• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Persona 3 FES: P3 was a mistake.

Xbro

So a few months ago I finished Persona 3 FES, and now I'm finally publishing this thread after giving everything some thought.

If the title was any indication, I wasn't all that fond of the game.

Before we do anything, let's get the music out of the way. Most of the soundtrack was meh. I did not like Lotus Juice, and the background music got irritating at times. However, the songs that were good were insanely good. Memories of the City being my favorite of the bunch.

The game has two segments. Dungeon crawling through tartarus, and living your life in the day time.

The battle system itself is actually pretty good, using the one-more turn system. However, the battles in this game suffer from the lack of control over your party. This sucks. Countless times I died because my party members had crappy AI. Dying itself wouldn't be an issue if it was actually my fault that I died. They have small directions you can point them toward, like support, conserve SP and the like, but more often than not this helps nothing.

After every few floors of Tartarus you would bump into a floor guardian. This is where the battle system really screws you over. There were plenty of times when one of my party members would knock an enemy down only to get it right back up by hitting that same enemy. It was frustrating to watch this while being powerless.

Outside of battles, Tartarus is a compilation of randomized floors. There are over 200 of these so it gets a bit repetitive after a while. Though one thing I did like about the dungeon crawling was being able to not worry about running out of SP, because you could heal and save every few floors. This helped take some stress off of the repetitive grinding. And it was actually fun at times. Believe it or not this was my favorite part of the game. Alas, they decided I couldn't have my fun, so they added a system where you get tired after exploring for too long. The game also restricts your progress in Tartarus. You can only explore to a certain point until the next full moon.

The main boss battles(the ones that aren't floor guardians) are actually well designed, and fun to fight. I especially loved the final boss, music and all.

Outside of dungeons and battle, the game progresses day by day. This makes the game take forever. The main story events happen once every full moon. In other words every 29 days. Every once in a while you get events outside of the full moons, but these typically aren't very substantial with the exception of a few. As a matter of fact, I can't remember any good events that happened in the early months. They just drag. I swear the most depressing feeling in the world is seeing the counter at the top go back up to 28 after a full moon.

In the mean time you go to school and can activate Social Links. Most of the Social Links are alright, with one or two really good ones, and few really bad ones(Kenji and The Gourmet King). I quite enjoyed Mamoru's and Akinari's though. Throughout the entire game, Aigis' social link was the only one that was able to keep me entertained for days on end. Rather it kept me motivated for the next day. Akinari was only on Sunday, so once I got done with a rank, I was left waiting a week for the next meeting. This game involved a lot of waiting. It also didn't help that they introduced Social Links via Kenji. It's like they were trying to turn you off.

The story as a whole was good, though it was kind of hard to enjoy it when the events were so few and far between. I was often left disappointed with many of the events. There was a ton of build up but not a lot of delivery. The confrontations with Strega were always disappointing, there were some fights in there that fell flat on their face when the moment actually came, and on two separate occasions the villain
unceremoniously jumps off of a cliff before you can kill them.

The characters are alright. Some good, some bad, it's a mid-tier cast at best. Yukari was alright, nothing too special. I did not like Junpei(January fixed him somewhat, but more on that later), Mitsuru and Akihiko were meh. Fuuka was just there, Ken sucks, Koromaru is a dog (and I love him), and I loved Aigis. Shinji did not get any development. In fact it was criminal the amount he received because he was actually a cool character. It was to the point where I did not care about
his death because it wasn't a loss to me. It didn't help that there was no music playing on that part.

It should be noted though, that January got rid of a lot of these problems over it's course. January was amazing. The atmosphere was on point, most of the characters were better, you weren't restricted from Tartarus, you had Aigis' social link to keep you busy during the day, the music kicked it up a notch, and there was an overall sense of dread looming in the air. If you didn't have to trudge through December to get here, and believe me when I say there was literally nothing to do in December, this probably would have made up for most of the game before it. But that's the problem, it's just one month. It took me 40 hours to get to January. 40. Hours. The only thing that kept me going throughout was that I heard the ending was very good. Was it? In retrospect, yes. As I played through it though, my reaction when the credits rolled was literally "Is that it?". It left such a foul taste in my mouth that I had absolutely no desire to play the Answer. I was sick of it by this point. The main reason I took so long to publish this thread was because I was still getting around to the Answer.

So let's talk about the Answer. The Answer decided it liked the dungeon crawling aspects of the Journey, and made an epilogue out of it. The only problem is they forgot to include what was good in the dungeon crawling before. Instead of healing before each guardian, you heal after each guardian. Meaning you have to go through 10 floors without healing before fighting the guardian. The AI doesn't get better either. Meaning your party will kill you. A lot. On several occasions I outright turned off the console after I died because my party would do stupid things on the floor guardians. What's worse is that they removed the compendium from the Answer. So anything you fuse is gone and you need to go back into the labyrinth to get a persona again.

The story of the Answer consisted of two parts. The first half and the second half. The story was meh during the first half. I do say though, the story and execution were pretty good in the second half. Though keep in mind the 'second half' is the last 4 hours of a 25 hour grind. The entire concept of fighting your party was very well done. And the aftermath with Yukari and Mitsuru getting some good development was good to see as well. All of the characters were better by the time the arena segment was over. If the entire game had story execution like the second half of the Answer, and pacing and atmosphere like January, this game would have been a lot better.

If there's one thing that perfectly describes this game to me, it's wasted potential. Which is a shame because the production value is something you can expect from an Atlus game.

I love Persona 3. It's one of my favourite games of all time.

But I totally agree with you on almost everything.
except for the soundtrack, mass destruction is gdlk

For your complaints on the battle system, using your party member's tactics would have cured some of your issues. Setting a party member to knockdown will make it so they only try to knock enemies down and they won't attack to bring them back up. Using tactics alleviates a lot of the pain of lack of self control.

jb1234

Yeah, I'm not a big fan. The repetition just became too much after twenty hours, much less the actual length of the game.

Sophia

I feel like you'd probably like the female protagonist in Persona 3 Portable. A number of your complaints (lack of activity in later months, lack of direct party control, characterization for Shinjiro and co, etc) were actually fixed there.

Xbro

You think they wasted potential here, you should play Ultimax's story.

You really shouldn't.

Already did.

I feel like you'd probably like the female protagonist in Persona 3 Portable. A number of your complaints (lack of activity in later months, lack of direct party control, characterization for Shinjiro and co, etc) were actually fixed there.

I did enjoy the Female route more. In fact Shinjiro's link is my favorite link in the series. The problem with P3P though was that, while the social links, the music and the battle system were better, it felt like half of a game.

Jebusman

Banned
It sucks that we'll never get a version of P3 that takes the graphics/engine from the PS2 version, but the changes to skills/battle/SLs in P3P. It's not as clearcut as an improvement like P4G is.

Sophia

I did enjoy the Female route more. In fact Shinjiro's link is my favorite link in the series. The problem with P3P though was that, while the social links, the music and the battle system were better, it felt like half of a game.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. The compromises made for Portable suck a little bit, especially after seeing Persona 4 Golden's very high production values.

Ralemont

not me
I only play P3 Portable now. Direct control over your party eliminates that headache. FES is still kinda good for its presentation, but I'd rather have the gameplay improvements and female PC option.

pizzacat

Banned
MAN P3 IS SOO GOOD

I'm sorry you don't see it like I do

FeMC is a little better but it isn't what the director envisioned since the social links became SEES

Had banging tracks tho, except for battle them yuck

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
24462631.jpg

hao chi

P3 does have its fair share of flaws, but I still absolutely adore the game. It's one of my favorite games. It's too bad you didn't like it.

The battle system itself is actually pretty good, using the press-turn system introduced in Nocturne.

There's similarities, but P3 doesn't use the turn press combat system.

RK128

While I love P3 a lot.....I couldn't stand the FES version on PS3 (PS2 Classic). Tire system was one element I loathed as the PSP version deals with that so much better and considering that was the gateway into further story content.....it was a deal breaker.

The PSP version fixes a lot from the original release (more difficulty options, more social links, female main character option, tire system completely re-worked and more). Very, very strong remake of an amazing game at the expense of the 3D hub world being replaced with static 2D backgrounds.

Honestly, a good move all things considered; makes the pacing faster and everything in general more swift. Cuts into the atmosphere of the game world but it does so at improving the core game while working within PSP constants.

My favorite tracks are too many too count :').
Heartfelt Cry
The Battle for Everyones Souls
Burn My Dread
Mass Destruction aka the best battle theme in any JRPG XD!
Soul Phase
Wiping All Out

I love P3, but I still agree with almost all of your complaints. I think P4 does a very good job of improving some of your complaints such as adding manual control over the party

Lothar

Banned
Is Persona 3 a lot different than Persona 4? Is the AI really that much worse? I was going to get it after I finished Persona 4.

RK128

Is Persona 3 a lot different than Persona 4? Is the AI really that much worse? I was going to get it after I finished Persona 4.

Play the PSP version if you are considering playing Persona 3; have control over party members, BS tire system greatly improved and more replay value with the two main characters (male and female).

Sophia

Gameplay wise, they're very similar. Persona 3 is rougher around the edges tho. The AI control isn't too bad, but it does take an element of micromanaging that most people don't like.

random25

Persona 3 is my favorite Persona game. And I agree with you OP with its flaws. Still I like it much more than P4, which seems to be the mainstream favorite.

And Aigis rocks.

Trace

Banned
Playing P3P made me wish for an FES release with the P3P improvements. P3P definitely does feel like half a game.

Persona 3 doesn't use Nocturne's Press Turn system, it uses the One More system.

You might want to try Persona 3 Portable, it solves a lot of gameplay related frustrations, though at the cost of visuals and presentation.

wmlk

I played P3 before P4. I liked P4 a lot better.

I had the complete opposite reaction with Aigis. I generally liked most of the characters in the game, but Aigis was bad enough for me to begin disliking the game from the moment her character was introduced.

JediLink

I'll echo that you should've played P3P with FeMC.

EDIT: Sun, the most poppin' track in the game exclusive to FeMC. Every time it came on I couldn't stop myself from grooving to it.

RK128

I played P3 before P4. I liked P4 a lot better.

I had the complete opposite reaction with Aigis. I generally liked most of the characters in the game, but Aigis was bad enough for me to begin disliking the game from the moment her character was introduced.

5089683+_bac470f00e5c720d144f66f7e80ffcf1.gif

I'm sorry you hated the character but she is my favorite character in the entire Persona series :).

Producer

I get the no party control complaint but i personally didnt mind it much. Using Tactics and Rush effectively pretty much solved most issues of an AI making a dumb decision. P3P 'fixes' some gameplay issues but imo just ends up as an unbalanced game. Its cool to play as FeMC though.

Zareka

P3P >>>> FES. It fixes a lot of the problems you had with the gameplay. FeMC might help with the characters, I guess? Your non-female party members get social links with the FeMC, though I haven't played her in a while and my memory is foggy.

Edit: Oh you played P3P? Then yeah, I get what you mean by it feeling incomplete. We need a definitive Persona 3 imo. Give us that and P3D and we can leave the P3/4 line of games to die.

RK128

P3P >>>> FES. It fixes a lot of the problems you had with the gameplay. FeMC might help with the characters, I guess? Your non-female party members get social links with the FeMC, though I haven't played her in a while and my memory is foggy.

How the FM MC works is the following:
-Social Links with male and female members of the main cast; new social links introduced for characters that did not get them in the original release
-Can romance with male characters like you can with female characters in the male run (with two exceptions, as these two can be romanced with male or female characters)
-Female main character uses long-reaching staff, while Male Main character uses short sword

Andrefpvs

It's always great to see someone mentioning P3's last month.

The change in atmosphere, background music, NPC dialogue, etc. is extremely well done. I swear I could almost feel the Japanese morning breeze in my room on that January 1st morning.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For your complaints on the battle system, using your party member's tactics would have cured some of your issues. Setting a party member to knockdown will make it so they only try to knock enemies down and they won't attack to bring them back up. Using tactics alleviates a lot of the pain of lack of self control.

This. A lot of peoples complaints about "stupid AI" is them mostly letting the AI choose freely. Yes, you might have to micromanage a little if they go off course, but generally knock-down->all-out attack works in P3.

Hell, the loss of the compendium in the Answer isn't that bad either. Yes, it sucks you can't get the Persona you want back. But it's not that horrible since it means you're gonna want to be fusing Personas as much as you can to save room on Aegis' deck to get more of the higher level cards as you go up (read: down).

wmlk

It's always great to see someone mentioning P3's last month.

The change in atmosphere, background music, NPC dialogue, etc. is extremely well done. I swear I could almost feel the Japanese morning breeze in my room on that January 1st morning.

That's a weird way describing it. What about the despair made you feel the Japanese morning breeze?

Atmospherically it was absolutely spot on, though. It was a general feeling of acceptance of what's coming.

Memories of the City is ace.

Sophia

This. A lot of peoples complaints about "stupid AI" is them mostly letting the AI choose freely. Yes, you might have to micromanage a little if they go off course, but generally knock-down->all-out attack works in P3.

Hell, the loss of the compendium in the Answer isn't that bad either. Yes, it sucks you can't get the Persona you want back. But it's not that horrible since it means you're gonna want to be fusing Personas as much as you can to save room on Aegis' deck to get more of the higher level cards as you go up (read: down).

The biggest problem with the loss of the compendium is that the early game is rough. You're thrown into level 25-30 content with just Orpheus, who is worse in The Answer despite being several levels higher. Once you start getting Personas, it becomes a non-issue.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
In terms of themes and story, I prefer P3 over P4. By a wide, wide margin actually.

It's a shame that P3P had to work with the limitations of the PSP. We don't have a "definitive" version in the same sense as P4G.

P3P is still the only way to play for me. I don't like The Answer much, despite my affection for Aigis.

pezzie

I wanna warn people taking up P3P as their way of playing through P3, I beat it that way and I really wish I didn't. Having the dramatic scenes described to me in text was one of the worst possible ways for presentation and really took a lot of the impact of the game away from me.

I would retry the game in FES which I also own but I simply can't get over not having control of party members.

Because of this, Persona 3 is merely a "good" game to me, while P4G is one of my top 5 games of all time.

Andrefpvs

That's a weird way describing it. What about the despair made you feel the Japanese morning breeze?

It's late and I should be in bed, but let me try to explain it. Expect broken English, lol

I was talking about when you go meet your party members at the shrine, and everyone wishes you a happy new year, despite the fact that everyone knows
they only have one month left to live
. Everyone was calm there, and the despair of the previous night wasn't felt. You could feel their resolve.

That was a very tranquil moment, and I felt like I was meditating with everyone else. Like I was sitting there, just silently thinking and feeling the breeze. The lighting in that scene also helped convey the feeling of a winter early morning.

Or at least, that's how I remember it. It's really late!

mp1990

Banned
My avatar speaks for itself, but i still agree with a lot of your complaints. Even though i didn't mind the AI partners during combat as most people do, playing P4G after it was a completely new experience once i had full control, and i'm not sure if i could go back to FES after it (also one way easier, which bothered me a bit since i felt like overcoming the Tartarus challenges was really gratifying). Also, yeah, i can totally see where you coming from when i call out the game's pacing, its really slow and not for most people. I still owe myself playing the FeMC route, heard it iron some kinks from the original version. It's still my favorite game ever, but putting a critical eye over things you like is always healthy, in my opinion.

Dimmle

Can't really disagree with any of these points (aside from soundtrack). I just love them social links.

Play P4 to see how the sequel is largely improved despite committing some of the same fumbles.

RK128

I wanna warn people taking up P3P as their way of playing through P3, I beat it that way and I really wish I didn't. Having the dramatic scenes described to me in text was one of the worst possible ways for presentation and really took a lot of the impact of the game away from me.

I would retry the game in FES which I also own but I simply can't get over not having control of party members.

Because of this, Persona 3 is merely a "good" game to me, while P4G is one of my top 5 games of all time.

You could watch the anime cut-scenes on YouTube if you really want that dynamic story telling but otherwise, the PSP version is the best.

Just liked the VN-style storytelling more I suppose :). I get why others might not like it but I felt the PSP version told its story fine.

Neoweee

I agree.

I was lukewarm on Persona 3 by the time I finished it. FES fixed a lot, but was still messy.

P3P? One of my favorite games ever.

I hate using scores, etc., but my opinions at the time of their respective releases were:

P3: 6
P3F: 8
P3P: 10

Really a giant improvement. It plays wildly better. Text speed, load times, fast travel, difficulty, game speed... so much is improved.

wmlk

You could watch the anime cut-scenes on YouTube if you really want that dynamic story telling but otherwise, the PSP version is the best.

Just liked the VN-style storytelling more I suppose :). I get why others might not like it but I felt the PSP version told its story fine.

Eh, to me it makes very little difference. I also played P3P, and yeah I could feel the VN stuf for the anime cutscenes being weird. The thing is though, the anime cutscenes in P4 and especially P3 aren't exactly very well done. I don't think it's a huge loss.

The biggest and actually significant loss to me is not being able to walk around the maps.

RK128

Eh, to me it makes very little difference. I also played P3P, and yeah I could feel the VN stuf for the anime cutscenes being weird. The thing is though, the anime cutscenes in P4 and especially P3 aren't exactly very well done. I don't think it's a huge loss.

The biggest and actually significant loss to me is not being able to walk around the maps.

I agree with that and its my only critical issue with P3P despite loving it so much. Considering how much the PSP version fixed issues with the original game, I had no issue dealing with that though.

Guess I'm simple to please I suppose :).

pezzie

It's not the loss of anime cut scenes, it's the loss of everything else in between. I would have been fine without any anime cut scenes, but I would have liked to have seen the polygonal characters move and react to things rather than just having a scene described out in text form.

Persona 3 is one of my favorite games, but I mostly agree with you. I have to disagree on the soundtrack and characters though, those are top-notch for the most part.

Not having cutscenes sucks in P3P, especially after finishing P4G

Top Bottom