• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Biggest Box Office Bomb of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
assassin's creed stars fassbender, so that is almost a certain bomb. don't think it can match something like gods of egypt or tarzan though.

June and July are pretty stacked this year

June: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, Warcraft, Finding Dory, CIA, Independence Day 2
July: Tarzan (lol), BFG, Secret Life of Pets, Ghostbusters, Star Trek 3, Ice Age 41, Bourne 5

WillyFive

You guys should keep your eye on Warner Brothers' 180mil Tarzan movie.

220px-The_Legend_of_Tarzan_poster.jpg

Warner Bros. has a talent for bombs, I'll give them that.

Warner Bros. has a talent for bombs, I'll give them that.

These people decided to remake a cult early '90s action movie with no star power and put it up against one of the most anticipated franchise films and on Christmas

2015 seemed like a pretty damned bad year at WB but like... how did that even fly?

These people decided to remake a cult early '90s action movie with no star power and put it up against one of the most anticipated franchise films and on Christmas

2015 seemed like a pretty damned bad year at WB but like... how did that even fly?

Warners did not make point break. They merely distributed it .

ConceptX

Warcraft would be my pick.

I could see it doing moderately well (especially for video game movie standards), but either way, success or flop, it's still several years late for prime time in my opinion.

People saying Deadpool must be crazy, that's going to print money.

duckroll

Gods of Egypt will probably be the first obvious bomb of the year. But it might not be expensive enough to remain unchallenged. There'll definitely be stuff later in the year which are more expensive and might completely crater. It won't be Warcraft though, because while the movie could very well underperform, I don't think it'll have a chance of hitting "huh? it was released?" status like true bombs. At worst I think Warcraft will be a Pacific Rim situation.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
If Tarzan is good, it can survive the 2nd week of Independence Day 2 and make a run all throughout July. I'm thinking Tarzan will be fine, the trailer was really good.

Gods of Egypt is the easy choice.

I liked the Tarzan trailer too. I actually look forward to this. Nothing wrong with reviving old characters if done right. I wouldn't mind a new "back to basics" Zorro movie for instance.

My choices are Gods of Egypt, Huntsman 2, and Alice 2. All three trailers looked like they were filled with nothing but cheap and horrible CGI. Nothing turns me off faster than a movie that looks like it has tons of fake CGI action scenes with laughable monsters, unconvincing video game sets and over the top camera movements. Warcraft is also a likely bomb in the west. CGI characters looked horribly fake.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Warcraft will clean up over in Asia. It will be fine internationally.

Tarzan will be the biggest bomb of the year.

Jigorath

Banned
Alice 2 is going to tank domestically. Maybe overseas can save it.

Fantastic Beasts won't flop, but I don't think it'll come close to Harry Potter money.

And Tarzan, LOL.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm surprised people aren't mentioning The BFG. It's competing with Ninja Turtles 2, Finding Dory, and Ice Age. 130 million to make.

BFG will be a massive hit. Roah Dahl books are always great source material for movies. Plus it has Spielberg directing and Disney producing. From watching the trailer I got a "Spielberg going back to his roots" vibe. And that's the best feeling to bring me to a cinema.

BTW Shaking my heads at all the Tarzan detractors. Have you actually seen the teaser trailer? That movie lookessolid compared to the horrifying visuals of Alice 2, Huntsman 2 and Gods of Egypt.

Hmm...I just realized this exist...
This is French and released 2 years ago.

There is a new live action film by Disney releasing next March starring Emma Watson and Dan Stevens. It will also be a musical that features songs from the 1991 animated film plus new original songs by the songwriters of said 1991 film. I don't think this will bomb.

Quick

Banned
My guesses:

The 5th Wave
The Legend of Tarzan
The Huntsman: Winter's War
Gods of Egypt

Latter half of the year is hard to judge.

Yeah no way gambit is coming out this year unless they rush production.

I could see gambit having an audience, but certainly not large enough to overcome the rumored budgets.

Ashhong

I know it wasn't huge, but it had a fairly big marketing budget so I included it to show an example of a really good movie that can bomb hard.

Not sure if you're joking, but yeah, basically.

What was the marketing budget for Steve Jobs? I don't think I saw a single commercial.

Either way that is not "bombing hard"

Wait a minute, they're doing a spin-off for the hunstman from that Snow White movie? I thought people only watched the original because it was a fantasy take on a very famous fairy tale at a time these fantasy takes on famous fairy tales were trendy for some reason. But the huntsman?

Wait a minute, they're doing a spin-off for the hunstman from that Snow White movie? I thought people only watched the original because it was a fantasy take on a very famous fairy tale at a time these fantasy takes on famous fairy tales were trendy for some reason. But the huntsman?

Universal probably see Disney made hand over fist with Cinderella and want a piece of the pie.

What I don't get is the Huntsman basically dumps his Snow White girlfriend and find another lover in the sequel. How is that even a sequel.

injurai

Banned
My mom and grandma are really excited for that egypt movie, I think it's going to hit off well with a certain audience.

Also there second trailer turned it from looking like a cheeseball b-movie to being an almost competent mythological epic. It clearly will be the former, but people will get sold on the thought of the later.

Probably will still bomb, but maybe not as much as some think.

Universal probably see Disney made hand over fist with Cinderella and want a piece of the pie.

What I don't get is the Huntsman basically dumps his Snow White girlfriend and find another lover in the sequel. How is that even a sequel.

Didn't even know there was a Cinderella movie haha. Also reading up on it this is a prequel. Theron returns as the Queen too.

Warcraft.

I love Duncan Jones, but it just looks universally unappealing. The characters & world design don't fit with real human actors, the premise looks super-generic from an outside perspective, and there's very little to suggest it'll make back much of the $100M that Legendary sunk into it.

Ahasverus

For all of you saying Assassins Creed, I have to remind you that the talent behind it is of the highest calibre and they are working passionately for some inexplicable reason. It will probably be a critical hit.

Xero

Batman vs superman wont tank and if you think it will you've spent too much time hearing gaf bitch about it. I say tarzan. I havent seen the trailer for tarzan, but i just dont think the mass appeal for the source is there. Ive never cared for the tarzane story and dont care to even see the trailer and i think others are the same. Gods of egypt or snow white and the huntsman i kust dont think cost enough. I didnt see the first snow white, but this one looks a little more interesting, and admit i want to rent gods of egypt, because it looks like a fun pulpy ride to me.

For all of you saying Assassins Creed, I have to remind you that the talent behind it is of the highest calibre and they are working passionately for some inexplicable reason. It will probably be a critical hit.
There are plenty of great movies that bomb. Unfortunately critical succes doesn't guarantee financial succes, and it's release date following Rogue One doesn't really help it out much due to its budget.

injurai

Banned

Even PoP did fairly well. It might not hit off great with gamers, but the general public will be pulled in by the same appeal that the original game had for gamers. Now they get to experience the same badass ancient subterfuge in a medium they can approach.

Don't start a land war in Asia.
Don't release a nerd movie a week after a new Star Wars movie.

Nudull

Banned
Given the director, I seriously doubt it's being positioned to win awards of any kind, and I imagine nobody wants anything to do with Star Wars yet again.

That being said, a run of the cast list does make me happy that we're getting at least one ethnically diverse historical blockbuster for a change.

You doubt the genius who gave us Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?

Hard

Banned
$140 MILLION behind Gods of Egypt? The special effects are going to be boss, but I'm almost certain the plot will be terrible.

$180 MILLION behind a Tarzan movie? In the year of our lord two thousand and sixteen?

$100 MILLION behind Warcraft? The name alone certifies a bust. The name Warcraft just has too much stigma behind it to get people to watch.

kswiston

Don't start a land war in Asia.
Don't release a nerd movie a week after a new Star Wars movie.

It's the Holiday season. Even with the craziness that was the Force Awakens this year, other films managed to make around $350M in the two weeks from Dec 18-31st.

Compare that to the mere $140M that non-Avengers films managed to make in May 3-17, 2012.

Rogue One isn't going to shut out Assassins' Creed if general audiences are interested in the film. There is holiday business to go around.

The question will be whether audiences are interested.

Game came after the movie, bro.
TRON was not an adaptation of a previously existing video game.

TRON is also not a good movie. It's very, very boring.
I stand corrected, bros.

But only including adaptions I think misses one of the best gems: Wreck it Ralph. It took the best parts of video games of old and made it into a movie that actually worked.

It's also too bad we never got a BioShock movie. That had potential for an interesting story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom