• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC games which support 4+ local players

Durante

I recently posted these pictures in the Steam Controller thread:
dsc_01711rok9.jpg

steamlskx1.jpg
and got this reply:
so what games are playable with 4 or MORE people with controllers on Steam? Now im curious.

I think that's a question of general interest, given how much fun local multiplayer is. We have a lot of threads about local coop games with smaller numbers of players (and I have a massive list of those), but nothing dedicated to really high player counts.

One game we played which supports up to 8 players and is extremely fun in a party setting is Gang Beasts. It's a physics-based 3D brawler with unique controls.
It's still in early access, but eminently playable.

There are a lot of games which support exactly 4 players locally. Here are a few I've played:
  • Rocket league
  • Monaco
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Risk of Rain
  • Hammerwatch
  • Jamestown
  • Gauntlet
  • Screencheat (by the way, Screencheat is amazing)
  • Spelunky

Obviously the selection there is a lot larger than for games with >4 player support, so I'm particularly curious about recommendations in that category.

iosefe

For exactly 4 local only. You would do wrong by not getting Assault Android Cactus. Really fun game. Originally designed as single player, but adding in more people ups the chaos and difficulty.

R1CHO

Nice thread.

TowerFall is very fun with 4 players local.

For my next gaming party with friends I am going to try Serious Sam and Sonic transformer racing.

Coreda

Distance (in early access atm) supports up to 4 splitscreen, or 6 over LAN.

I've also turned to Co-Optimus.com in the past for its searchable database of co-op games.

Edit: oh, over 4? Read Cuban Legend's quote as being the main question.

Monaco is an amazing local coop heist game. Shocked this was never ported to consoles. No split screen either. It's super, super fun with 4 people. I actually seek out these kinds of games and own a ton of them on steam.

iosefe

Oh, I just remembered.

Brawlhalla added an 8 player mode

Haven't tried it but look it up. Could be an online mode actually

epmode

Gotta get that Towerfall. And Lethal League.

Those only go to four players, though. I barely know any that allow for more.

Sophia

Oh, while it's not compatible with a traditional controller, games such as Talisman: Digital Edition support up to six players due to the hotseat/turn based nature of them. Though it would work with the Steam Controller if people wanted to pass that around.

rivals of aether is an amazing smash clone. 4 players local. I guess I should have read the op better though because it seems you may want only games with MORE than 4 players? wasn't terribly clear from your post.

Sai-kun

Banned
Can you still change an .ini file in Risk of Rain to allow more than 4 players? I played online with 7 others once lmao

Broforce
Crawl
Angry Arrows
Paperbound
Pix the Cat
Straima
Towerfall Ascension
Fighties
Brawlhalla
Octodad
1001 Spikes
A Fistful of Gun
Hammerwatch
Risk of Rain
Spelunky
Jamestown
Speedrunners
Sonic Allstars Racing Transformed
Bloody Trapland
Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Guacamelee STCE
Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Stardust Vanguards
Super Slamdunk Touchdown
Monaco
Magicka
Drive to Hell
Demons with Shotguns
Brawl
Chargeshot
Devil's Dare
Retro Game Crunch
Battleblock Theater
Samurai Gunn
Duck Game
Square Brawl
Castle Crashers
Gang Beasts
Helldivers
Project Zomboid
Rivals of Aether
Viscera Cleanup Detail
Lethal League
Mercenary Kings
Rocket League
Skyhook
Assault Android Cactus
Vagante
Gauntlet
Space Beast Terror Fright
Zombie Vikings
Extreme Exorcism
Dungeon League
The Jackbox Party Pack
Mount Your Friends

And then there's all of the Lego games.

Check out this post.

Yeah, I know there are tons of 4 player local games on PC, the question from my side is more about the "+" part.

Still, I guess it's not a bad idea to have an exhaustive list of the 4 player games as well.

That's interesting! any more information? And was it online only or local too?
I understand what you're saying, but that's going to be a very short list. From the list above, you're only left with Mount Your Friends, Gang Beasts, and A Fistful of Gun.

It also probably doesn't help that this thread was made while Steam is currently down.

Durante

Yeah, I know there are tons of 4 player local games on PC, the question from my side is more about the "+" part.

Still, I guess it's not a bad idea to have an exhaustive list of the 4 player games as well.

Can you still change an .ini file in Risk of Rain to allow more than 4 players? I played online with 7 others once lmao
That's interesting! any more information? And was it online only or local too?

Daingurse

Can anyone recommend some games that I could play with my wife (not a gamer) locally on PC?

I have some of the lego games and she enjoys them but she gets frustrated with games that have complex control schemes etc.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is pretty easy to have fun with, being an arcade racer. The depth is there sure, I find the game hard as fuck on the hardest difficulty . . . but it's still great for casual play. Had a lot of fun playing it with my niece and younger kids.

Durante

By the way, you can at least partially blame MS for so many games topping out at 4 players. Among the many things Xinput does worse than its predecessor API is a hard limit to 4 input devices.

It's much easier to get Gang Beasts to work with >4 players on Linux than on Windows.

Nete

Co-optimus lists a few 4+ games in couch mode. Some of them aren't out yet, and some are turn-based so I don't think they really qualify, but it's something.

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html

-A Fistful of Gun
-Ground Control II: Operation Exodus
-Gunscape
-Knight Squad
-Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition
-Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator
-Civilization V: Gods and Kings
-Civilization V: Brave New World
-TowerClimb

The old Atomic Bomberman should do the trick :p. I'm not sure if we got a newer (or at least decent) Bomberman on PC since it.

Sophia

By the way, you can at least partially blame MS for so many games topping out at 4 players. Among the many things Xinput does worse than its predecessor API is a hard limit to 4 input devices.

It's much easier to get Gang Beasts to work with >4 players on Linux than on Windows.

For all the good Xinput brought, the drawbacks it brought suck too. ;_;

I honestly cannot think of too many games that support more than four players and also aren't turn based/hotseat.

Swarna

I'm looking for more than 4 player games as well, bro. Hard to find.

I'll just mention a 4-player game no one else probably will because it's relatively unknown. Steam is down at the moment but it's called Hidden in Plain Sight. It's got like 5 game modes all having to do with hiding yourself and your intentions from other players and playing the objectives/killing eachother. Really fun and it makes for good banter and hype. Best with the maximum 4-players. It could work with more players but the dev says he hardcoded something in that would make it very hard. Actually if anyone could get that game working with more players it'd be pretty boss.

Yeah pretty much has to do with this.

laxu

I would love to see this thread list games that even support 2 player co-op on the same machine. It's annoying that you'd have to own several machines just to be able to play with a friend or significant other in the same room.

Towerfall
Hidden in Plain Sight
Lethal League
Samurai Gunn
Duck Game
Mount Your Friends (only 1 controller needed, pass it along and does more than 4)
SpeedRunners
Jackbox Party Pack
Gang Beasts

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
lol at everyone trying to convert this thread into a general "PC local co-op" thread.

Make a separate thread for that if it's your goal. OP is asking something very specific - games which support more than 4 players locally.

Durante

The old Atomic Bomberman should do the trick :p. I'm not sure if we got a newer (or at least decent) Bomberman on PC since it.
RIP Bomberman.

Subscribed!
Good point, what's the most recent/best version of Bomberman / clone available with >4 player support?

lol at everyone trying to convert this thread into a general "PC local co-op" thread.

Make a separate thread for that if it's your goal. OP is asking something very specific - games which support more than 4 players locally.
I have nothing in principle against such a thread -- it would be useful -- but it would contain many dozens (if not hundreds) of games and I have no time to make it right now. We also already had a lot of those threads.

Yeah, local co-op isn't rare enough on PC to warrant making the thread more general.

hate it when that happens

Grief.exe

Yeah, local co-op isn't rare enough on PC to warrant making the thread more general.

hate it when that happens

I didn't read the OP, I apologize for piling onto the problem.

Greater then or equal to 4 players.

if the question was that specific, he should have titled better his thread! Imo 4+ means 4 or more. 4>=x, not 4>x.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I've had some luck playing The Jackbox Party Pack. Everyone connects via their smartphones, and there are some decent titles (Drawful and Fibbage come to mind). Fibbage supports up to 8 players, I think Drawful goes up to 6, maybe 8?

edit: A Fistful of Gun supports 9 players, but there's not much outside of that.

My SO can barely play Mario.
I really failed at acknowledging that "someone new to gaming" bit.

Once again, that's like 3 games. If you want a thread to contain a list of three games, and expect a lot of discussion about those three games, good luck.

Good point, what's the most recent/best version of Bomberman / clone available with >4 player support?
Both Knight Squad and Bombing Bastards support more than 4 players, but I'm not sure how many it caps out at for local.

Edit: Forgot about Brawl. But that caps out at 4 players locally and online.

Did this change with the Xbox One per chance? The wireless adapter lists:
Supports up to 8 wireless controllers, plus up to 4 chat headsets or 2 stereo headsets
or does it not actually support 8 controllers at one time?

Top Bottom