• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems some GAF accounts have been compromised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've seen it happen to a few dudes in the last day or so. The affected accounts just spew racist stuff. Happened to 343's Frankie earlier and my man Gui right now, so it's obviously not actually the poster.

Might want to change your passwords.

update from charlequin:
Okay, quick update on this just so people know what's going on.

We've spoken with gromph about this and there's currently no evidence of a breach on NeoGAF's servers. As best we can identify, this has been the result of users' accounts being accessed directly via their password. We're aware of who appears to be responsible (in fairly great detail) and we're doing what we can to mitigate the issue, but we can't necessarily prevent completely people's accounts being accessed using a guessed or brute-forced password.

Since this is coming up, this is a good opportunity to reiterate this: if you reuse passwords or use insecure passwords then your accounts are very likely to be compromised. Please use a unique password on NeoGAF that isn't used on any other sites (since otherwise a password leak on another site can lead to your account here being compromised); pick one that's long (12+ characters) and not based on dictionary words or identifiable personal information. Ideally, pick a random password and store it in a password manager. Everyone should consider this a good reason to change their password today.

I'll note that we're also aware of the issue of accounts registering just to send obscene PMs to other random users, and we're also doing what we can to mitigate that, but it doesn't seem to be connected to this issue.

Iorv3th

Maybe he stayed logged in on a public computer?

What happened to frankies account?

Seems kind of odd that a 'hacker' would get some password just to say some really dumb racist things to get the account banned.

Why does anyone thinking hacking an account and then posting inane shit to suicide said account is something worth doing? Even if you're just some internet loser who find enjoyment out of fucking with people this seems pretty inconsequential.

Merguson

Banned
Donald Trump is a great man, and I can't wait to vote for him to make America great again.

i don't even live in the same country

Fracas

#fuckonami
What prevents someone from using this as a convenient means to say racist things?

Asking for a friend ofc.

9Yoylvu.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom