• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blackbox | Your phone is the puzzle (abstract Warioware-esque iOS puzzler) [goty?]

http://blackboxpuzzles.com/
Free, IAP for hints and optional level packs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KErQdQQq5Pg
https://medium.com/@warpling/blackbox-e7ea50ac9170?ref=blackboxpuzzles.com#.4g0t5zvym

RYwAsdY.gif
NL3yJQ6.gif

Blackbox is a tribute to being different. Explore over 50 unique puzzles where finger swipes mean nothing. Use visual cues to expand your creative thinking and solve puzzles by turning, shouting, clicking, snapping, and traveling while discovering secrets along the way…

BEAUTIFULLY CLEVER
- With ample satisfying "ah hah!" moments and puzzles as artful and clever as they are challenging, Blackbox is as delightful to play as it is to look at and hold.

SURPRISES
- Frustrating, fun, and full of surprises… There’s more to Blackbox than meets the eye. Can you find all the meta challenges?

HINTS
- Every challenge has been tuned to be on the cusp of maddening but always solvable. Some challenges take time, perseverance, and perspective to understand, but if you’re really stumped rest assured there are hints. To enjoy the game to it’s fullest, only use them as a last resort!

WORMHOLE (3D TOUCH)
- Since challenges are solved without touch, touching anywhere brings up a unique wormhole menu to go back to the grid. On devices with 3D Touch this wormhole is pressure sensitive!

jC6Kiab.png

TI82

Banned
Always disappointing when these games come to IOS but don't mention Android. Hopefully it comes over since it looks great.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It wouldn't be possible on android unfortunately

That's not exactly true. A few of the puzzles would have to be tweaked for iOS/Android specific features, and obviously hardware/sensor discrepancies will make a port that much harder, but the dev is not saying it's impossible:

m7gsKzB.png

TI82

Banned
It wouldn't be possible on android unfortunately

Yeah seems that way with the lack of 3D Touch. I'm sure someone could make fun esoteric puzzles for an Android though. Maybe I should >:3

Edit: Just saw the dev response, cool !

Yeah seems that way with the lack of 3D Touch. I'm sure someone could make fun esoteric puzzles for an Android though. Maybe I should >:3
The 3D touch feature is optional, and doesnt involve any puzzles. You can solve every puzzle without touching the screen

Afrodium

Banned
This is cool. I've managed to figure out most of the gimmicks pretty quickly though and now it wants me to buy the advanced pack. There's still a few lights I can't get yet.

This reminds me of weird browser puzzles I used to play where you would have to edit the URL and find hints in the source code to progress.

Dryk

How is the first orange square* supposed to be done. I lit it but I can't replicate it doing anything I did when it lit.

the one that isn't max volume, min volume or headphones

Dryk

I figured out that the dark green puzzle
resets every 12 hours
. Jeeeeez.

Mute switch on the side
I'm using an iPod Touch I don't have that button :S and yet I solved the puzzle anyway... somehow... The orange bar at the side shows up seemingly randomly and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the puzzle solution. I guess I'll never know how I did it XD
. I sent a tweet to the developer asking if I can expect to run into anymore hardware-related problems.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
pretty much done the main game, it's super fun. played with my wife at the same time. our house looked like a looney bin as we jumped on furniture, made noises, etc.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Couldn't figure out one of the remaining puzzles so for some inspirations I went for a good long drive. Not long enough, apparently, because I still couldn't figure it out.

This is cool. I've managed to figure out most of the gimmicks pretty quickly though and now it wants me to buy the advanced pack. There's still a few lights I can't get yet.

You absolutely want to buy the advanced pack.

BTA

Spent a couple hours with a friend earlier in the week figuring out most of it and then we ended up helping another few friends (and now my family) at times. Anything I haven't solved I do know the solution for, at least, and I'm looking forward to getting those done very soon.

It'll be neat to see what other paid packs come out though I hope some of the puzzles have less of an execution barrier; it's a good thing that
the friend I was solving things with is talented enough to be able to hum those notes, since I would have had to go digging on YouTube or something otherwise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My wife is one of the first people to 100% complete the game (game spoiler)
and it only took her a cross country flight to do it
. GOTY so far.

It'll be neat to see what other paid packs come out though I hope some of the puzzles have less of an execution barrier; it's a good thing that
the friend I was solving things with is talented enough to be able to hum those notes, since I would have had to go digging on YouTube or something otherwise.

(spoilers for advanced puzzle DLC)
I used a
tone generator and kept the volume high and just slowly increased the pitch.

Syn23

Update released today.
But I can't do the new challenges since I'm stuck on the last light blue one. : /

Top Bottom