• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q2 beats expectations: Net Income of $6.3 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
· Revenue was $23.8 billion GAAP, and $25.7 billion non-GAAP
· Operating income was $6.0 billion GAAP, and $7.9 billion non-GAAP
· Net income was $5.0 billion GAAP, and $6.3 billion non-GAAP
· Earnings per share was $0.62 GAAP, and $0.78 non-GAAP

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/28/10858474/microsoft-earnings-report-q2-2016

Microsoft has published its Q2 fiscal 2016 earnings report, and the company has made $6.3 billion in net income on $25.7 billion in revenue. While Microsoft continues to experience a weak phone offering, Surface is looking for good for the company alongside its impressive cloud and server growth. Microsoft continues to move away from relying on Windows for money, but its cloud and server offerings are helping to balance its revenue losses with Windows.

Surface revenue dipped last quarter, and this time it's up year-over-year by 29 percent to $1.35 billion. Microsoft says Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 helped push overall Surface revenues. At the same time, Microsoft's Windows Phone revenue continues to slide, falling 49 percent year over year. Microsoft may have launched the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL recently, but the company is significantly altering its phone efforts and the amount of devices it brings to market. Microsoft only sold 4.5 million Lumia phones in the recent quarter, compared to the 10.5 million sold last year. It's a clear sign of the fate of Windows Phone.

On the gaming side, Microsoft notes that Xbox Live monthly active users grew 30 percent year-over-year to 48 million. However, Xbox hardware revenue declined because of lower volumes of Xbox 360 sales. That's to be expected with sales shifting over to the Xbox One, but Microsoft isn't revealing exactly how many next-gen consoles it sold in the recent quarter.

Once again, Microsoft's commercial products and cloud services are growing. Office 365 revenue grew 70 percent, while Office 365 consumer subscribers increased to 20.6 million in the latest quarter. It's the latest sign that consumers and businesses continue to subscribe to Microsoft's cloud-based version of Office. Microsoft's server products and cloud services revenue grew 10 percent this quarter, alongside a big Azure revenue increase of 140 percent.

M52B28

Banned
Microsoft is doing a great job, even if their smart phones aren't doing well.

Once their app store is situated, they will have something great on their hands.

Their latest lineup of Lumia phones is pretty great, especially for the price, but I'm afraid that Microsoft if trying to keep them cheap for the general consumer. It's great on one hand, but what really gets a company name out is through making boutique products.

I want them to make some kind of obscure Lumia to make a statement that they are capable of much more in the mobile space.

Great! I'm a big fan of my Xbone, SP4, and Band 2. Revisiting the MS mothership has been a good experience so far. Hopefully they can keep this pace up.

I wonder when they give up on windows phone. The bomba of all bombas. I guess the surface phone is the last ditch effort though that doesn't solve any of its problems and will flop as well.

Pretty expected. Everything either bombing or sliding but cloud and server and other services like office 365 are keeping the money coming in. Definitely the right pivot to make.

When MS get their app game up to scratch, that's when they'll see Windows Phone start to grow.

I know more than a few people who love the look of the phone, love using them when they find someone who has one but can't get past the lack of apps they are used to on iOS and Android.

wachie

Apple, Microsoft, Xiaomi, Amazon - all have incredible growth in their services. Slowly but surely they are all moving in the same direction.

gamz

I wonder when they give up on windows phone. The bomba of all bombas. I guess the surface phone is the last ditch effort though that doesn't solve any of its problems and will flop as well.

They could just never gain traction. Fucked up quite a bit on updating the OS and they took to fucking long to come out with a high end phone.

gamz

When MS get their app game up to scratch, that's when they'll see Windows Phone start to grow.

I know more than a few people who love the look of the phone, love using them when they find someone who has one but can't get past the lack of apps they are used to on iOS and Android.

I'm a fan! Give me a high end surface phone and I'm dropping Android like yesterday!

M52B28

Banned
I really, really don't think this is going to happen.
How so?

Although it hasn't happened in the years of smartphone marketplaces being around, they have expressed interest in ways to bring app API and coding from other ecosystems to Windows. It will happen, but only in the interest of time.

Once it does, they will be in a great place, especially considering the compatibility that Windows phones have with Windows computers.

And to be honest, the Windows phone has the basics for social media and general apps.

How so?

Although it hasn't happened in the years of smartphone marketplaces being around, they have expressed interest in ways to bring app API and coding from other ecosystems to Windows. It will happen, but only in the interest of time.

Once it does, they will be in a great place, especially considering the compatibility that Windows phones have with Windows computers.

And to be honest, the Windows phone has the basics for social media and general apps.
one word: blackberry

they did all this already and it failed miserably. From making it easier to develop apps to outright letting their devices run android apps. The people have spoken on the case of windows phone. They just don't see the appeal. It's a two fold thing when it comes to convincing customers:

1) Is it appealing on its own (as of now it's not, clearly, but lets say this is salvagable....it will NEVER solve number 2
2) Is it so damn appealing and different from iphone (and android I guess) that people will drop their current devices to get it? (imo this one is not salvagable)

Lovin my Surface Pro 4 to bits, as a student I literally can't live without it. Absolutely bonkers net income though, the cloud and 365 are really raking it in.

akira28

Did they not just play conservative with their estimates and smart with their investments, because they changed heads and everything?

Blackhead

Redarse

they did all this already and it failed miserably. From making it easier to develop apps to outright letting their devices run android apps. The people have spoken on the case of windows phone. They just don't see the appeal. It's a two fold thing when it comes to convincing customers:

1) Is it appealing on its own (as of now it's not, clearly, but lets say this is salvagable....it will NEVER solve number 2
2) Is it so damn appealing and different from iphone (and android I guess) that people will drop their current devices to get it? (imo this one is not salvagable)

You could have said the same thing about the Mac a decade or so ago — just because Apple had no chance uprooting Windows did not mean that they should have abandoned the Mac and focused only on iPods. Microsoft can survive with ~10% of smartphone marketshare which will keep their foot in the door until the next big category arrives.

Azih

The problem with MS and phones is that they just haven't settled on a strategy that they're willing to push long term. If they do and it still fails then well.. they still might keep their hat in the ring because they have the money to do so and it's a reasonable strategy to keep Windows relevant.

Be a long term strategy I mean that they keep upending the Windows ecosystem for phones.

Windows phone 7! Oh no wait
Windows phone 8! Nah, no good, let's try
Windows phone 8.1 on Nokia Lumia! No no no let's buy Nokia and wait a year while that whole thing goes through...
Windows phone 8.1 on Microsoft Lumia! Oh forget Windows 8. Let's now wait for Windows 10.
Windows phone 10 on Microsoft Lumia? Blah junk that. Wait for Panos Panay Surface Jesus Phone. Really this time!

That's no way to build traction.

You could have said the same thing about the Mac a decade or so ago — just because Apple had no chance uprooting Windows did not mean that they should have abandoned the Mac and focused only on iPods. Microsoft can survive with ~10% of smartphone marketshare which will keep their foot in the door until the next big category arrives.
But mac differentiated itself BIG TIME from the competition, and it was in ways that customers responded to and still respond to when it comes to their devices. OS X is completely different in the way it operates. The hardware was also very unique before everyone started aping every new apple computer.

gamz

Their phones are probably 2-3% now. I'm a fan but I'm not so sure they can turn that corner.

Vestal

Gold Member

If Microsoft is able to port over IOS apps with ease(they are working on this) and Universal Apps takes off, then they have a chance.

gamz

But mac differentiated itself BIG TIME from the competition, and it was in ways that customers responded to and still respond to when it comes to their devices. OS X is completely different in the way it operates. The hardware was also very unique before everyone started aping every new apple computer.

But their phone OS is very different from IOS and Android. I just think it was late to the game.

If Microsoft is able to port over IOS apps with ease(they are working on this) and Universal Apps takes off, then they have a chance.
why on earth would people switch entire ecosystems when they already have those apps on their iphone?

But their phone OS is very different from IOS and Android. I just think it was late to the game.
Well that's why my second part is key, it definitely looks different but it's clearly not different in a way people are responding to.

I think people are four loco if they think the average customer is going to their local phone provider and saying "hmm I'd get a windows phone if the app ecosystem was better". They don't even consider it. And I personally don't think there's anything MS can do to get people to consider it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Office365 and the Cloud are killing it.

Surface is doing very, very well.
its getting very hard to argue against office 365. we just dont move cause on prem exchange 2010 just continues doing its thing.

Azih

If MS can do it with Surface then there is hope for them in phones. Really I'm not down on a company that's profitable and is willing to spend that money on incredibly smart people.

Alienfan

Microsoft's transition to focusing on android apps is very telling of where Windows Phone is heading.

Also, just out of curiosity, is the Surface profitable for Microsoft?

Blackhead

Redarse
So is Windows Phone. It has its fans. Just being controlled by Microsoft is an important enough differentiator. A decade ago many people were concerned that Mac switching from PPC to Intel would make it too similar to Windows computers. These issues are always overblown
Their phones are probably 2-3% now. I'm a fan but I'm not so sure they can turn that corner.
2-3% globally but the have decent marketshare in Europe and South America. The point is they don't need to turn the corner really, smartphones are not microsoft's core business similar to how cloud services aren't Apple's core business. They still need to offer something for their fans which they can eventually use to bootstrap for the next big thing that comes along.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Pretty bad numbers, 3 billion less revenue than a year ago despite Surface and Xbox and Cloud being up YOY. They are feeling that Windows 10 for free effect. But in half a year they can start selling that again. It's especially painful because that is pure profit. Also means that the majority of those 1.9 billion deferred revenue came from Halo 5.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Microhard killing it and they've barely scratched the Surface 💸💸💰💰😎🖕🏿🖕🏿🖕🏿

Microsoft is roughly 2.5% of the S&P 500, and many of our retirement portfolios are going to be geared heavily towards this particular index (if following a total market approach), so this is where we say in unison....

Hurray, Microsoft!

Ray Down

Banned
Microhard killing it and they've barely scratched the Surface 💸💸💰💰😎🖕🏿🖕🏿🖕🏿

188005_114107508675453_1205033_n.jpg

Enco

Surface doing work, Windows Phone not so much. Tome for Surface Phone!
The app store has been garbage since day 1.

Unless something radically changes, it will be a long time before WP is competitive.

Their OS is nowhere near iOS/Android too. Literally don't see any advantage to using a WP phone.

But yea, the Surface and Office365 stuff is amazing. Win10 has also been an awesome update.

gamz

Pretty bad numbers, 3 billion less revenue than a year ago despite Surface and Xbox and Cloud being up YOY. They are feeling that Windows 10 for free effect. But in half a year they can start selling that again. It's especially painful because that is pure profit. Also means that the majority of those 1.9 billion deferred revenue came from Halo 5.

Sure, but they changed the whole company on the fly. It's impressive that a company this size could change its course and now it's full speed ahead. The cloud is their future and yoh are seeing the results.

Majine

Banned
Office 365 seems like such a ripoff when Google and Apple's respective suites are free. I know, Office has extra bells and whistles but fuck...

Tugatrix

What can I say I have surface pro 3 and I am a pleased customer, happy to return when the time comes to replace my surface

gamz

The app store has been garbage since day 1.

Unless something radically changes, it will be a long time before WP is competitive.

Their OS is nowhere near iOS/Android too. Literally don't see any advantage to using a WP phone.

But yea, the Surface and Office365 stuff is amazing. Win10 has also been an awesome update.

Have you ever owned a windows phone? Tiles is really unique and i miss them.

gcubed

Have you ever owned a windows phone? Tiles is really unique and i miss them.

chicken and the egg... i'm sure (i would) switch and try it out if their app selection wasn't pure shit. Their app selection would be better if more people switched.

How do you do the first without the second?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom