• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's: The Division developer game update

Theorry

The Division has been labeled by you guys as an RPG. Can you give an example of a particularly RPG-y scenario we might run into in the game?

GERIGHTY: The key to our RPG experience are the choices around weapons, skills, talents and mods. Do you want to build yourself out as a particularly lethal long range sniper agent who is able to push forward in that one challenging late game mission or are you going to step in the shoes of a healer with your group to make sure that your entire squad makes it? These decisions, as well as the progression choices behind the equipment involved, make The Division stand out in the Clancy line up.

Is there a finite end to the game's story? Obviously you can keep playing, but...

GERIGHTY: The game was never built to have a final end credit roll type of sequence and one of our challenges was to have a compelling story while proposing a completely open world with a non-linear structure. That said, there is a conclusion to our narrative journey.

Will the in-game New York change seasons at all?

GERIGHTY: We have dynamic weather and time of day, so while we stay in a winter setting you’ll be able to see sunny blue skies and be caught in a snow blizzard.

Has the game changed in any significant ways since its early days being shown to the public? Any development epiphanies or design adjustments that have made the game better since you initially started building it?

GERIGHTY: One specific thing that comes to mind is the Base of Operations. It used to be an optional side activity in the open world but we discovered that it acted as a natural home for players. We decided to boost its importance for the player and now you can find it in the center the game.

What's an epic, unexpected moment that's happened to you during playtesting that you'd like to share?

GERIGHTY: Easy one! The first time I found a Cleaner in the game. We were playing co-op in one of our early playtests and we saw the evil looking Cleaners. I remember the VOIP conversation going. “Hey, the Cleaners are in the game. Let me just try to… OH MY GOD. FLAME THROWERS!!!”

What does the late-game/end-game content look like? Can we expect raid-type events, a la Destiny?

GERIGHTY: Ever increasing difficulty in encounters and missions are central to the experience but the centerpiece is the Dark Zone where you will be competing at the highest level for the best equipment in the game, not only against the factions but also against other players.

x7xHWhM.jpg

xcCNbtZ.jpg

qdIGRjt.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12...oper-shares-game-update-new-screens-ign-first

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Good info but....is that chromatic aberration in that second screenshot?? ._.

Deku Tree

Thanks! Sounds like no PvE endgame activity? That's what would have been the most interesting to me.

Just the PvP Darkzone thing? Not as interested in that...

wrog

No raids? Dark Zone is main end-game content? I really hope they have something cool for PvE players.

AU Tiger

Sounds like another Destiny/Diablo 3 issue where they have no idea what they are going to do for end game content.

:/

Definitely not going anywhere near this one until at least a few weeks out to see how the game ends up actually being to the public.

ps3ud0

So the end game content is the DZ with it seems the possibility of PvE and PvP all at the same time? Im not that aware of how the DZ works so be good to see more on that.

Im more worry this is gonna obliterate my game time like Destiny did - I may avoid it on that basis. Grind is never worthwhile no matter how pretty the stuff you get...

ps3ud0 8)

AndyD

aka andydumi
No raids? Dark Zone is main end-game content? I really hope they have something cool for PvE players.

I am not a huge fan of the combo pvp and pve, as I like to keep those separate if possible. I do hope the pvp for the dark zone extractions is not mandatory.

I'd also love it if I can play this on a PC but with a Steam Big Picture controller setup in the living room, and still be competitive.

Setsuna

Its in all of the shots, CA is the new brown hue.

Id take chromatic aberation over this increasing trend of using Depth of field in every situation

Its starting to get to a point where they are using Depth of field just to stop you from seeing the game at all

This all sounds great, BUT WHY DO THEY PUT OUT NEW BULLSHOTS!?!

Seriously, will they ever learn?

I have zero doubt that the PC version will look like that.

Apart from both reveals of Watch Dogs and Division that were at the start or a year before the beginning of this gen, I don't see anything that would be hard to do in-game.

Ubisoft went way too far ahead with their ideas of what those systems could do that early on, but AC Unity/Syndicate and FC4 were not shown as something consoles/PC couldn't do. I don't really have any doubts about what the Division has to offer visually.

Assuming the game can look like that on PC, it's not a bullshot.

game will look like that-on PC for sure

Probably real close. These screens are a bit too touched up imo. But whatever (depends on how little differences we are able to tell in a real close situation).
It will look great downsampled on a fat PC though. No doubt..

That Youtube footage can't touch that image in IQ (ever), so not sure why you want me to see it?

majik13

sounds good. The epic unexpected moment doesn't sound like either though. Sounds about like any game with decent flamethrowers. What exactly where they expecting?

IvanJ

Banned
This game drew my interest from the reveal, but if I buy it it will be for the singlemplayer experience, just as with all other games.
So this will be a day 7 purchase at best, I need to see and read a lot of reviews and opinions about the solo portion of the game. I have zero interest in battling other people.

Adam M

Only winter setting is kinda bad :/ It won't be an issue for a while but after some point it could be boring.

Crossing Eden

Id take chromatic aberation over this increasing trend of using Depth of field in every situation

Its starting to get to a point where they are using Depth of field just to stop you from seeing the environments
This is done to emulate the way CGI looks in films. And of course live action films. Our brains are attuned it now so it doesn't look odd so games are doing the same thing. I prefer DoF over actively trying to emulate camera flaws in nearly everything.

theWB27

This has been my most anticipated title since the reveal and the vids only made it better. Cannot wait for this to release.

J_Viper

Hmm, I thought the alpha was okay, but I may have to cancel my pre-order if most of the content is Dark Zone focused.

Thanx. Sounds great to me!
Those bullshots though...

One man's bullshot is another's real time rendering
Titan X SLI
Probably real close. These screens are a bit too touched up imo. But whatever (depends on how little differences we are able to tell in a real close situation).

I actually do not see any photoshopping in these, just a high resolution for downsampling. Quite unlike Far Cry 3 screenshots or AC vita ports.

HowZatOZ

Banned
This game doesn't make sense to have raids. It's only an MMO by its nature of having lots of people, think more in line with DayZ.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sounds like another Destiny/Diablo 3 issue where they have no idea what they are going to do for end game content.

:/

Definitely not going anywhere near this one until at least a few weeks out to see how the game ends up actually being to the public.

They said that the Dark Zone was the end game content right there....

That is a pretty bold move because some people don't like PvP and a lot of people really don't like open PvP.

The less they talk about an end-game the more the game comes across as something you can play, enjoy, finish, and then put down, and the less likely to lock everything interesting behind a massive grind of dailies and weeklies tied to a small subset of the game.

Speaking of end-games I'm not sure if I've ever seen a game that had one that was lauded at launch. For a new series I think it'll take some time to see what works, what doesn't, and what they can do as far as that goes.

Hahs

Ok, so I nearly forgot about this game - didn't know about the RPG aspect either;

guess some folks are quite flippant about that concept, yeah?

Denton

I was hoping by some miracle it was going to actually be an RPG game, but again it is just a shooter with stats and loot. Oh well...could still be great, just not what I personally prefer. Screens look nice. I do wonder how the story will work and if it will be satisfying. And whether I will be able to play solo and still have a good time.

Setsuna

Assuming the game supports SLI. All the modern Ubisoft engines are wonky on SLI (or just plain don't support it).

Syndicate is the only wonky one everything else is within limits.

You are rarely going to get a game with 90%+ Sli rates especially in open world games

Crossing Eden

I was hoping by some miracle it was going to actually be an RPG game, but again it is just a shooter with stats and loot. Oh well...could still be great, just not what I personally prefer. Screens look nice. I do wonder how the story will work and if it will be satisfying. And whether I will be able to play solo and still have a good time.
It's most definitely an actual rpg.

Top Bottom