• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still too early in the week to pin down the exact snow areas and amounts but it's beginning to become clear that there will be a storm with the potential to provide well over a foot of snow in areas across the Mid-Atlantic and North East. Something to keep in the back of your mind while making plays for the Friday - Sunday period.

map_specnewsdct-35_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

map_specnewsdct-36_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

cmc_snow_acc_east_24.png

index.php

BEqRgv5.jpg

Round 2: (Thursday through Sunday): Potentially More Significant Winter Storm?

What: A more potent weather system will take shape in the Midwest and South late this week in response to upper-level energy pushing into the West Tuesday into Wednesday. Once this energy gets east of the Rockies, it will likely trigger the development of a low pressure system over the South that may track then track to near or off the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast coasts late Friday into the weekend.

Where: Snow may initially develop from the central Plains into the Ozarks and Ohio Valley Thursday. By Thursday night or Friday, snow or a rain/snow mix may impact parts of the Ohio Valley, Tennessee Valley, Appalachians and potentially the Mid-Atlantic. The potential for wintry weather would then impact parts of the Northeast I-95 Friday night through Saturday, potentially lingering into Sunday.

How much: For all of the above mentioned areas, the snowfall accumulation potential will depend on a number of factors such as the timing, strength and the exact track of this storm. This is why you should check daily to see what the latest forecast is showing for potential snowfall accumulation in your location. That said, there is a realistic chance for very heavy snowfall to occur in some part of the Mid-Atlantic and/or Northeast. Below we discuss why the forecast is uncertain.

Why is There Uncertainty With the Late Week Storm?

It's fairly common to have uncertainty with a potential winter storm several days in advance, and sometimes the details aren't yet set in stone until a day or two in advance in very complicated situations.

In this case, the upper-level energy responsible for the potential late week storm is still over the northern Pacific Ocean, which is a long distance away from the eastern United States.

Computer models are used to depict how that energy may track and evolve through the atmosphere over the course of time, and can yield different or similar outcomes with each run of the models every day.

One factor in play is the fact that the disturbance is still in an area that is lacking the kind of surface and upper-air weather data that are found over land areas for the computer models to ingest. Once the system reaches the West Coast later Tuesday it will finally be in an area where more of that data is available for computer models to use. This in turn may lead to a convergence of model scenarios towards a consensus, meaning, a "most likely" forecast.

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/snow-ohio-valley-middle-atlantic-northeast

cirrhosis

DC area isn't going to get shit.

I've given up that we'll get another Snowmageddon here like back in the winter of 09-10.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I am still firmly convinced that the southern NY area will get no significant snowfall this winter.

PROVE ME WRONG, NATURE.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Bring it, for I will face my enemy in cold combat! It has been far too long and I thirst for battle.

(I like the snow, or I would have moved long ago)

Amir0x

Banned
this winter has been so mild I almost want the snow. I will say that I'll wait until model forecasts late Wednesday before buying into any hype about the strength of this storm.

this winter has been so mild I almost want the snow. I will say that I'll wait until model forecasts late Wednesday before buying into any hype about the strength of this storm.

Careful...the winter was mild last year too, until February hit. Then we all got buried.

garath

No. Do not want. I've been enjoying the very small amounts of snow so far in ct. Even worse, I currently have tarps covering my skylights because they leak. They are ordered, just waiting on the person to get them and come out to replace them. This will mess that up for sure.

marrec

Banned
Last night they were calling for 12-16 inches over the two days for Pittsburgh.

We all knew it was coming, but I hate when it comes all at once.

Gonna have to get the snow blower started up for real. Haven't done any prep yet.

The hard times really came in late January last year... This was the storm that gave us 36 inches of snow on January 27.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_2015_North_American_blizzard

And then between Feburary 1 and Feb 15, there was an additional 45 inches of snow. In the span of 3 weeks, New England got some 80+ inches of snow, from Jan 27 -> Feb 15. And it was just brutally cold the whole time too.

TheFatOne

These things always fail to deliver.

lol Maybe where you live, but in New England around this time was snow season last year. Got dumped with a shit ton of snow late January into February. Hope this is just a one off. Don't want to deal with that shit again.

gdt

Fuck this shit. My commute is through farmlands and steep hills. Very real chance I'll have to expense a motel stay. Only 1 motel close by, and apparently it's mega shitty.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wonder how bad this will be. Its certainly cold enough now in most of the NE for some serious snow. We had a dusting yesterday but that was about it for this Winter so far as of New Jersey.

I would like one snow storm this year though I would like if it was actually on a workday so I could go home early or even get a full day off.

Sonicbug

It better not snow on Saturday. I have plans. =[
At least the snow last night wasn't bad here, made for a pretty ride to work this morning.

Crazy how only a few hours drive makes a difference. I had a dusting last night.

Yep... last 2 "storms" didn't drop anything in Boston, but central Mass got a solid 2 - 4" in both of them + shitty driving conditions. I hate working with people from Boston who get all rain and have no idea that there was a blizzard west of 495.

pdk27

Can't wait trying to get back to NJ from FL on Sunday. So happy that my cousin decided to get married in the winter.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Same. being a friday-saturday storm means its possible to enjoy it and get my beer on so im excited for that.

Mmm good call. The thought of chilling inside with beer and hot chocolate and just having a lazy netflix/videogame weekend while the snow comes down is pretty nice.

cirrhosis

Man, can you be a little more positive? I feel good about this. I'm expecting at least a foot of snow.

I'm trying so hard but it's tough when we get let down on getting neat winter storms again and again.

On the other hand, we had pretty nice weather and temps up through early December so maybe we used up our weather quota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom