• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Anime coming to North America in Winter 2016

http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-licenses-phantasy-star-online-2-the-animation

HOUSTON, December 29, 2015 – Sentai Filmworks is proud to announce its latest acquisition, Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation, as part of the winter 2016 anime season lineup. Based on the hit MMORPG, this action-adventure series follows Itsuki Tachibana, a player of Phantasy Star Online 2, and the challenges he faces both in and outside of the game.

The series will be directed by Keiichiro Kawaguchi, with Mitsutaka Hirota handling both scripting and series composition. Character designs will be provided by Minoko Takasu, with animation produced by TELECOM ANIMATION FILM (Ramen Fighter Miki, Lupin III - The Italian Adventure (2015), Sengoku Basara: Judge End).

Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation is scheduled for a January 2016 broadcast in Japan. It will soon be available through select digital outlets, with a home video release to follow.

For Sentai Filmworks’ latest announcements regarding this and other great titles, be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

About Sentai Filmworks, LLC

Sentai Filmworks is one of the largest licensors and distributors of anime and genre programming in North America, offering thousands of hours of content across traditional and digital media platforms. With hit series that include Parasyte –the maxim–, Log Horizon, High School of the Dead, Persona 4: The Animation, and Akame ga Kill!, Sentai’s catalog continues to grow with new favorites like Monster Musume: Everyday Life with Monster Girls and iconic anime series such as Legend of the Galactic Heroes. For more information, visit www.sentaifilmworks.com.

That's right, the fucking anime is coming stateside, but not the game itself.

Takao

Banned
It's significantly cheaper to translate an anime series than a video game, especially an ever evolving MMO.

rhandino

Banned
What I saw: Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to North America in Winter 2016

What it really says: Phantasy Star Online 2 Anime coming to North America in Winter 2016

AO5n2xF.gif

I'm a mess.

JCX

Oh Sega, I would have cared, but I have Xenoblade X now. Not the same, but it scratches the itch.

Pumped to watch this especially now that it'll be translated in a timely manner. Not a fan of the high school/real world component but hopefully it'll work out. I'd rather it had been entirely in the PSO Universe.

Also if you're somehow still waiting for the game, just, stop. Play the JP version translated as it's awesome with tons of content (and a new episode in January). It'll also be landing on PS4 next year. I honestly am glad it never came stateside as JP content support has always been superior and would've certainly had more content. Just look at the poor SEA version; that would've been us.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It's significantly cheaper to translate an anime series than a video game, especially an ever evolving MMO.
While that's true, PSO2 seems to basically be an ad how much fun it is to play the game. Instead of turning the in game story into anime, they went with showing a newbie getting into the game.

NeOak

Pumped to watch this especially now that it'll be translated in a timely manner. Not a fan of the high school/real world component but hopefully it'll work out. I'd rather it had been entirely in the PSO Universe.

Also if you're somehow still waiting for the game, just, stop. Play the JP version translated as it's awesome with tons of content (and a new episode in January). It'll also be landing on PS4 next year. I honestly am glad it never came stateside as JP content support has always been superior and would've certainly had more content. Just look at the poor SEA version; that would've been us.
Remember PSO Ep I&II on Xbox?

lol

18-Volt

I want the game.
I want it on Vita and iOS too.
I also want Phantasy Star Nova too.

I know I'm asking too much from a company that can't even localize their own games and need assistance.

Remember PSO Ep I&II on Xbox?

lol

Don't remind me. I just got back into Xbox collecting and the game won't even boot without a Gamertag ID on the host Xbox which I can't easily obtain. Seems to be the best console version of the game technically, at least. Luckily Blue Burst exists.

If anything, throwing up an anime first might help gain traction before sending the MMO to die a horrible death after spending time taking out all the cross promotion embedded into the game and making a far less return than the Japanese version.

Don't kill me right now ahaha. The same kind of happened with God Eater though, and look at us now with both Resurrection and 2 Rage Burst slated for next year.

Synth

As much as I want PSO2 over here... this is legitimately the most hilarious news I've seen all year.

I can't even get mad about it.

Freeman76

If only this was true. As much as the translation patch is a stellar effort, there is still so much missing that you get far from the full experience. It suited me for a while, but in the end it just became annoying. The PS 4 version is JP only and basically if you want to play a fully localised verion of the game you are, in French, Fucked

How long until we get a Sega PR statement saying that they'll use sales of the anime's DVDs to determine if they'll localize the game or not?

Kammie

Clicked on another thread. As it begins loading, saw "Phantasy Star Online 2"--"coming to North America"

"Wha-wha-wha-Back-Back! BACK!!!" I'm literally jamming on the mouse button.

.......... :(

Top Bottom