• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP - Resident Evil 2: Surviving the Horror

ScOULaris

Resident-Evil-2-Banner.jpg

I had been on the fence about purchasing the recently released remaster of Resident Evil Zero, as I was in the mood for some classic RE but was hesitant to pay full price for what most consider to be a weaker entry in the series. I ultimately ended up deciding to wait for a sale on RE0, and I've instead started a new game of RE2 to scratch that itch. Since it has been over a decade since I last played RE2 and the remake is in development, I thought this was as good a time as any to refresh my memory of the game.

And man, this game still holds up very well. It's fantastic.

I'm playing on my Vita with headphones, and RE2 is reminding me all over again why I love Classic RE. Just as the HD re-release of REmaster did when I played through it on PS4, RE2's balanced mixture of tension, exploration, puzzle-solving, and item management is making it clearer than ever to me what has been lost in every entry since RE4. While all manner of zombies and other infected archetypes have inundated popular culture and entertainment in recent years, RE2 features the good ol' fashioned Romero brand of zombies. And I love that.

I'm not mowing down hordes of screeching, sprinting freaks like we do in so many modern zombie games. Instead, I'm having to make tough decisions as to whether or not I should use precious bullets to clear a path through 3-4 shambling, groaning, brain-eating abominations in order to access the room(s) that lie beyond them. The fear comes from trying to snake your way around small groups of slow-moving zombies in tight corridors, only this time around the zombies are more numerous than they were in RE1/REmake.

It's funny because RE2 is looked back on as a more action-packed sequel to RE1, and that's accurate. You are definitely doing more shooting and dealing with larger groups of enemies in RE2 than you did in the original. But it feels odd to think of this as "action-packed" when compared to what the series has become. Compared to RE4-6, this is practically an adventure game with horror elements. Mikami described the old brand of RE as "beautiful horror" when explaining his move towards the more popular gruesome bent of modern horror in the development of The Evil Within, and I think that descriptor is perfectly apt.

Classic RE games drop the player in locales that are beautiful and mysterious, thanks in large part to the decision to use pre-rendered backdrops and fixed, cinematic camera angles. And one of the core strengths of both RE1 and RE2 IMO is how they both task the player with navigating large, memorable locations in the form of Spencer Mansion and the Raccoon City Police Department. By the end of both games, you know the layout of their respective settings like the back of your hand. While backtracking is frowned upon in modern game design, I think both of these game make a case for how it can be done to great effect. The environment becomes a puzzle and a character within itself.

As for my playthrough, I'm currently at the puzzle early in the police station where you slide the statues into place to get the second ruby. It has been so long since I played this game that much of it seems new to me again. For one thing, I was taken off guard by how difficult the game can be. I found myself out of save ribbons in critical condition early on in the police station, and it took me numerous tries of exploring in different directions and avoiding zombie-packed rooms to get the supplies I needed to press on. Making small inventory-management decisions meaningful is one of the most subtle but important accomplishments of the early RE games, and I'm glad to be reminded of how well RE2 preserves this aspect despite being more action-heavy than its predecessor.

I'll keep everyone who's interested updated on my playthrough in this thread, and if anybody else is going to revisit RE2 feel free to share your progress here as well.

This game is a masterpiece. I pray to God that the remake is faithful to it, and does not go with the RE4 formula.

Also, yeah, these games had more in common with adventure games than action games. I've always though of them as being Metroidvania, with keys and cranks instead of power-ups. But considering how action-y the Metroidvania games are, I think it would be more apt to identify the old-school RE games with adventure games. Resident Evil is kinda what Grim Fandango would be if it had enemies and was a B-grade horror flick instead of a comedy. Kinda. :p

ScOULaris

Also, yeah, these games had more in common with adventure games than action games. I've always though of them as being Metroidvania, with keys and cranks instead of power-ups. But considering how action-y the Metroidvania games are, I think it would be more apt to identify the old-school RE games with adventure games.

Yeah, that's a good way of looking at Classic RE games. Horror-themed Metroidvanias.

While the formula would eventually wear thin (probably around the release of RE0, honestly), I think it's high time for it to make a return. It's not so much that the formula itself got old. It's just that Capcom's implementation of it started to rely too much on recycling elements from previous games. RE4 was the shot in the arm that the series needed at the time, for sure, but I think with RE5 and RE6 having pretty much taken the series into cuckoo-ville it's time for a reboot of some sort in the style of the Classic RE games. I say scrap all the characters and start fresh.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can't believe what a perfect sequel this game is. It takes the two character system and improves upon it with the A/B scenarios. It takes the iconic, isolated horror feel of the Spencer Estate and recaptures it in the middle of a crowded city, which is really impressive. It has very organic ties to the first game's story despite featuring almost an entirely new cast. It adds more of a plot to the game to keep the player on the edge of their seat.

It takes everything the first game did and refines it. And, best of all, it has its own unique feel to it with the city having a different atmosphere than the mansion, so it doesn't supercede Resident Evil 1; they're both equally entertaining games in their own way. REmake 2 will be glorious.

Bergerac

I wouldn't agree that the formula wore thin, I think the problem was that they killed off Racoon City too fast. The mansion should've just been the beginning. A tighter story that followed Chris' and Jill's immediate actions (given that we at least saw Jill) following the mansion and leadng up to RE2 at the very least would've provided enough story impetus to continue. At the end of the first game they fly into the sunset but the woods are full of zombies apparently and heading towards the city and the 'bizarre murders' would continue and the victims would start rising (literally). The city eventually becomes overrun but they could've had some midsteps there before RE2/3's events.

Randam

The adventure part was always the main reason why I like the old re games.

And yeah, really hope the remake will be like the REmake of part 1.

ScOULaris

Funny to see you having difficulty in the easiest of the RE games lol. It eases up anyways as soon as you hit the sewers.

Well it's just because I took some damage in the city areas prior to the police station, forgetting that there are no healing items until about 30+ minutes into the game. Dodging groups of zombies with tank controls and fixed camera angles can be tough if you haven't done it in over a decade. So when I saved I only had enough life to take one more hit, and I still had to deal with the first Licker in the hallway. I also only had one shotgun shell at the time.

So it was more just bad planning on my part than anything.

Mrmartel

Banned
RE2 is one of the best sequels ever made. If RE2 remake is done in a similar vein of REmake. It will be my GOTY for the year it's released.

For the future of RE, I want Capcom to split the series into three game types. Each have their different strengths.

Traditional RE. Which hopefully RE2 remake kick starts again.

REV series. The mid budget modern RE take. That can explore side stories and gimmicks that might work.

Mainline series. With a AAA budget that hopefully follows RE4 more, instead of the RE5/RE6 template.

LUXURY

This game is literally everything to me. It brings back so many memories. Was truly the first time in gaming where I remembered where puzzle pieces were and all that. I have played this so many times and it hasn't gotten old. From the voices to the sound effects it's just perfect to me. I have so many expectations for the remaster that I don't know how I will feel if they aren't met. Sure, they probably won't be but I won't accept a complete butcher of a game that is so close to my heart, in many forms.

h0tp0ck3t

No matter how many times I play this game I still get scared
when that damn Licker crashes through the one way glass in the interrogation room

Best in the series, can't wait for the remake

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Claire Refield is still the best woman in the series <3 Code Veronica was my first Resident Evil game which I really enjoyed, and I've always wished I could play RE2.

I loved RE4, 5 and 6, and Revelations 2 is my favorite in the series so far. Hope I get to play RE2 and 3 some day, even if 3 doesn't star any of my faves (Chris and Claire). I can't stand zombies but this is the one series where I can tolerate them because I love the cast of protagonists so much.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently finishing up a REmaster run and have RE0 waiting for me when I'm done, and hopefully early next year we'll have RE2make to look forward to. It's a good time to be an old school RE fan.

Well it's just because I took some damage in the city areas prior to the police station, forgetting that there are no healing items until about 30+ minutes into the game. Dodging groups of zombies with tank controls and fixed camera angles can be tough if you haven't done it in over a decade. So when I saved I only had enough life to take one more hit, and I still had to deal with the first Licker in the hallway. I also only had one shotgun shell at the time.

There's a hidden green herb outside of the police station by brad in the bushes.

Sesha

RE2 was tied with 3 as my favorite for a long while until REmake usurped them both. RE3 rivaled RE2 for me, because as a young'un, I was completely enraptured by RE and desperately wanted RE2, but I was never allowed to buy it and I would never get it as a gift. It wasn't until I was 13-14 when my parents thought I was mature enough to play them on my own that I could finally buy RE3. We ended up borrowing RE2 from a friend, and my brother later bought RE2. So RE3 feels a bit more special to me, despite RE2 probably being a better game. Also, I preferred being able to explore Raccoon City to going underground in RE2.

What I like about them still, aside from being really fun games, is the feeling of tension and desperation that both games have. RE1 feels more like a classic horror story, where mystery, the feeling of terror and fear of the unknown is the focus, whereas RE2 and RE3 have that nervous, paranoid desperation of late 70s-80s dystopic/apocalyptic sci-fi like Alien, Day of the Dead, Terminator and Aliens.

I really hope they nail the atmosphere in RE2, besides expanding on the game REmake-style while keeping it true to the classic look and design that people largely expect.

RE2 is one of the best sequels ever made. If RE2 remake is done in a similar vein of REmake. It will be my GOTY for the year it's released.

For the future of RE, I want Capcom to split the series into three game types. Each have their different strengths.

Traditional RE. Which hopefully RE2 remake kick starts again.

REV series. The mid budget modern RE take. That can explore side stories and gimmicks that might work.

Mainline series. With a AAA budget that hopefully follows RE4 more, instead of the RE5/RE6 template.

I think this is the way they're going forward. We might get both Outbreak Files and RE 3 HD if RE 0 HD and RE2 HD do well. They'll be doing the remake and remaster route for classic RE for a while. I doubt we'll be getting an original classic-style RE until they've exhausted every other possibility and if sales are still there.

Shredderi

Great, great game. Played it for the first time in halloween 2014 with RE:R, RE3 and Silent Hill and this is the game that I enjoyed the most. I had heard everything about it before playing but that did not diminish my enjoyment one bit. Needless to say I was ecstatic to hear a year later that RE2:R is actually a thing ^_^

ScOULaris

I think this is the way they're going forward. We might get both Outbreak Files and RE 3 HD if RE.0 HD and RE2 HD do well. They'll be doing the remake and remaster route for classic RE for a while. I doubt we'll be getting an original classic-style RE until they've exhausted every other possibility and sales are still there.

I dunno. I mean does Capcom really have the money/resources to maintain three different strains of RE games at once? I think the ideal situation would be for them to reboot the series kind of how RE4 did, only this time reboot the entire timeline/story. It's way too far gone now and needs to be thrown out.

A reboot would give them an opportunity to re-structure the games to possess both the strengths of classic and neo Resident Evil.

Honestly, though, I think you'd need a real talent like Mikami or Kamiya back at the helm in order to pull something like that off.

Still the best in the series.

It's top 3 for me (and 2nd best classic style), and is the best in a lot of ways (best bosses of the classics, great art direction, maybe best pacing, and the best soundtrack) . But the puzzles in 2 are the absolute worst of the classic RE games (I hesitate to even call them such) and the level design isn't as good as REmake.

Sesha

I dunno. I mean does Capcom really have the money/resources to maintain three different strains of RE games at once? I think the ideal situation would be for them to reboot the series kind of how RE4 did, only this time reboot the entire timeline/story. It's way too far gone now and needs to be thrown out.

A reboot would give them an opportunity to re-structure the games to possess both the strengths of classic and neo Resident Evil.

Honestly, though, I think you'd need a real talent like Mikami or Kamiya back at the helm in order to pull something like that off.

Well, it's basically what they're doing. We're getting RE2 HD, RE7, and I can bet you Revelations 3 will come about as well. As long as the sales are there, which I think will be the case. RE7 will probably take a big, hefty page from The Last of Us and a smaller one from Tomb Raider, as they've talked about both before. Basically I expect the modern style, with co-op, but with a more intimate story.

I doubt they'll consider a reboot unless RE7 really underperforms. The lore of the series is important to the fan base, and the wider audience doesn't seem to mind the extensive numbering or be confused by the amount of spin-offs and side games. I don't think there's much to be confused about. Like I said, I doubt they'll be doing original stories in the classic style until they've exhausted every option. Meaning RE2, 3, Outbreaks 1 and 2, maybe even Code Veronica. They have a working formula. Classic RE focuses on remasters and remakes of the series back catalog, mainline RE forges the path ahead, and Revelations fills in the gaps between each mainline game. They have enough to keep them going until the next decade, at least. We will have to see how RE7 and RE2 HD does.

Hazmat

The beginning of RE2 has always been really hard for me. I usually come in without having played a RE game recently, so the tank controls plus tons of zombies with little ammo makes the first 20 minutes really rough on me. Now, by the end Leon, at least, is an unstoppable killing machine, but the beginning really makes you fight to survive.

One of the most important games to me personally. It really sparked my love for gaming and horror along with Silent Hill. Both are GOAT tier series to me <3

In both cases the newer stuff hasn't been too impressive :(

rochers

Neo Member
I recently replayed this for the first time in about 10 years as well and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I agree with all of your points but I'd like to give special mention to the soundtrack, it's still my favourite of all the RE games.

https://youtu.be/aGQd4P6oTnE

ScOULaris

I recently replayed this for the first time in about 10 years as well and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I agree with all of your points but I'd like to give special mention to the soundtrack, it's still my favourite of all the RE games.

I'm gonna have to agree with you there. The sound design in all of the classic RE games is great, but the soundtrack in 2 is definitely the standout for me.

I'm gonna have to agree with you there. The sound design in all of the classic RE games is great, but the soundtrack in 2 is definitely the standout for me.

I miss Masami Ueda's music, he made some great music, Killer 7 was also one of my favorite OSTs, together with the RE music.

RE2 is an excellent game, though I always have a weaker spot for RE1. I replayed RE2 on a airplane to Tokyo a few years ago on my Vita. It holds up nicely on the little screen. I played with Claire then, so I might play Leon's part with the save I still have.

d3vnull

The music still gives me the chills.
Also RE1 and especially RE2 were the first games that got me really invested in their stories.
A remake of RE2 would be sweet.

ScOULaris

Played a bit more into the game last night. I'm about to start exploring the eastern half of the second floor of the police station, just after lowering the ladder from upper balcony to the central hall. I find myself having a harder time just avoiding zombies than I did in REmake. Maybe it's because there are just more of them in tight areas, but I end up killing them with pistol rounds more often than not. I know people suggest using the knife to save ammo, but I get grabbed whenever I try. I guess I'm just not that great with tank controls.

Here's a phone pic I snapped of the game running on my Vita:

Great post. Almost as beautiful as the game. I agree with a lot of what you said, especially things like backtracking turning the location into a puzzle and giving it a character of it's own. I hope capcom understands these things when they remake it.

Great post OP. It's consistently at the top of my all time list. I could play it again on my Vita, but it's criminal there's no way to play it on the PS4 or Steam yet.

I just finished RE0 again last night and am hungry for more. Though I've played RE3 the least and might have to go through that one first.

Ralemont

not me
What? RE3 is so much harder r u serious. You may have played on easy which starts you off with a machine gun and a ton of ammo. Hard is the real way to play.

Fancy Clown, you insult my honor! I always play on Hard.

RE3 is easy for several reasons. One, common enemies (and Nemesis) are less of a threat thanks to the dodge and push mechanics. Two, gunpowder means you will never run out of ammo. Three, explosive barrels. Four, more outdoor areas, which means more space for juking. Five, stronger unique weapons, like the mine thrower.

What makes you think RE3 is harder than RE2?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

RE3 is easy for several reasons. One, common enemies (and Nemesis) are less of a threat thanks to the dodge and push mechanics. Two, gunpowder means you will never run out of ammo. Three, explosive barrels. Four, more outdoor areas, which means more space for juking. Five, stronger unique weapons, like the mine thrower.

As someone who plays almost all my games on hard, I do personally think RE2 is marginally easier than RE3, BUT RE3's difficulty is not set exactly.

Here's my reasoning;

-Stealth is super good in RE2 against most special enemies, but especially against Lickers and Dogs. If you don't run in a room with Lickers or Dogs or events where they're immediately agro'd to attack you, you can sort of easily sneak by them. They are blind, and won't be agro'd unless you run while in the room with them, shoot, or they get too close to you.

-There are far more herbs in RE2, and its the shorter game. I don't have an exact count on hand, but there are definitely more, and they're more frequent.

-The puzzles in RE2 are shit easy.

-Mr. X is a much easier stalker than Nemesis. While his appearances are more startling more often, actually getting away from him is usually super simple.

-The bosses in RE2 in general are much easier than RE3. The G-Creature, first William encounter, and the Alligator are much, much, much easier than your two encounters with the Worm and the encounters with Nemesis. The trickier bosses are probably William Form 2 and Mr. X boss fight, but those are still easy compared to RE3's bosses.

-RE3's special enemies are harder. The drain deimos have two variants, and one of them is a bitch that will get quick hits in on you. The Hunters have their annoying one-hit kill attack and other quick swipes and often come in pairs of two, notable there is no enemy in RE2 with a one-hit kill attack.

-RE2 has much larger environments usually than RE3 when they throw a shit ton of zombies at you. In RE2, when a bunch of zombies are thrown at you, it's often in a sort of open area where it's much easier to evade them. In RE3, it's more often in tighter areas. A few examples would be the area with the TV puzzle, the opening roads around where you get the shotgun, the alley before the cafe, etc. Much narrower places with mass zombie crowds.

Just some of my thoughts.

Ralemont

not me
As someone who plays almost all my games on hard, I do personally think RE2 is marginally easier than RE3, BUT RE3's difficulty is not set exactly.

Here's my reasoning;

-Stealth is super good in RE2 against most special enemies, but especially against Lickers and Dogs. If you don't run in a room with Lickers or Dogs or events where they're immediately agro'd to attack you, you can sort of easily sneak by them. They are blind, and won't be agro'd unless you run while in the room with them, shoot, or they get too close to you.

-There are far more herbs in RE2, and its the shorter game. I don't have an exact count on hand, but there are definitely more, and they're more frequent.

-The puzzles in RE2 are shit easy.

-Mr. X is a much easier stalker than Nemesis. While his appearances are more startling more often, actually getting away from him is usually super simple.

-The bosses in RE2 in general are much easier than RE3. The G-Creature, first William encounter, and the Alligator are much, much, much easier than your two encounters with the Worm and the encounters with Nemesis. The trickier bosses are probably William Form 2 and Mr. X boss fight, but those are still easy compared to RE3's bosses.

-RE3's special enemies are harder. The drain deimos have two variants, and one of them is a bitch that will get quick hits in on you. The Hunters have their annoying one-hit kill attack and other quick swipes and often come in pairs of two, notable there is no enemy in RE2 with a one-hit kill attack.

-RE2 has much larger environments usually than RE3 when they throw a shit ton of zombies at you. In RE2, when a bunch of zombies are thrown at you, it's often in a sort of open area where it's much easier to evade them. In RE3, it's more often in tighter areas. A few examples would be the area with the TV puzzle, the opening roads around where you get the shotgun, the alley before the cafe, etc. Much narrower places with mass zombie crowds.

Just some of my thoughts.

Solid points, and I agree there are some aspects (like the bosses) where it'd be hard to argue otherwise. But I find that Resident Evil 3 balances for the increased difficulty in the ways I argued above, and that the balance changes favor the player more than the enemy. In particular, once you understand how dodging works, any encounter with Nemesis is pretty much GG. And with the gunpowder you can pick and choose the ammo you want, eventually ending up with a shitload of acid rounds and magnum ammo. Being able to continually use the GL also frees up an inventory slot. That sort of thing is something that I suppose can vary from playthrough to playthrough, though (most RE3 playthroughs I don't get hit by the worm, but there's a few that eat up far too many herbs).

A lot of what Dusk Golem already said. Harder enemies (the hunters are way harder than lickers, lots of packs of dogs, the insect critters), more zombies (and a lot more instances where they come from behind as well as in front of you, or new ones break through the environment in cramped corridors), harder bosses, scarcer healing supplies, way "harder" puzzles, and nemesis. It gets easier after the clock tower stuff tho since you have a huge arsenal by that point, but every classic RE game gets easier towards the end.

Top Bottom