• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC games which support 4+ local players

Sai-kun

Banned
That's interesting! any more information? And was it online only or local too?

I don't have that many controllers, so I could never test it locally, but I think you should give it a shot, haha!

There's like, a preferences.ini file, or something like that, in the folder where all the Risk of Rain data is. It's really easy to read/go through, and one of the lines says something like

playerlimit=4

and all you have to do is change the 4 to an 8, save the changes, and then you should be good to go.

You could include asymmetrical multiplayer titles in there like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes or B.U.T.T.O.N which can technically have more than 4 people at least participating. Beyond those and the ones in the OP, you've got Rayman Origins and Legends, Battleblock Theater, PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate, SpeedRunners, and basically any of the Worms games since they're all turn-based/hot-seat mode multiplayer

R1CHO

A discovery from the steam sale:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/337960

Introducing ClusterPuck 99, a sporty competitive sports game about sports based on athletics! Featuring 8-player local competitive action for PC, Mac and Linux.

ss_97c74f84e599c817f9bfc1e460bbb8fb4ff4ef1c.600x338.jpg

I have only tried it by myself for now, but seem pretty interesting for local play.

Up to 8 players, very simple controls, it's 2.49€ right now.

Helldivers is probably one of, if not the best, game four hardcore players can play in a couch. It requires quite some teamwork and concentration, especially on higher difficulty planets, but it's so immensely rewarding when you manage to beat the odds by sheer skill. Truly the Dark Souls of party games.

panzone

Uh, seeing this topic remembered me when we tried to play Gang Beast in 6 players but for some reasons we couldn't and I thought it was impossible since you can only have 4 Xbox 360 controller synced (we don't have any other input method). There is a way to avoid this limit ?

Durante

Uh, seeing this topic remembered me when we tried to play Gang Beast in 6 players but for some reasons we couldn't and I thought it was impossible since you can only have 4 Xbox 360 controller synced (we don't have any other input method). There is a way to avoid this limit ?
There are multiple ways:
  • Use Directinput controllers
  • Run it on Linux
It's a very annoying issue though.

Thanks Xinput API!

PFD

I've had some luck playing The Jackbox Party Pack. Everyone connects via their smartphones, and there are some decent titles (Drawful and Fibbage come to mind). Fibbage supports up to 8 players, I think Drawful goes up to 6, maybe 8?

edit: A Fistful of Gun supports 9 players, but there's not much outside of that.

This looks interesting

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

There are multiple ways:
  • Use Directinput controllers
  • Run it on Linux
It's a very annoying issue though.

Thanks Xinput API!

I thought the limitation was on the wireless receiver. Would using a second wireless receiver not permit adding 4 additional controllers then?

Durante

I thought the limitation was on the wireless receiver. Would using a second wireless receiver not permit adding 4 additional controllers then?
It's quite a strange setup. As far as I know, additional 360 controllers beyond the limit of 4 should revert to DirectInput. But then you need a game to support that.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Have you seen the incoming Space Dust Racers?

6 players in the beta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9lhnruI5Pk

Wow..it says up to 16 players for local play on the Steam store page - I can't even imagine if thats feasible. Also, smartphone controller support:

Award-winning same-screen party racing for up to 16 players! Race brutal-cute aliens on exotic planets, using weapon powerups and physics-based vehicles to annihilate your competition in frantic round-based combat. Connect spare gamepads, laptops and smart devices as extra controllers.

R1CHO

Another one that allows for 8 players:

store.steampowered.com/app/354620

Miner Warfare

The twist? The way it works it's by using one controller for two players at the same time :p

I haven't personally tried it yet.

Haxxor

Burnout paradise - party mode! 9 players take turns playing minigames. Can't reccomend this enough, great party game! Just make sure to choose the 2/3 first events to be either skill or stunt based.

Well if your PC is beefy enough you could probably run a bunch of virtual machines on the same computer, create a VLAN with something like Hamachi, and play whatever you bloody well want.....

KillerAJD

Ooh, I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure. I brought a laptop with some games on it to my families Christmas get together, and we had a ton of fun. I used PS4 controllers connected with a bluetooth adapter (using InputMapper), and it worked surprisingly well.

The game we played the most of was Mount Your Friends. My entire family thought it was hilarious, and it got pretty damn intense at times.

We also played Duck Game, Thief Town, Lethal League, and a bunch more on PS4 (Rocket League, Gauntlet, etc.)

I will definitely have to look into bringing around more powerful hardware, as we'd probably love Gang Beasts and Screencheat.

hmmm can u give more details about this? Im interested.

It is a rather tech savvy option, one that I do not know whether it is available in Windows 10. I used to do this back in 2010. There is an option in Windows where you can run multiple instances of an operating system on a single rig, each with their own Windows ID. The instances run on either different screens, PIP or other. You make sure that there is a virtual local area network that allows you to get around some of the more troublesome aspects of online matchmaking and IP address requirements.

Granted, you need multiple copies of the same game for this to work, so it isn't necessarily an inexpensive route to take. In effect, you are replicating multiple computers on a single rig.

I can't really give you a modern day walkthrough for this or even say whether it is still a viable option. You'd probably need to ask some more modern day techheads about it.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
It is a rather tech savvy option, one that I do not know whether it is available in Windows 10. I used to do this back in 2010. There is an option in Windows where you can run multiple instances of an operating system on a single rig, each with their own Windows ID. The instances run on either different screens, PIP or other. You make sure that there is a virtual local area network that allows you to get around some of the more troublesome aspects of online matchmaking and IP address requirements.

Granted, you need multiple copies of the same game for this to work, so it isn't necessarily an inexpensive route to take. In effect, you are replicating multiple computers on a single rig.

I can't really give you a modern day walkthrough for this or even say whether it is still a viable option. You'd probably need to ask some more modern day techheads about it.

Is it easy to map several keyboards and mice to the VMs ? Curious

Towerfall! I have had soooooo much fun with this game. It's my all-time favorite multiplayer game ever.

There's also Sportsfriends, in which Johann Sebastion Joust supports seven players. But only on Mac and Linux, and only if you have Move controllers and a lot of space. Fun if you can set it up, though.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Any recommendations for 4+ multiplayer games that are fun with non-gaming friends? I'm considering purchasing Gang Beasts and the Jackbox collection, but would like more ideas.

These are what I already have.
Dungeon Defenders
Jamestown
Magicka
Monaco
Risk of Rain
Screencheat
Sonic Racing Transformed
Speedrunners
A bunch of Worms games

Edit: There are 76 games on Steam with the tag "4 Player Local"

Towerfall, without a doubt.

I highly recommend Mashed: Fully Loaded on Steam. It's less than a buck right now. Was awesome on Xbox with four players, and would be just the same level of awesome on PC in local multi.

IxIGD0u.jpg

Underrated excellence in the vein of Micro Machines.

Blizzard

Banned
This looks like an old thread, but there's a recent Steam game that fits this category perfectly -- Overcooked. It works well with 2 players, but 4 players can do local play and it's hilarious madness.

The price puts some people off right now, and I normally wait to buy random Steam games until they're $5-10. However, after a few hours of playing this on a big projector in 4-player mode, I came straight home and bought it. I suppose that's some sort of recommendation.

It's a frantic cooperative cooking game where everyone runs around trying to get ingredients, running into each other, and slapping each other out of the way. If you're too slow, you lose points. If you send out the wrong order, you lose points. If you're too slow, the kitchen catches on fire. It starts out simple and then gets crazy with things like one half of the map making pizza and the other half making hamburgers while passing ingredients along a conveyor belt.

For the 2-player mode it looks like we'll beat the game and get 100% achievements in about 8 hours of play. To me, that's reasonable.

joms5

Some that haven't been mentioned yet.

Tricky Towers (up to 4)
Overcooked (up to 4)
Sports Friends (up to 4)

Seconding:

Lethal League
Duck Game
Spelunky
Broforce
Jamestown
Crawl

Some that might not be on the list yet:

LASTFIGHT
Black & White Bushido
Speed Runners
Chargeshot
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

And many more!

Wow you have a QanBa stick? That's awesome! I have two of those, one black and one red.

This is a really good thread, I didn't know about Gang Beasts supporting up-to 8 players!

We had 5 and 6 players going in older versions, but after some updates, it appeared to be only 4 players. No idea. I'm not happy with this game's development although it can still be a fun time. Just can't expect much from it.

Velurian

Move or Die is nothing short of excellent.
Toybox Turbos (micro machines basically)
Stikbold! (excellent pvp)
Toto Temple Deluxe

Less exciting in my book:
Glitchrunners (arena fighter)
Trials
Badland
Theiftown
Hidden in Plain Sight
Kopanito

Special mention:
Obliteracers (up to 16 players local-coop)
Speedrunners (true local mp excellence)
Towerfall (true local mp excellence)
BlazeRush (true local mp excellence)
Grip (will have 4 player at some point, 2player at the moment, still excellent)

Samemind

Tangentially related, what would be the best setup if I wanted to use a USB hub for easier access to plugging in 5+ controllers? Or if there's a better option than using a USB hub (which presumably introduces some input delay)

Yudoken

Left 4 Dead 2 is amazing in 4 player Splitscreen with this.

Also CS GO is really awesome in 4p, got into making it compatible in splitscreen thanks to CPU Knight from Reddit.

Did a LAN Party with two big TV's 4vs4 in the same room. It's so much fun!

Game is basically build for gamepad, really weird that it never got officially splitscreen support.

If enough people are interested in playing CS GO (and other Source games) I will upload the files with a small tutorial.

Blizzard

Banned
Tangentially related, what would be the best setup if I wanted to use a USB hub for easier access to plugging in 5+ controllers? Or if there's a better option than using a USB hub (which presumably introduces some input delay)
As long as it's a USB 2.0 or 3.0 hub, just give it a try and see if you notice anything. Or even better, plug in 3-4 controllers and then plug in a USB mouse. Move the mouse around and see if you can detect any latency. Mouse lag is really easy to feel.

As far as I know, USB lag is rare unless it's a really old USB 1.0 hub.

Also CS GO is really awesome in 4p, got into making it compatible in splitscreen thanks to CPU Knight from Reddit.

Game is basically build for gamepad, really weird that it never got officially splitscreen support.

If enough people are interested in playing CS GO (and other Source games) I will upload the files with a small tutorial.

I would love CSGO splitscreen, but the one I am really waiting for GoldenEye Source 5.0. No one has been able or willing to get this game running in splitscreen mode and I think it would be perfect for it.

Yudoken

I would love CSGO splitscreen, but the one I am really waiting for GoldenEye Source 5.0. No one has been able or willing to get this game running in splitscreen mode and I think it would be perfect for it.

I actually tried it out (because I think that it would be a perfect game for 4p splitscreen too) but since it's a mod and uses Source SDK Base 2007 I can't get the script working with it because Valve broke borderless window support of the game and it behaves differently than e.g. CS Source, GO and L4D2.

What a shame.

Stopdoor

That sounds like it could be really awesome, I only have easy access to 1 computer but I'd definitely be interested in trying to splitscreen Source games.

+1 for CSGO/source splitscreen tutorial pls

My rec that i don't think has been brought up yet:
videoball
distance
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball

Top Bottom