• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Biggest Box Office Bomb of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I knew there would be BvS posts in this thread.

Yoda-GIF.gif

That Tarzan flick is the most obvious incoming bomb since Jupiter Ascending.

Aklamarth

A R rated , follow the book Tarzan movie could be great.

Not sure about the connection with Jungle Book. Is there a law to have only 1 movie in jungles per year ?

Syf

Banned
Tarzan yeah, gotta agree with that one because of the production budget lol wut.

Warcraft can do well in China even if it doesn't in NA. I see it at least breaking even.

Either Gods of Egypt or God's Not Dead 2. The first one was a flash in a pan kind of movie and I don't think God's Not Dead 2: Electric Boogaloo will do half as well.

sgjackson

I came here to say Warcraft but I thought it had a higher budget than 100 million and didn't know it had that level of cachet internationally. I'm still baffled by a 180 million dollar Tarzan movie, but I haven't seen any major advertising for it, whereas I was into the concept of Gods of Egypt and I was immediately turned off by the bad early 2000s summer movie feel of the trailer.

Oh, and as much as it pains me to say it... If the reviews aren't good for Star Trek Beyond, I can see that bombing big time.

Reviews haven't really affected box-office for like 20 years. Word of Mouth from opening weekend viewers has more of an effect than critical reception does.

Beyond won't bomb. It'll probably be decently reviewed, too, for what little that's worth.

Zukkoyaki

I will also agree with Star Trek 3. Everything about it aside from Karl Urban looks dreadful and about as non Star Trek as possible. Into Darkness also did less than the original which I don't think bodes well for this.

I also have a bad feeling about Ratchet & Clank even if it's good.

The Angry Birds Movie probably won't lose money but they're a good 3 or so years late with that one.

Pacific Rim wasn't exactly gangbusters and Del Toro really needs a hit.

You're correct but the movie still did over 400 million worldwide and has pretty much reached cult classic status. Just find in odd that other films are getting greenlit or it is all!

Reviews haven't really affected box-office for like 20 years. Word of Mouth from opening weekend viewers has more of an effect than critical reception does.

Beyond won't bomb. It'll probably be decently reviewed, too, for what little that's worth.

Didn't MoS have a massive 2nd weekend drop despite an A cinemascore?

Penguin

I will also agree with Star Trek 3. Everything about it aside from Karl Urban looks dreadful and about as non Star Trek as possible.

I also have a bad feeling about Ratchet & Clank even if it's good.

The Angry Birds Movie probably won't lose money but they're a good 3 or so years late with that one.

I don't know, Angry Birds isn't as hot as it use to be, but coming out in a good window and very little competition for a few weeks in either direction for children

strafer

When is that movie with Russell Crowe playing Noah coming out? Did it get canned?

I can see that not making money.

Bomb by what standards? I can see it making a profit, but I can see it not making anywhere near what Paramount expects. The only reason I can see Star Trek doing better than I expect is if people are still high from Star Wars and want more science fiction.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I will also agree with Star Trek 3. Everything about it aside from Karl Urban looks dreadful and about as non Star Trek as possible.

I want that film to fail miserably, it might be the only chance of getting some old Trek back, not this '2 Pegg 2 Furious' shite.

It's telling that Universal (the distributor) considers Warcraft a "problem movie."

http://collider.com/warcraft-problem-movie-universal-legendary/

Even with China, I don't know. It's really risky in this market because of how niche it is. "Warcraft" doesn't have staying power. "World of Warcraft" is more than 11 years old and hasn't been relevant for a while now.

I'm genuinely not sure if they can break even with the $400 million they need to cover everything and make money.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Star Trek Beyond.

Paramount trying to make Trek more like Star Wars will bite them in the ass this year now that people have real Star Wars to look forward to. The previous films weren't runaway successes, and the fandom at large has already written off this new one as a slap in the face to the 50th anniversary.

Star Trek Beyond.

Paramount trying to make Trek more like Star Wars will bite them in the ass this year now that people have real Star Wars to look forward to. The previous films weren't runaway successes, and the fandom at large has already written off this new one as a slap in the face to the 50th anniversary.

The issue isn't that they are trying to make it too much like Star Wars... They are tryingto make it too much like Guardians of the Galaxy, which is a well documented point of contention between the studio and Orci (of all people). Paramount are more interesting in chasing a quick buck rather than focuses on what makes Trek stand apart, and that's what's going to bite them IMO.

When is that movie with Russell Crowe playing Noah coming out? Did it get canned?

I can see that not making money.

Came out in 2014 and made double its budget. To add to my list, I think Divergent: Allegiant will do bad. Those movies never did Hunger Games numbers and I'm pretty sure the second one did not do as well as the first.

It's telling that Universal (the distributor) considers Warcraft a "problem movie."

http://collider.com/warcraft-problem-movie-universal-legendary/

Even with China, I don't know. It's really risky in this market because of how niche it is. "Warcraft" doesn't have staying power. "World of Warcraft" is more than 11 years old and hasn't been relevant for a while now.

I'm genuinely not sure if they can break even with the >$400 million they need to cover everything and make money.

I wonder if we'll get another 47 Ronin situation where Universal writes it off before it even comes out.

Don't forgot about our benevolent Chinese overlords. They can singlehandedly make a shitty looking thing like that Warcraft movie a record breaking success if they deem it worthy, using whatever fucking random metric they use. I don't fucking know.

Came out in 2014 and made double its budget. To add to my list, I think Divergent: Allegiant will do bad. Those movies never did Hunger Games numbers and I'm pretty sure the second one did not do as well as the first.
Insurgent earned about $9 million more than the first, but that's a pretty terrible increase considering the budget was $30 million higher and the fact that it was presented in 3D. Lionsgate is really making some questionable business decisions, especially now Hunger Games is over.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
🇭🇴🇱🇾
🇸🇭🇮🇹❗

@

Tarzan budget

$180million?

Damn WB will lose all its BvS profits on this...

Bomb by what standards?

What do you mean? There's really only the one standard, especially for the purposes of this thread: Financially.

Lots of shitty movies make tons of money. They're not bombs because they're bad. They're not bombs at all.

A bomb is a film that doesn't get close to its listed production budget back.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
This has flop written all over it. Maybe if it had come out a few years ago when WoW wasn't bleeding subscribers.

Warcraft was huge before WoW ever hit anyway , and the story is from Warcraft 1 which will be like a foreign concept to WoW only fans. People need to accept the Warcraftverse just translated well from RTS to MMO and the characters , design and voicework were popular for over 20 years. A movies is not a surprise, people wanted one (CGI movie that is) ever since WC3.

Lunar15

Gotta be Tarzan.

It has John Carter written all over it.

I'm writing down Warcraft as "biggest gamble". It really could go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom