• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Biggest Box Office Bomb of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
How the hell did this Huntsman Movie get Green lit? I didn't hate the first one, save for the fact that Kristen Stewart is "fairer" than Charlize Theron, the movie wasn't ass. But a sequel?

What do you mean? There's really only the one standard, especially for the purposes of this thread: Financially.

Lots of shitty movies make tons of money. They're not bombs because they're bad. They're not bombs at all.

A bomb is a film that doesn't get close to its listed production budget back.

Would you not argue that Pacific Rim, that did not financially bomb, was still considered a "vom" because it wasn't successful enough?

Well this is the same studio that gave Bryan Singer $195 million to make Jack the Giant Slayer...

I forgot that actually existed.

Box Office Mojo has it grossing 197 worldwide. $2 million over its listed production budget.

Would you not argue that Pacific Rim, that did not financially bomb, was still considered a "vom"

A what?

I would argue that it didn't bomb, because it didn't. I wouldn't argue that it disappointed, financially. But disappointment and bomb are not synonyms.

Warcraft was huge before WoW ever hit anyway , and the story is from Warcraft 1 which will be like a foreign concept to WoW only fans. People need to accept the Warcraftverse just translated well from RTS to MMO and the characters , design and voicework were popular for over 20 years. A movies is not a surprise, people wanted one (CGI movie that is) ever since WC3.
We're talking about the fanbase however, not the general public. Warcraft will have to rely on mainstream audiences to succeed in the box office, and I simply don't see that happening unless there's a sudden turnaround right before release.

Anyone thinking Assassin's Creed will be delayed to somewhere in January-March 2017? I can see releasing a week after Star Wars: Rogue One biting them in the ass.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
How the hell did this Huntsman Movie get Green lit? I didn't hate the first one, save for the fact that Kristen Stewart is "fairer" than Charlize Theron, the movie wasn't ass. But a sequel?

1 - Hollywood is creatively bankrupt
2 - first one made some decent money, so why not flip the coin twice

Tarzan. If you think Pan was a big bomb, this will be on another level. Gods of Egypt is a good runner up though.

Yeah. Pan has a listed 150 million budget, and made 125 worldwide. 35 domestically.

I believe people give even LESS of a fuck about Tarzan than they do Peter Pan. And WB spent more on Tarzan.

Son Of D

The first one made $396m on a $170m budget. So with Hollywood logic there's still some money to squeeze out of the franchise.

Ridley327

The first film did pretty well overall, and I imagine that the execs thought they got rid of its biggest problem by dropping the director and Stewart as a result of their very public affair getting out. The joke is sure to be on them.

I really hope that both Jessica Chastain and Emily Blunt get to make whatever the hell it is they want to in exchange for signing on to this film.

Warcraft was huge before WoW ever hit anyway , and the story is from Warcraft 1 which will be like a foreign concept to WoW only fans. People need to accept the Warcraftverse just translated well from RTS to MMO and the characters , design and voicework were popular for over 20 years. A movies is not a surprise, people wanted one (CGI movie that is) ever since WC3.

We're talking about the fanbase however, not the general public. Warcraft will have to rely on mainstream audiences to succeed in the box office, and I simply don't see that happening unless there's a sudden turnaround right before release.

Anyone thinking Assassin's Creed will be delayed to somewhere in January-March 2017? I can see releasing a week after Star Wars: Rogue One biting them in the ass.

Warcraft 3 came out in 2002, or 14 years ago.

World of Warcraft came out in late 2004, more than 11 years ago, and in the past few years it's become pretty irrelevant.

That's a long time for a franchise to maintain any sort of relevance in the mainstream eye without anything new.

We don't know the exact budget of Warcraft, except that it's a 9-figure movie (north of $100 million).

That's a LOT to put on an IP that's pretty obscure with the mainstream.

And Warcraft was niche back in the old PC / DOS days. It's not like it has any cultural resonance outside the nerds who used to play it back in the day.

Abounder

Banned
Assassin's Creed - Comes out a week after Star Wars and has a $150-200m budget

Ben-Hur - Epic can't be cheap, comes out a week after Suicide Squad

Pete's Dragon - Why?!

TDLink

There are lot of big bomb potentials this year, but I think Warcraft is probably safe from that. And anyone who thinks the superhero movies will bomb is delusional at this point (Fantastic Four last year was a very specific exception). Star Trek isn't going to bomb either. As much as some of the fans of the series hate the Abramsverse films, they do very well with the mainstream.

My top 5 picks for bombs:

1. Gods of Egypt
  2. Legend of Tarzan
  3. Assassin's Creed
  4. The 5th Wave
  5. Alice Through The Looking Glass

Huntsman 2 could also be on on this list but the first one did pretty well so I'm not as sure on it as these other 5. I also think Jungle Book is going to end up being pretty good considering how the first trailer looked

To me the biggest wild card this year is Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Harry Potter fans are fanatic, but how will they respond to this new film series? Same world...sort of...and completely different characters. With no real books preceding them. I think it definitely has the possibility of a bomb, but it could also be really successful. The introductory trailer isn't exactly doing it favours though...so time will tell.

mjc

Tarzan seems like the safe bet, either that or Gods of Egypt. Both are very very weird decisions by the studios. Assassin's Creed could either be a surprise hit or a barely surviving movie like Prince of Persia was.

Warcraft seems like a huge roll of the dice, but like others have said the WW BO will save it even if it's lukewarm domestically.

zma1013

They are launching that Tarzan movie the week after Independence Day 2. I imagine that is enough to guarantee it fails.

Also, holy shit they are still making Underworld movies. The world will never get tired of Kate Beckinsale in tight black leather.

Which is odd because Pac Rim made 411M on a 190M budget. Seem's about the same to me?
The issue with Pacific Rim is that it made only a $100 million domestic, with the rest of its gross coming from international markets. I'm not sure about the marketing budget, but I believe Pacific Rim barely broke even, and it had China to thank for it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Assassin's Creed - Comes out a week after Star Wars and has a $150-200m budget

This is like Rise of the Tomb Raider all over again, they have to push that release date. Rogue One won't do TFA numbers, but it will still clear a billion easily.

Farsi

If Tarzan is good, it can survive the 2nd week of Independence Day 2 and make a run all throughout July. I'm thinking Tarzan will be fine, the trailer was really good.

Gods of Egypt is the easy choice.

TDLink

Resident Evil too.

I think both Resident Evil and Underworld are too low budget to ever qualify as biggest bombs. Even though they aren't super successful/less people seethem, they still make a healthy profit since their budget is low.

gamz

The issue with Pacific Rim is that it made only a $100 million domestic, with the rest of its gross coming from international markets. I'm not sure about the marketing budget, but I believe Pacific Rim barely broke even, and it had China to thank for it.

True and I'm pretty sure they spent a ton on marketing Pac Rim.

gamz

I think both Resident Evil and Underworld are too low budget to ever qualify as biggest bombs. Even though they aren't super successful/less people seethem, they still make a healthy profit since their budget is low.

Oh, I know that. I was just saying that they are still being made. They are both really great for WW profits.

mjc

They are launching that Tarzan movie the week after Independence Day 2. I imagine that is enough to guarantee it fails.

Also, holy shit they are still making Underworld movies. The world will never get tired of Kate Beckinsale in tight black leather.

Preach it. They're my guilty pleasure movies, I don't think I'll ever get sick of them.

Don't underestimate the religious fanatics with that second one.

They are also a fickle bunch. I work at a movie theater in a religious area, I've seen religious movies do very well and bomb inexplicably. We had a Mormon documentary that sold out every showing for a couple of weeks and then when had another Mormon movie come out the month after and bomb horribly.

If Tarzan is good, it can survive the 2nd week of Independence Day 2 and make a run all throughout July. I'm thinking Tarzan will be fine, the trailer was really good.

Gods of Egypt is the easy choice.

I'm predicting ID4-2 to be the Jurassic World of 2016, so I very much doubt Tarzen 2 can survive even if it gets critical praise/WoM.

cloverfield 2 is on the list of future bombs IMO. Too niche.

It was probably made with the spare change Abrams had in his pocket that day, so I doubt it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
cloverfield 2 is on the list of future bombs IMO. Too niche.

There's a few people here that don't understand the concept of a BO bomb. Cloverfield (and Deadpool) probably won't bomb because it likely cost them nothing to make.

Farsi

I'm surprised people aren't mentioning The BFG. It's competing with Ninja Turtles 2, Finding Dory, and Ice Age. 130 million to make.

mjc

Pacific Rim was not a really good movie.

giphy.gif

It was a GREAT movie

Ridley327

I'm surprised people aren't mentioning The BFG. It's competing with Ninja Turtles 2, Finding Dory, and Ice Age. 130 million to make.

While it's obviously got the disadvantage of not being a well known book in the US, it's also not coming out on the same day as those films.

I'm surprised people aren't mentioning The BFG.

I'm not. It's going to do pretty well. Maybe not super-blockbuster status like E.T., but it's gonna make its budget back domestically at the very least, so that takes it out of consideration for this thread.

Whilst Disney has had their fair share of bombs, I don't see this being one of them. Disney knows how to handle and market properties like that.

Slayven

Yup. And in April. Tarzan is July I think.

Edit: Actually I can see the July 2016 on the poster now.
Yeah, Tarzan and that will be fighting for the title.

Who got time for a non Disney Jungle Book?

I think Deadpool will make money, but not enough to brag about or lineup a sequel

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I think Warcraft will be a 20/80 split
Domestic 20%, International 80% -5% either way

Guessing 65Mil opening weekend
Russia, China, and Europe will carry it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom