• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archive of Firaxis' XCOM 2 modding panel from PAX South

http://www.twitch.tv/pax2/v/38694034

starts at 02:20:00

posts from the other thread

Leader class with the "official" mods.

XsJ6Wr0.jpg

Also, these mod tools are dope as fuck.

PAX Modding Panel notes:
-Long War mod had contributors from every continent except Antarctica.
-Long War modding relied heavily on hex editing, then custom dev tool.
-Firaxis was aware of demo modding, legal team didn't let them give Long War script source.
-LWS and Firaxis got together super early, LWS had to sign NDA (before XCOM2 reveal?).
-LWS pitched 3 mods, free, on Steam Workshop on release date.
-LWS got lots of access to the game & builds, gave input on how to make the game more moddable.
-LWS mod 1: modded weapons - SMGs, can be used by AR using soldiers, models made by art school grad, give mobility bonus, make soldiers harder to detect
-LWS mod 2: modded enemies - Muton centurion (looks like krogan), leader, has new skills to buff/assist enemies, comes in later in the game
-AI can be modded, classes, skills
-LWS mod 3: new class - Leader soldier, can be obtained via Guerilla Tactics School, goes on top of class skill set, skills help other soldiers, only one leader per mission in most cases
-LWS doesn't know what the limits are for modding
-Multiple levels of mod functionality
-XCOM ModBuddy is the mod program we're going to use
-You can give Bradford's gun to people if you mod it into the game, might have suppression ability
-LWS mods have been localized into 10 languages
-XCOM ModBuddy has multiple ways to distribute mods (Steam, Zip files)
-XCOM 2 editor has tons of content, none of the game content can be used in it.
-There are packages dedicated to character customization.
-7000 props provided for map creation
-Particle effects can be edited
-2400 maps in XCOM 2, including cinematic maps, rooms in the Avenger
-Recommended beginning mods are simple
-Assets: 1900+ script files, 2400+ maps, 7000+ environments, 4000+ materials, 10,000+ textures, 2000+ sounds, 3000+ particle systems, 600+ character assets, 600+ animation sets
-Animals are particle effects
-Mod templates included
-Dev mode will be unlocked for modders: dev console via SDK, map debugger, LOS debuggers, fog of war debugger, marketing mode (no UI/icons, free camera movement)
-Firaxis used mod tools to solve bugs
-Hot seat mode allows you to control everything
-Replay mode comes with stock game, lets you replay events from your saves, works with SDK
-Modders can mod multiplayer, multiplayer supports more stuff from singleplayer
-3 types of maps: plots, parcels, PCPs
-Plots tell game where to load things, changing plot layouts creates new levels
-Parcels: small, medium, large, contain structures and are complicated to make
-PCPs (plot cover parcels): handle cover on roads
-Some missions are restricted to some plot types to ensure variety
-Plots are designed to contrast with each other
-Maps can be switched between biomes on the fly in the mod tools/game(?)
-XCOM 2's real time lighting means that you can make time based equipment
-Tactical Quick Launch mode is debug mode that can serve as skirmish mode (build maps, pick your soldiers, set the enemy forces)
-SDK documentation included
-XCOM 2 intro revealed officially
-Launch Gatecrasher is the trailer bit where the woman blows up the ADVENT truck

edit:

Quoting myself from another thread, an 18 min interview/vid with long war studios guy and Jake Solomon about mods presumably.
The XCOM 2 mods that you can play from day one

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sounds good. Also funny this is coming on the heels of the CS:GO fiasco. In any case, if you're able to control everything in "debug" mode, that'll be awesome for machinima people.

Tagyhag

The Long War 2 mod is going to be fucking insane. I can't wait.

The recent talks about Denuvo for PC gaming made me realize that if XCOM 2 used it, we would never get any mods like that for it.

Nete

For anyone interested on it, they have also shown the cinematic intro. Starts around the 3:18:50 mark.

Plenty of really interesting stuff before, tho.

FiraB

Banned
The "advent" of mod support will make this game last ages, wonder who is gonna be the first to remake original or terror from the deep because it looks easily capable of reproducing both with a bit of work. That freecam and record capture mode though, thats the stuff of legends for content creators and I know I always want better shots in my videos and now I can just edit in one with a little voodoo magic, gonna make death scenes in legendary awesome.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I hope someone will make a total conversion mod where you play a special untis ADVENT/alien team which has to find and exterminate the pesky XCOM.

The "advent" of mod support will make this game last ages, wonder who is gonna be the first to remake original or terror from the deep because it looks easily capable of reproducing both with a bit of work.

Please don't.

I can't afford to lose my job

Deciding which gameplay mods to use or which will break your game is gonna be a nightmare.

#alienworldproblems

yeah.... more options is always nice but at least I trust the LWS ones since they worked directly with Firaxis. Honestly probably not gonna install many gameplay mods other than "official" ones.

Sblargh

Banned
Oh god replay.
Yes replay.
I love all games that have a replay feature.
I spent more time seeing my own replays on SC2 than learning how to play the game.
Ooohhh replay. I don't know why I love it so much, but it just... like, you have a hell of a battle, all stressed out, you have this one brilliant idea or move that changes everything in your favor.
And it's there.
You can watch afterwards without the stress, knowing the end and just... bask on your own glory.
Hmmm, love it.

Oh god replay.
Yes replay.
I love all games that have a replay feature.
I spent more time seeing my own replays on SC2 than learning how to play the game.
Ooohhh replay. I don't know why I love it so much, but it just... like, you have a hell of a battle, all stressed out, you have this one brilliant idea or move that changes everything in your favor.
And it's there.
You can watch afterwards without the stress, knowing the end and just... bask on your own glory.
Hmmm, love it.

Replays of long Dawn of War/Winter Assault games from lan parties in college were really something for me.

Mod in co-op where we each control a seperate cell. Multiple bases mode a la red alert 3, which also would work well with the whole mobile/guerilla cells them they have going for this one.

This I want more than anything else.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Talk about understanding the platform you are on, damn firaxis. Deluxe version already pre-ordered, im at Dark Souls levels of hype (thats the highest level for me lol).

Kinda wish I had played long war, oh well Ill play long war 2 for sure

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I can see why this game didn't launch with PS4 and X1. This game was built with b the PC in mind And I love it!

Rosur

Custom animations alone is going to make for some great machinima.

Yea along with that free camera mode.

Really looking forward to see what total conversions people end up doing with this game. Also any idea on how much the main base can be modded?

kinda off-topic but I just looked at the specs again and felt like I got hit with a punch to the gut

I'm running a 930m, i7 CPU @2.4ghz, windows 10 64 bit with dx11 enabled and 8gb of RAM. Do I even have a shot at running this?

aeolist

Banned
kinda off-topic but I just looked at the specs again and felt like I got hit with a punch to the gut

I'm running a 930m, i7 CPU @2.4ghz, windows 10 64 bit with dx11 enabled and 8gb of RAM. Do I even have a shot at running this?

that's well above min spec

Top Bottom