• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2016 | It's app-me, Mario

Voidance

I'm contemplating buying Crashland since TouchArcade awarded it GOTY 2016, although it seems like it was based more on the backstory than the game itself.
That was my impression from the article as well. I didn't really care for the game when I played it and wouldn't recommend it, personally.

awp69

Crashlands was fun for a while but not even in my top 10 for the year. I do actually prefer it over something like Don't Starve because I enjoy the streamlined crafting and other stuff that bores me to tears in these type of games.

Steppy Pants is one of the few mobile games of that kind that I've actually returned to and played a lot of over the last year or so, so it's pretty frustrating that they've suddenly implemented automatic, unskippable commercials. I used to always throw them a few bucks for the packs of holiday-specific costumes - and for that matter, I'd occasionally opt into watching an ad to get a few coins - but I can't say I'll feel very compelled to watch ads or give them money when the ads are forced on me. Shame.

Pachimari

Hmm, I'm thinking of selling my iPad Pro 9.7 128gb device and maybe buy the 256gb one next year. It's getting annoying deleting apps all the time now.

Just bought Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. Got the whole series on iPad, I should probably play through it.
Also bought Steamworld Heist, cause you guys keep saying it plays really well on a touch device.

awp69

Steamworld Heist and Severed just went on sale. Although not a huge discount.

Severed is $3.99 from $6.99, I'd say that's a good discount.

Le Parker is down to $.99 from $2.99 as well. Great, challenging platformer (I'd argue better than SMR personally, but it is a standard platformer and not a runner).

My friend jusy bought an iPad air 2 last week. Giving him a 40$ gift card. He never had iOS until now. What would you say I absolutely should make him buy? Consider what's on sale etc.

DagsJT

My friend jusy bought an iPad air 2 last week. Giving him a 40$ gift card. He never had iOS until now. What would you say I absolutely should make him buy? Consider what's on sale etc.

Wouldn't it have been easier to gift them specific games rather than buy a gift card if you're going to try to make him buy specific games?

Wouldn't it have been easier to gift them specific games rather than buy a gift card if you're going to try to make him buy specific games?
Easier to do this since I can just buy on his iPad for him instead of gifting so many times and typing the email address etc

okno

Ehmmm, think you are reading WAY too much into what he's asking. The question is just, "my friend has a new iPad, I gave him $40 to be able to get a bunch of stuff to enjoy, what are some of the 'must haves'?" Basically, he's just as naive as his friend, what's hot right now.

Anywho, to better help answer the question: what kind of stuff is he into? Is he a gamer? Does he gravitate towards a specific genre?

Daigoro

can you gift games to people from the apple store?

edit: just googled it. did not know that. cool!

Ehmmm, think you are reading WAY too much into what he's asking. The question is just, "my friend has a new iPad, I gave him $40 to be able to get a bunch of stuff to enjoy, what are some of the 'must haves'?" Basically, he's just as naive as his friend, what's hot right now.

Anywho, to better help answer the question: what kind of stuff is he into? Is he a gamer? Does he gravitate towards a specific genre?

I mean I know what I like and what is great on iOS but he's just into casual shit and doesn't want to spend much on games right now. So I decided to give him some itunes credit to buy stuff. Just wanted to know what are some essentials I probably forgot like Infinty Blade 2 (something he mentioned).

Anyway its taken care of for now.

mid83

How are Telltale games on iOS? I played Walking Dead season 1 on PC but haven't jumped into the more recent titles (WD season 2, minecraft, borderlands. GoT, Batman). I don't find a lot of time to play on PC these days, so I'm thinking of grabbing the titles on iOS assuming the ports aren't awful.

Also, are there cloud saves so I can jump between my iPad and iPhone?

NeoRaider

^ Many ppl are saying that newer games look blurry, because of the lower resolution i guess and that they have performance issues like fps drops and stuttering.

mid83

^ Many ppl are saying that newer games look blurry, because of the lower resolution i guess and that they have performance issues like fps drops and stuttering.

Eh that's not promising. Anybody want to let me know which ones to avoid on iOS?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are there any non-freemium sim games like The Sims? I have the original 3 Sims games that's EA put out a while ago, but I'm looking for something a little more updated.

PittaGAF

Despite having owned it since I think day one but for some reasons never really played it, I'm playing Implosion and finally it seems it clicked with me.
Inventory is unnecessary cluttered and unintuitive imho (took me forever to figure out how to use the implants) but the game and the story are cool.

I decided to buy the telltale batman game in iOS - it looks and runs ok on my i7+ but the audio quality for literally anything that isn't main dialogue sounds like shiiiit. So compressed. :/

NeoRaider

In the app, it's still showing as $9.99

And bought

How is Lost Frontier? Comparable to Warbits? Considering picking it up at 99 cents.

No, only the first episode. The rest of them are down to $9.99 from $14.99.

I'm seeing all of the episodes listed as being free in the App Store's list of "top in-app purchases" but when I try to play the second episode it's asking me to buy it.

My source is toucharcade, and they say that all episodes are free. Maybe it needs some time for all the episodes to show as free?

Finally finished Sorcery 2!. This series freaking great.

The second was even crazier than the first but man I had to time loop and rewind a hell a lot of times to find all the spell lines, kind of tuckered myself out of the second game. Regardless now on to Sorcery 3!

So ranking them from best to worst where would you place them?

Finally finished Sorcery 2!. This series freaking great.

The second was even crazier than the first but man I had to time loop and rewind a hell a lot of times to find all the spell lines, kind of tuckered myself out of the second game. Regardless now on to Sorcery 3!

So ranking them from best to worst where would you place them?
You ain't seen nothing yet. Sorcery 3 has an even bigger scope and Sorcery 4 has even more elements and branching mechanics

awp69

No, only the first episode. The rest of them are down to $9.99 from $14.99.

I'm seeing all of the episodes listed as being free in the App Store's list of "top in-app purchases" but when I try to play the second episode it's asking me to buy it.

My source is toucharcade, and they say that all episodes are free. Maybe it needs some time for all the episodes to show as free?

I got the season pass long ago when it was on sale for $.99 (think it was a pricing mistake). Never finished it because it's so damn big with each episode -- and unless it changed recently you couldn't delete old ones. Think I read somewhere that it was like over 8 gigs now with all the episodes.

Anyway, I couldn't tell you since I already own it, but looking at the App Store, it strangely looks like the individual episodes are free but the season pass is $9.99. Also can't remember if you can buy each episode individually in advance -- otherwise you may need a speed play through to get them all free before the sale is over.

Pachimari

I'm glad to see Shipwrecked on iOS and it's certainly a surprise but I think I'm gonna opt for the Steam version at this time. I wonder how it released during the freeze. If it is a case of Apple forgetting to release it earlier or if there's really no hard freeze.

killercow

I'm glad to see Shipwrecked on iOS and it's certainly a surprise but I think I'm gonna opt for the Steam version at this time. I wonder how it released during the freeze. If it is a case of Apple forgetting to release it earlier or if there's really no hard freeze.

During the Freeze you cannot submit an app or an update but you can still schedule to release an app/update that was approved before. The danger is that Apple may not change its featured apps during the freeze.

okno

What's this? Looked up Shipwrecked and just found a bunch of freemium town builders.

awp69

What's this? Looked up Shipwrecked and just found a bunch of freemium town builders.

Don't Starve Shipwrecked - a standalone game based on the original survival game. These games aren't up my alley. The much more streamlined and arcady Crashlands is about as far as I go into that genre.

UFO

Banned
How do Dont Starve and Crashlands play on mobile? I really liked DS on steam but it seems a little to hard to play on a iPhone.

Pachimari

Dragon Auest VIII has dropped in price from $159 > $119.

[edit] Eh, all of these awards at Touch Arcade made me buy Crashlands.

Top Bottom