• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP - Resident Evil 2: Surviving the Horror

Ralemont

not me
A lot of what Dusk Golem already said. Harder enemies (the hunters are way harder than lickers, lots of packs of dogs, the insect critters), more zombies (and a lot more instances where they come from behind as well as in front of you, or new ones break through the environment in cramped corridors), harder bosses, scarcer healing supplies, way "harder" puzzles, and nemesis. It gets easier after the clock tower stuff tho since you have a huge arsenal by that point, but every classic RE game gets easier towards the end.

I actually think Nemesis is easier than Mr. X. You can always run to his weak hand, whereas Mr. X tends to catch you with the quick hook if you try that.

I actually think Nemesis is easier than Mr. X. You can always run to his weak hand, whereas Mr. X tends to catch you with the quick hook if you try that.

This is crazy talk. Mr. X just walks after you and he can't follow you through rooms. He's pretty much only good for a few jump scares. Nemesis has ranged attacks, is much faster, shows up more often, can follow you pretty far, and when you have to fight him he's a lot harder.

Ralemont

not me
This is crazy talk. Mr. X just walks after you and he can't follow you through rooms. He's pretty much only good for a few jump scares. Nemesis has ranged attacks, is much faster, shows up more often, can follow you pretty far, and when you have to fight him he's a lot harder.

Mr X corners you in that narrow pathway when you see him on the monitor. That's always been a single guaranteed hit trying to get around him for me. Meanwhile, I never get hit by Nemesis, because his encounters tend to be less scripted in a way that puts you in vulnerable positions (by design, since he's supposed to follow you).

I don't remember if I eat a hit from Mr. X then, but it's never an issue. Nemesis is more unpredictable and I screw up somewhere I can take some serious damage from him. And besides, even if you don't want those tasty gun upgrades you are still forced to fight him at a few points in the game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
All I know on the stalker Tyrant debate is I have never been caught by Mr. X even when I blindly played the game, I have been caught by Nemesis.

And though Mr. X's boss fight is maybe the hardest boss fight in RE2 (debatable between that or the second or third William Birkin fight I figure), it isn't nearly as hard as any of the Nemesis boss fights, neither the optional ones or the three required fights with him.

I will say Mr. X has a more terrifying jump scare moment though. However, like many things in RE2, I think he only appears in the beginning and then disappears after that until near the end when you do the boss battle with him.

Pinky

Banned
Incredible game! The two different scenarios with Leon and Claire, the graphics/music, atmosphere, etc... All executed perfectly. And Mr. X! That fucker still gives me nightmares when I think about him.

ScOULaris

Incredible game! The two different scenarios with Leon and Claire, the graphics/music, atmosphere, etc... All executed perfectly. And Mr. X! That fucker still gives me nightmares when I think about him.

You know, I never played either of the B scenarios when I first played RE2 way back in 1998. What are the differences from the A scenarios?

Ralemont

not me
I don't remember if I eat a hit from Mr. X then, but it's never an issue. Nemesis is more unpredictable and I screw up somewhere I can take some serious damage from him. And besides, even if you don't want those tasty gun upgrades you are still forced to fight him at a few points in the game.

I just watched a vid on TY, and apparently it only takes like 4 Acid Rounds to down Mr. X there, and you get 6 Acid Rounds from his body. That'll teach me to try and juke...

Hm. That sounds pretty cool. Definitely gonna check that out after I finish my Leon A run.

Definitely do. A scenario is pretty much only half the game.

I just watched a vid on TY, and apparently it only takes like 4 Acid Rounds to down Mr. X there, and you get 6 Acid Rounds from his body. That'll teach me to try and juke...

Huh I never knew that. Yeah I don't think I've ever even shot him in his non boss form.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You know, I never played either of the B scenarios when I first played RE2 way back in 1998. What are the differences from the A scenarios?

-Different story and many scene changes between A and B scenarios for both Leon and Claire.

-Start off in a completely different area; instead of going to the gunshop, you take a completely different route to the police station and enter the police station not through the front entrance, but through the back (you come through the door where when you try to open it up in the A scenario, zombies come through the door). Get to see some new areas, including the Police Station back parking lot and toll booth.

-Mr. X as a stalker, appears a few times and there's a new boss fight with him before the end of the game.

-Speaking of new boss fights, in the B scenarios is when you face the true final boss, William Birkin's 4th mutation form.

-Item locations are different, puzzle locations are different. You're given different weapons.

There's probably some other differences, but that's off the top of my memory.

You've only played 50% of the game then. The police car from the beginning crashes the other way around. Claire A (Gun shop) Leon B is official canon AFAIK.

Nerrel

You never would have guessed this game had such a troubled development. Everything just feels so perfectly right... it's a miracle they pulled it off so well the second time.

I see your main hall and raise you the marshaling yards second part.
http://youtu.be/fPglVVYl5Lc
This guy gets it. One of my favorite pieces of music from any game, or any thing period.

You've only played 50% of the game then. The police car from the beginning crashes the other way around. Claire A (Gun shop) Leon B is official canon AFAIK.

It's certainly the better, fuller story. I always started with Leon A growing up, so I preferred LeonA-ClaireB from a gameplay perspective, but after going back and playing ClaireA-LeonB it's clear how much better the story is that way. Leon and Ada have a much deeper relationship than Leon's A scenario, where his fondness for her is really just lightly touched on. Leon B goes full on Titanic with the tragic romance plot. It makes much more sense to see Leon so fixated on Ada if you play Leon B. It also fits into the rest of the series better; Sherry mentions Leon saving her life in RE6, but on the A scenario he barely does anything for her.

Mr X corners you in that narrow pathway when you see him on the monitor. That's always been a single guaranteed hit trying to get around him for me. Meanwhile, I never get hit by Nemesis, because his encounters tend to be less scripted in a way that puts you in vulnerable positions (by design, since he's supposed to follow you).

How do you get hit at all by Mr. X?

finley83

Banned
Great thread, with some really thoughful points! I replayed RE2 last year for the first time since 1998 and was struck by just how well it had all dated. Admittedly I was playing the GC version on an SDTV, but still, the backgrounds hold up pretty favourably these days. Also, the music in this game is second to none, and hearing the Police Station and Save Room themes brought my teenage experiences flooding back.

Really looking forward to the remake, hopefully they can do it justice.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely the best RE and my second favourite game. I've got it in various releases, and I keep it permanently installed on my Vita.
I'm always trying to beat my speed-run record every time. The fastest I could do was 2:20 mins.
I'll try to do it in less than an hour and a half.

They're shorter, you face Mr. X, find the police chief, and there are some different rooms you go through
Now I really need to continue and play Leon B, as I'm done with Claire A and have the save still on my Vita!

Nice, I'm halfway on the right track then. Did not know about this! Leon B next!

Nerrel

Nice, I'm halfway on the right track then. Did not know about this! Leon B next!

The B scenario will certainly have some surprises for you. You're not done by a longshot.

The only problem with this system is that so many doors had to be unlocked over or puzzles had to be repeated on the B game. This is something I hope they aggressively change in the remake; it would be nice if everything were totally realistic and everything you did in the A scenario was still done in B. They would have to craft some new puzzles to keep B interesting, but I wouldn't even care if they omitted two scenarios in order to focus one A-B set (Claire to Leon). I'd rather have two great scenarios with no filler than 4 with constant repetition.

ScOULaris

Played a little more into Leon's A Scenario tonight. Poor Leon's welcoming party had to be cancelled on account of all the zombies and such.

mIDDHhUh.jpg

Sorry for the shit quality cell phone pics of my Vita.

As of right now I've got a comfortable stash of ammo and ink ribbons and more puzzle items/keys than I know what to do with. Feels good.

RootCause

The beta for RE3. :p
Joke aside. It's a fantastic game, and even though RE3 was the better game. It had much better music. I still remember the part with the big ass lickers. I dunno how terrifying the remake is going to be, but the lights will be on. :p

The B scenario will certainly have some surprises for you. You're not done by a longshot.

The only problem with this system is that so many doors had to be unlocked over or puzzles had to be repeated on the B game. This is something I hope they aggressively change in the remake; it would be nice if everything were totally realistic and everything you did in the A scenario was still done in B. They would have to craft some new puzzles to keep B interesting, but I wouldn't even care if they omitted two scenarios in order to focus one A-B set (Claire to Leon). I'd rather have two great scenarios with no filler than 4 with constant repetition.

Totally agree, they could make more areas unique for each playthrough too, simply not accessible with the other character.

Nerrel

The beta for RE3. :p
Joke aside. It's a fantastic game, and even though RE3 was the better game. It had much better music. I still remember the part with the big ass lickers. I dunno how terrifying the remake is going to be, but the lights will be on. :p

I think RE3 is more fun to replay, but there's something about it that doesn't feel quite right. It's a little more arbitrary in terms of how things play out and the choice system isn't always that compelling. It's also more linear and sprawling across a large space instead of being in one tightly designed building, which is part of why it's faster paced and fun but also part of why it's not as memorable. There really isn't any location in RE3 that stands out like the mansion and police department did; it's just a bunch of random streets and single-room buildings. The story is also not quite as interesting; Jill and Carlos don't have nearly as much development as Leon and Ada did.

I love both, but RE2 is the more solid and coherent game. RE3 doesn't have the same depth; it's a little like New Super Luigi U, a game that has fun experimenting with and altering the previous one. It's an action oriented spin on the same idea- less backtracking, more combat, more explosions. It was a step towards modern RE while still being real survival horror.

ScOULaris

Just finished Leon's A scenario last night. Fantastic game right through to the end. While I felt that the game veered away from the survival element a bit too much into "solving the mystery" territory near the end, it still managed to keep the tension up with increasingly dangerous enemies.

But damnit, I should've played Claire's A first! I didn't realize that completing Leon's A unlocked Claire's B and vice versa. I wanted to play Leon's B because it's supposedly canon and quite different from his A scenario, but now I'd have to play all the way through Claire's A campaign to do so. I started her A scenario, but it's just too similar to warrant me playing through it so soon after completing Leon's A. I'll probably come back to it one day.

But for now, I have other plans... on to Resident Evil 3. It was the only classic RE that I never played, so I'm gonna keep this train rollin'. Stay tuned for my RTTP RE3 thread once I've started it.

RangerX

Banned
The game is a masterpiece of the highest order and in my top 10 games of all time. Mr X scared the shite out of me when I was a kid.

ScOULaris

I'm going through Zero at the moment but this thread is making me want to stop and start up RE2 instead.

Hah. I decided to play RE2 because the remaster of RE0 got me in the mood for classic RE but looked to be too mediocre of a game to properly satisfy that craving.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Also playing this game right now. It's so fucking good. Almost completed Claire A in one go.

Remember how dumbfolded I was back in 98 when I realized that after I complete one playthrough I can play with the other character from the other side of the car with a completely own story.

I mean, I should have know given how short the first playthrough is but I was a stupid kid back then so.... It was so great. Like I got one additional RE game I didn't expect.

Really hope they expand on that concept in the Remake. Like making each playthrough longer and each playthrough completely complement the other (in the original there are some riddles you have to do with both characters).

PLEASE DON'T SCREW THIS UP CAPCOM.

I hope the RE2make has some material that was in Resident Evil 1.5. I was so obsessed with Resident Evil 2 that i wanted to play Resident Evil 1.5 so bad.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm not SO in love with chapter 2 as many other fans (I really really liked it, but to me it addeed just a location change to the first episode, with few narrative background and zero gameplay new elements), but if RE2 Remake will be to RE2 what RERemake was for the first episode, we are in for a great product.

Oreoleo

Not much to add here. I played RE2 for the first time 2 or so years ago and it holds up impeccably well. It's been a while since I've played REmake so I can't say for certain but RE2 might be my favorite RE game.

I wouldn't mind for the REmake 2 to have the modern police station design that 1.5 had. I think it would be more creepy. Also add in those fat cop zombies that they cut.

One thing I hope for is that they should expand on Mr X stalking you. Make it more like Nemessis and make him more of a threat since his encounters in RE2 are such a pushover until he reaches his final form.

Top Bottom