• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Biggest Box Office Bomb of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys know the drill. Just like every other year there are films that for whatever reason don't just fail, but fail colossally. Whether it was a budget too high, or them film being outright garbage this is where we try to predict which film will lose the most money of the year.

Before we talk about this year, let's crown last year's winner.

Take your pick:

Jupiter Ascending
Steve Jobs
Fantastic Four
Pan
Blackhat
Tomorrowland
I was right!

Okay, now that that's out of the way, I personally think this:

huntsman-poster-chris-hemsworth.jpg

Why? The easy answer is it stars Chris Hemsworth and that dude can't catch a break and no one cares about a Snow White sequel without our incredibly bland snow white.

So what do you think GAF?

Donos

180mil Tarzan is new to me.lol damn. you could make a decent comic hero flick with that money. or anything you want. why Tarzan... how much is Deadpool?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Batman v Superman

Even if that film is Fantastic Four bad, it will still make 400 million

180mil Tarzan is new to me.lol damn. you could make a decent comic hero flick with that money. or anything you want. why Tarzan... how much is Deadpool?

Deadpool is really low budget, 50-60 million I think. Considering how violent they wanted it to be, and the resulting rating, it was the only way it was getting made.

"Because the 1999 Disney Tarzan animated movie sold $448.2 million in the box office on a $190 million (including P&A) budget! The 1999 Disney animated film made a profit therefore this one will too!"

- Typical studio exec

really? $28m gross on a $30m budget. not exactly a success, but putting it in a list of biggest box office bombs of the year is a bit of a stretch.

I know it wasn't huge, but it had a fairly big marketing budget so I included it to show an example of a really good movie that can bomb hard.

Like all the internet people who loved Snakes on a Plane?

Not sure if you're joking, but yeah, basically.

Into

I am not all that sure about Batman vs Superman. Im sure comic nerds are salivating at it, but the more casual viewer might just see that as some sort of comic book wank fest and not bother with it. Or be confused as to why 2 good guys are against each other. Not having Bale makes it seem like a dumb spinoff, not a "real" Batman movie.

Warcraft will probably tank hard. Almost everyone knows what WoW is, or has some little understanding of a game that makes people addicted. Overall i dont think the perception of Warcraft is good amongst non WoW players.

bud

Like all the internet people who loved Snakes on a Plane?

i think the problem there was that it took too long to come out after the initial trailer was released. by the time it finally came out, no one cared anymore about those motherfuckin' snakes on that motherfuckin' plane.

Oh yeah forgot another one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Lynn's_Long_Halftime_Walk_(film)
An all star 120 fps war comedy/drama movie by Ang Lee.

lee doing 120fps films before cameron. sensational.

I am not all that sure about Batman vs Superman. Im sure comic nerds are salivating at it, but the more casual viewer might just see that as some sort of comic book wank fest and not bother with it. Or be confused as to why 2 good guys are against each other. Not having Bale makes it seem like a dumb spinoff, not a "real" Batman movie.

Warcraft will probably tank hard. Almost everyone knows what WoW is, or has some little understanding of a game that makes people addicted. Overall i dont think the perception of Warcraft is good amongst non WoW players.

Execs seem to think that video game movies will be the next big fad, like comic book movies were.

I think that realization is about to come to a bitter, crushing end as Warcraft bombs the hardest this year.

Video game movies have ALWAYS been a bad idea at the box office.

kswiston

Warcraft is currently the most anticipated Hollywood film of the Year in China. That combined with Wanda buying Legendary and the fact that it will get Jurassic Worlds release date makes me think it will be big there. Probably in the rest of East Asia as well. That should be enough to ensure it is not this years winner even if it flops domestically .

My money is on Tarzan if we are looking at actual dollars to budget and not just percentages.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
really? $28m gross on a $30m budget. not exactly a success, but putting it in a list of biggest box office bombs of the year is a bit of a stretch.

I think it's more of a case of "why all these fucking steve jobs movies?"

I think BvS is going to underperform, but it won't bomb. Hopefully it shows DC we dont want this Snyder grimdark bullshit.

WarCraft is going to bomba for sure though

gamz

I'm going with Tarzan.

I still believe that Jones will deliver on Warcraft and has a shot at doing well WW. I can't write it off just yet based on the talent in charge.

Execs seem to think that video game movies will be the next big fad, like comic book movies were.

I think that realization is about to come to a bitter, crushing end as Warcraft bombs the hardest this year.

Video game movies have ALWAYS been a bad idea at the box office.

Only because the people making them (especially the writers) never played them and thus had no respect for the source material. That may finally start to change as 80s/90s kids start entering the workforce.

gamz

This won't bomb. It likely wont' be a huge blockbuster, but it won't bomb, either.

And yeah, as K-Swiss points out, Warcraft might do disappointing numbers stateside, but international will likely clean the fuck up. That film isn't going to bomb.

Again, he's another filmmaker I can't write off just yet. Not without seeing a trailer for it yet. He is a solid name WW.

Zukkoyaki

There's going to be a 180 million dollar Tarzan film while Pacific Rim 2 struggles to be greenlit?

Hollywood really confuses me sometimes.

BKJest

It's at 61M WW on a 44M budget. Not exactly a flop, but it's going to have to fight to break even when you factor in the marketing costs.
It's easily gonna break even once it is released in Europe. But it suerly is a disappointment.

jackdoe

Definitely Tarzan and/or the Jungle Book, but I don't think WB or Disney would be too upset as their other movies would absorb the loss.

At least Yates came up with a good backup plan by being the easy go-to choice for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Newell appears to be in director jail right now.
That's true. Newell hasn't made a film since 2012 and I think that one had a limited release. He and Disney seemed to be placing a lot of hope on Prince of Persia being a guaranteed success like Pirates of the Caribbean and it really didn't pay off. His two big studio films really didn't do him any favours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom