• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Etrian Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sekaiju no Meikyuu will no longer be coming stateside as Yggdrasil Labyrinth but rather as Etrian Odyssey. The game is directed by Kazuya Niinou (Trauma Center: Under the Knife), with Shigeo Komori (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner) doing the story design, and Yuzo Koshiro (Actraiser, Streets of Rage) heading up sound design.

http://www.allrpg.com/rpgnews/news_show.php?newsid=2840

Screens:
eo013.jpg
eo014.jpg
eo015.jpg

eo016.jpg
eo026.jpg
eo032.jpg

PR:
Atlus U.S.A., Inc., a leading publisher of interactive entertainment, today announced the acquisition of the North American publishing rights to Etrian Odyssey, a ground-breaking RPG for the Nintendo DS known as Sekaiju no Meikyuu in Japan.

Directed by Kazuya Niinou (Trauma Center: Under the Knife), with story design by Shigeo Komori (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner) and sound design by the legendary Yuzo Koshiro (Actraiser, Streets of Rage), Etrian Odyssey is currently scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2007.

“This game revitalizes the classic spirit of exploration and adventure for a new platform and a new audience,” said Nich Maragos, project lead of Etrian Odyssey for Atlus USA. “The hand-drawn map feature along with the lush graphics will make gamers want to get lost in the striking forest world of Etria.”

Etrian Odyssey has not yet been rated by the ESRB; an E10+ or T rating is expected.

About Etrian Odyssey
In a vast and fertile land lies a small town known as Etria, a peaceful village that became famous for a startling discovery. A crack in the vast forest opened at Etria’s edge, leading downward like a gaping maw. It all began there…

Those who hear rumors of the labyrinth of Etria, whether young or old, begin to harbor dreams of exploring it.

Riches… fame… prestige… all that and one more thing does the labyrinth promise: the true spirit of adventure, on the perilous edge of death.

Today, like any other day in the new Etria, a youth walks through the town gates…

Etrian Odyssey Key Features
• Make your own maps with the Touch Screen! Plot your progress through the labyrinth, drawing walls and placing icons to note special events, treasure chests, doors, pits, stairs, and landmarks.
• Nine character classes! Create a woodland survivalist, shield-bearing templar, whip-wielding dark hunter, or any of a half-dozen other types. Populate an adventurer’s guild with up to 20 characters!
• Turn-based strategic combat! Acquire and collect more than 20 battle skills for your adventuring party of five characters.
• All-star production staff! Direction by Kazuya Niinou (Trauma Center: Under the Knife), story design by Shigeo Komori (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner), and sound design by Yuzo Koshiro (Actraiser, Streets of Rage).
• Beautiful 3D graphics! Say goodbye to the dank, gray corridors of past dungeon RPGs as you step into warm, inviting, forest environments rendered in an original 3D engine.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
**** YEAH.

Not only do we get it, but stupid ****tards won't be confusing it with Yggdra Union for the GBA!

Awesome art. Awesome graphics. That red dragon looks sick. And Yuzo Koshiro! That's two DS games he's working on now!

From the write-up, it looks to provide a decent and perhaps deep amount of character classes and items to fiddle with. Hot!

Firestorm

Mejilan said:
Not only do we get it, but stupid ****tards won't be confusing it with Yggdra Union for the GBA!

Interestingly enough, the first thing I thought while reading this topic was "Wasn't that a GBA game?"

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So, does this mean that the 4 of us that bought Deep Labyrinth essentially caused Atlus to meet their expectations for that particular game?

Firestorm said:
Interestingly enough, the first thing I thought while reading this topic was "Wasn't that a GBA game?"

You know I was just playin', right? Please don't hate me... :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looks awesome but I can do without the N1 style pedobait characters. Monsters look great and the 3D environments look pretty good too. Was playing a bit of the Phantasy Star PS2 remake and that got me in the mood for 3D dungeon action so this is a nice find. My friend is raving about this game over AIM to me now for some reason... but it was only in this thread that I caught YUZO KOSHIRO doing the music!

Link1110

No idea how it looks in motion, but those battle stills look GOOD, almost like Tengai Makyou: The Apocalypse IV.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
jj984jj said:
The game is directed by Kazuya Niinou (Trauma Center: Under the Knife), with Shigeo Komori (Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner) doing the story design, and Yuzo Koshiro (Actraiser, Streets of Rage) heading up sound design.

Rhythm.gif
JUST
Rhythm.gif

mollipen

Amir0x said:
Speaking of Atlus, what the hell happened to Odin's Sphere?

They jumped the gun in showing off what they did at E3, from what I've heard. Which sucks, because I got a quick tease of the game, and then it suddenly disappears.

Joe Molotov

Chris Michael said:
I like the US name more than the original name. I hope this game is good, the art looks really slick.

You can really only use Yggdrasil in the the title of a game so many times. Like once.

Amir0x

Banned
shidoshi said:
They jumped the gun in showing off what they did at E3, from what I've heard. Which sucks, because I got a quick tease of the game, and then it suddenly disappears.

Damn that sucks. All the reports of the spectacular 2D visuals made me giddy, and plus it means PS2 is still beating its heart :lol

ethelred

Wario64 said:

That just about sums this up perfectly.

Best freaking news all day. Yggdrasil Labyrinth has looked all kinds of awesome ever since it was unveiled (fantastic dev team, Atlus-developed quality, gorgeous look, Yuzo music) -- and Q1 07 is right around the corner, too!

DataBot

ethelred said:
That just about sums this up perfectly.

Best freaking news all day. Yggdrasil Labyrinth has looked all kinds of awesome ever since it was unveiled (fantastic dev team, Atlus-developed quality, gorgeous look, Yuzo music) -- and Q1 07 is right around the corner, too!

Awesome Gaming sessions confirmed already for this game, Atlus Going Up Respect Bitch.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Atlus R&D1 has been rocking lately, they are trying different things (trauma center for example) and creating new franchises that look hot in the process dont get me started on the Megaten goodness they have been providing lately. one of the most talented development studio right now.

ethelred

Some info I haven't seen posted yet:

Battle System
Etrian Odyssey uses a turn-based battle system, with a gameplay balance similar to the Shin Megami Tensei series; careless errors will bring about a swift demise. The player can acquire and collect skills, but strategy is emphasized over the player’s skills or levels.

True Dual-Screen Gameplay
Most games for the Nintendo DS use the Touch Screen for gameplay, and the Top Screen for secondary elements, such as map or statistical displays. Etrian Odyssey uses both.

The Top Screen uses a robust 3D engine to display the environment from a first-person perspective, while the Touch Screen is used by the player to draw and create maps of each environment in a “Conquest Journal.”

Character Classes
 Landsknecht: A master of close combat who wields swords and axes.
 Survivalist: A woodland ranger with abundant knowledge of forest lore.
 Templar: This holy knight’s shield protects her and her comrades alike.
 Dark Hunter: A hunter with a long whip that strikes enemies’ weak points with pinpoint accuracy.
 Medic: Provides much-needed medical assistance with her healing skills and techniques.
 Alchemist: A scholar of arcane knowledge, whose research into the secret arts allows him to control paranormal phenomena.
 Minstrel: A support class who lifts the party’s spirits with her singing and dancing.
 Warlock: Has power over life and death, as well as the ability to control minds, using his forbidden magic.
 Bushido: A foreign swordsman with a unique method of bladesmanship. Not many have seen his style used before.

Difficult, unforgiving battles... lots of skills and character customization... 3D dungeon exploration... as far as I can tell, this basically is a brand new Shin Megami Tensei game, just under a different name.

Wow, sounds awesome; thanks, ethelred. I'm glad this isn't until 2007 so it won't get lost in the shuffle quite as badly :)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Battle System
Etrian Odyssey uses a turn-based battle system, with a gameplay balance similar to the Shin Megami Tensei series; careless errors will bring about a swift demise. The player can acquire and collect skills, but strategy is emphasized over the player’s skills or levels.
oh fuuuuuuuuuck yes!

R&D1 are gods

cant wait for this!

jesusraz

Holy moly! Great to see this being confirmed for the US...Games like this will struggle to reach Europe, though, unless RSG, GameStreet or Digital Bros. pick them up.

Seriously, don't put such thread titles....there is enough space to say 'Yggdrassil Labyrinth (Seikaiju no Meikyuu) becomes Etrian Odyssey' :(

Symytry

darkvir said:
YES! Nice job Atlus! The killer software for the DS is unbeatable, it keeps on coming :)

Atlus ownes the DS RPG market pretty much. The only competition they really have to worry about is themselves!

The graphics found in this game are what Deep Labrynth wished it could have had. More likely than not I'll be nabbing this one as well :)

...at second glance it kinda reminds me of how Shining the Holy Ark pulled off its graphics on the Saturn. Hopefully we'll see more of this!

LOCK

Mejilan said:
**** YEAH.

Awesome art. Awesome graphics. That red dragon looks sick. And Yuzo Koshiro! That's two DS games he's working on now!

From the write-up, it looks to provide a decent and perhaps deep amount of character classes and items to fiddle with. Hot!

You said it all. :)

Christian

Aeana said:
They're not even the same kind of game. :\

... You're annoying. I was being sarcastic. I already bought Deep Labyrinth, and like it quite a bit.

You know, people on here know things about video games. You don't have to correct everyone's post, when you think you know something they don't. Seriously. It's okay. We got by before you started posting here.

Aeana

Christian said:
... You're annoying. I was being sarcastic. I already bought Deep Labyrinth, and like it quite a bit.

You know, people on here know things about video games. You don't have to correct everyone's post, when you think you know something they don't. Seriously. It's okay. We got by before you started posting here.

And I'm the annoying one? Get over yourself. Deep Labyrinth gets a lot of hate by plenty of people, which I think is unwarranted. I interjected for that reason.

ethelred

Symytry said:
Atlus ownes the DS RPG market pretty much. The only competition they really have to worry about is themselves!

The graphics found in this game are what Deep Labrynth wished it could have had. More likely than not I'll be nabbing this one as well :)

...at second glance it kinda reminds me of how Shining the Holy Ark pulled off its graphics on the Saturn. Hopefully we'll see more of this!

Atlus, Square Enix, and Nintendo, pretty much.

It does remind me of Shining the Holy Ark in some ways (why is this not on the DS yet, Sega?), but much more than that it reminds me of what it would look like if Atlus R&D1 was to make a totally original game in the spirit and style of Shin Megami Tensei 1/2. And that's even cooler.

Aurora said:
Nice! This game looks great.

What did it get in Famitsu btw?

It hasn't been rated yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom