction Fallout is going now. I even gave it a shot when I bought Fallout 3 on launch. Terrible. New Vegas is great and all but it still suffered from being turned into a first person rpg.
Have you played Underrail?

gelf

Reading this thread all I can think is: "This is why we can't have nice things".

Sadly yes, I love isometric and other fixed camera angles. its depressing how so many see it as a turn off. I want variety outside of typical 1st and 3rd person cameras.

Alienfan

So glad Fallout moved away from this. It's a cool look, but really limits the way you can explore the environment - as many details would go amiss not being able to get up close to them.

Blyr

Banned
I have never seen something that made me so happy, and yet so depressed at the same time.

In an alternate universe, this is the real Fallout 4, and Interplay is still making them.

Coreda

With the density of objects and to be practical as a mod it would probably need an invisible wall mechanic, which would take something away from the overall attractiveness seen here.

Would be great to see it in action, have you recorded any videos Seyavesh?

the original shots i did when learning how the isometric camera actually works captured this perfectly and then i was never able to get it again lol

Maybe I missed it but how did you do this? Or link me to your post in the screens thread. These look stunning!

Seyavesh

With the density of objects and to be practical as a mod it would probably need an invisible wall mechanic, which would take something away from the overall attractiveness seen here.

Would be great to see it in action, have you recorded any videos Seyavesh?
there's no real video to be recorded, haha. i usually freeze the game to take the shots w/ TFC 1 and you can't control player movement when in non-freeze TFC/freecam mode (that i know of)

Maybe I missed it but how did you do this? Or link me to your post in the screens thread. These look stunning!
low, low FOV (fov 18) + zooming the camera really far out and trying to get the perfect angle/height/direction to take the shot from. try to line stuff up based off my memories of what fo1/2 looked like when i was a kid, especially w/ doorways since those are the most obvious thing

it's actually a bit rougher than it seems because of how far you have to zoom out and the sheer density + verticality of locations in the commonwealth

Top Bottom