• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

sLF4BsK.jpg

While this is a big month for superhero movies and shows, here's some notable releases in the big world of comic books:
SgbIrjD.png

YH2CMcY.jpg

Black Widow #1 by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee (Mar. 2nd) - Natasha has spent years gathering secrets, and when some of the darkest ones begin mysteriously going public, no one is safe. With her betrayed former confederates at S.H.I.E.L.D. on her heels and a lifetime of training and ingenuity at her disposal, Natasha's out for answers in a knock-down-drag-out tale of action and espionage!
Mockingbird #1 by Chelsea Cain and Kate Niemczyk (Mar. 9th) - Bobbi Morse is Mockingbird, S.H.I.E.L.D.'s most versatile, most in-demand agent!
But a string of missions gone wrong indicate that something strange is lurking within S.H.I.E.L.D.'s own medical and recovery network. How far will Mockingbird have to go in order to solve this puzzle box and get to the truth?
International Iron Man #1 by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev (Mar. 16th) - Who is Tony Stark, really? Since learning that he was adopted as a baby, this question has cast a shadow over Stark's life. Now, it is time to uncover what his legacy truly is, a journey that will carry Tony into new directions as a man and as a super hero.

qaugsEU.png

BKN0DZy.jpg

Batman #50 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (Mar. 23rd) - Batman has returned to Gotham City! In this extra-sized conclusion to Snyder and Capullo’s epic story “Superheavy,” Bruce Wayne returns to the cape and cowl to battle Mr. Bloom alongside Jim Gordon for the fate of the city they both love.
Legends of Tomorrow #1 by multiple creators (Mar. 9th) - A new anthology series featuring stories of Firestorm, Metamorpho, Metal Men, and Sugar and Spike!
Batgirl #50 by Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, and Babs Tarr (Mar. 30th) - It’s the explosive conclusion of the epic that changed Barbara Gordon forever! The enemy lurking at the edges of Batgirl’s life has been revealed, as have the gang of heroes assembled to help her! From this point on, Batgirl doesn’t walk alone!

Pj1YPNh.png

dG0m8U7.jpg

Black Science #21 by Rick Remender, Mateo Scalera, and Moreno Denisio (Mar. 2nd) - Grant comes to rescue his daughter but she’s not daddy’s little girl anymore. All hail the Godqueen!
The Discipline #1 by Peter Milligan (IN 2016) and Leandro Fernandez (Mar. 2nd) - Between fighting her sister and hating her husband, Melissa still finds time to fall in lust with a stranger who's an awful lot more than he seems. What appears to be a simple seduction is revealed as something much darker and more dangerous.
Head Lopper #3 by Andrew MacLean (Mar. 9th) - Norgal meets fellow adventurer Zhaania Kota Ka while battling a poison barb-shooting mega-arachnid from the elder region of Hell, home of the Under Gods. Agatha meets a fellow disembodied head while sitting on a table.

KXpsLLu.png

yx0aV1f.jpg

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth #141 by Mike Mignola and Cameron Stewart (Mar. 16th) - Missing children and rumors of devil worship have led BPRD exorcist Ashley Strode to a rural near ghost town, where not everyone is ready to banish the town’s demons.
Aw Yeah Comics: Action Cat! #1 by Art Baltazar and Franco (Mar. 9th) - Fresh from the creative minds at Aw Yeah Comics—a brand-new series starring the valiant Action Cat and his trusty sidekick, Adventure Bug! As Evil Cat lurks behind the scenes, our heroes endeavor to bring comics to the good people of Beautiful Downtown Skokie. You better believe high jinks will ensue!
Lobster Johnson: The Forgotten Man by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, and Peter Snejbjerg (Mar. 30th) - After a transient goes missing, Lobster Johnson is called in to investigate a priest who practices more than just religion. What he’s got cooking in his stew pot is nothing compared to what he has hiding in the sewers below . . .

7XkluQw.png

MxRMFtc.jpg

TMNT Deviations One-Shot by Tom Waltz and Zach Howard (Mar. 30th) - In a world where Shredder leads the Turtles, all hope seems lost! With the Turtles brainwashed to follow Shredder, Splinter forms a new group in a last ditch effort to save his sons… and New York City!
Godzilla: Oblivion #1 by Joshua Fialkov and Brian Churilla (Mar. 30th) - A scientist has created a portal to another dimension—one where monsters rule supreme! A terrifying expedition begins into a world where hope has died and Godzilla is the unrivaled King of the Monsters. But what happens when a baby kaiju hitches a ride back to the original, monster-less dimension?
Judge Dredd #4 by Ulises Fariñas, Erick Freitas, Dan McDaid (Mar. 30th) - As Dredd continues to unravel the mystery of what has become of Mega-City One, he’s brought before “The Forum” to be judged himself!

e1ZbXE9.png

eC3KHj4.jpg

A&A: The Aventures of Archer & Armstrong #1 by Rafer Roberts and David Lafuente (Mar. 16th) - Imprisoned in Armstrong’s satchel for centuries, Bacchus now commands a legion of monsters, goblins and golems bent on escaping back into the world of man and enacting revenge on their captor… Can Archer single-handedly combat the godly embodiment of intoxication himself – and rescue his best buddy – without becoming lost amongst Armstrong’s endless repository of bizarre artifacts and historical oddities in the process?
Patience by Daniel Clowes (Mar. 21) - The first original graphic novel by Clowes in over half a decade. Patience is an indescribable psychedelic science-fiction love story, veering with uncanny precision from violent destruction to deeply personal tenderness in a way that is both quintessentially “Clowesian,” and utterly unique in the author’s body of work.
Giant Days #12 by John Allison and Max Sarin (Mar. 2nd) - When Esther and Susan get mega bummed-out and are feeling non-jazzed about life, Daisy takes them camping up in the peaks to feel better.

G159DJG.png

New to comics? Check out Zombine's Start Up Guide!
Help support my name is ed! His comic Rage Against the Jackal is available digitally on Comixology!
Also keep an eye out for Bish's upcoming comic Savage Empire featuring art by Jim Roy Jimenez!

Members in ComicsGAF are expected to follow the NeoGAF TOS just like everyone else. I know it can be hard, but try and be excellent to your fellow members guys.
On SPOILERS. Use common sense and please, mark your spoilers! If you must post a spoilery panel or a page from a comic (recent or otherwise), please link to them with a proper spoiler warning. Don't be that person.

7Q41Ook.jpg

Boogiepop

From the last thread since I apparently posted there right before this one went up...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, so I'm officially starting Walking Dead, with the first compendium (I'll grab more assuming I'm still enjoying it at the end of this). Read through the first massive chapter or whatever, which I believe was all I had experienced of the series (I think it was the first volume) quite a while back. Like, long enough ago that I had completely forgotten it was in black and white.

Anyway, a solid start, though a bit of weirdness in the dialogue occasionally (most noticeably a few exchanges that were like "we should do thing x because reasons y and z" followed by "yes, that makes a lot of sense" where it feels like it's laying out a zombie survival guide and patting itself on the back for it. Also, kind of weird bits that feel sort of misogynistic even if the book went out of its way to have the characters be all "no, no, this is totally legit and not based on any views on women".) But mostly stuff that feels like it'll go away eventually. But yeah, I'll be interested to see how this goes, and I fortunately have a nice meaty sample of comics to give a try and decide on if I I want to keep going.

Not a very exciting month, personally:

-Black Widow is probably the most exciting new book coming out.

-Batman #50 will likely be book of the month.

-Amazing Spider-Man has a "major arc" starting.

-and I think a new comic movie comes out but that doesn't really matter.

Duress

Hello fellers!

Daredevil End of Days is on sale! Is it worth reading? Am I to expect the same quality as with Bendis's other Daredevil stuff?

Owzers

I'd heard some good things, presumeably from people who were Buffy fans. I was never a Buffy fan, though. The franchise just never appealed to me very much.

But...monster hijinks.....Buffy and Angel were my favorite shows when they were on. How can this be a bad thing:

tumblr_ljdcurQr441qbnhnpo1_500.gif

An episode of Angel...where people get turned into puppets. I think Angel's series holds up better, haven't watched either in years.

I don't think i'd recommend the comic to non-buffy fans.

Megatron

Kicking myself for missing the deadpool comixology sale a couple weeks ago. The Duggan Poeshn run). I'm just missing a few issues at the end. Over all it's probably my favorite deadpool run to date.

Li Kao

Batman Endgame 1-3: interesting, maybe a good writer can be seen by his way of doing a tired old uninteresting story (the crisis in itself) and making something worthy out of it. But boy is it dark, the backups from Tynion IV especially, ick.

Just one big moment of nonsense in all this, maybe I'm stupid but the Crime Alley scene reeks of failing spectacularly to render the action. Confusing as all hell.

frye

"The Discipline #1 by Peter Milligan (IN 2016)"

ayy lmao

Hello fellers!

Daredevil End of Days is on sale! Is it worth reading? Am I to expect the same quality as with Bendis's other Daredevil stuff?

It's 4 bux so I guess it's worth a try but it's a tremendously bad comic with dialogue that reads like bad parody of comics that are much better than it

The Buffy season comics were actually pretty good in spots.

I'd heard some good things, presumeably from people who were Buffy fans. I was never a Buffy fan, though. The franchise just never appealed to me very much.
I haven't finished S8 yet (I've read the first three library editions. Holy fuck is it long), but it's been solid. Wouldn't recommend them to non-BtVS fans, though. You have to have fairly intimate knowledge of the show, and also a desire to continue to delve into that show's universe.
But...monster hijinks.....Buffy and Angel were my favorite shows when they were on. How can this be a bad thing:

tumblr_ljdcurQr441qbnhnpo1_500.gif

An episode of Angel...where people get turned into puppets. I think Angel's series holds up better, haven't watched either in years.

I don't think i'd recommend the comic to non-buffy fans.
Angel holds up way better. It's a far more consistent show, though S3 is probably the worst season. I know most people say S4 is, but at least it has a fairly fast moving plot. Aside from the Cordelia/Connor stuff, it isn't bad at all. Hell, the Connor and Cordelia stuff isn't that bad, considering the characters are written to be unlikable for most of the season. I consider S3 worse because it falls apart in the second half and has two episodes that are just boring (where Connor comes back from Quortoth and the episode where Angel feels more useless with Groosalugg around). I don't like them. Plus, the Angel/Cordelia/Groo love triangle was horrible. Beyond that it's a much better show.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
been rewatching Daredevil season 1, and never really read any DD run besides the one before Secret Wars, so let me ask you this.

Is Stick such a huge dickbag in the comics aswell?

Trickster

Trying to get into marvel atm, but some of it is very confusing, apparently there's an x-men series called "all new x-men" that began quite recently. But it seems there's another, older x-men series, titled the exact same thing?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Trying to get into marvel atm, but some of it is very confusing, apparently there's an x-men series called "all new x-men" that began quite recently. But it seems there's another, older x-men series, titled the exact same thing?

Yeah, see the new one as Season Two and the old one as Season One.

International Iron Man #1 by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev (Mar. 16th) - Who is Tony Stark, really? Since learning that he was adopted as a baby, this question has cast a shadow over Stark's life. Now, it is time to uncover what his legacy truly is, a journey that will carry Tony into new directions as a man and as a super hero.

Adopted as a baby. Cast a shadow over his life. Are they going for a Spanish/Korean soap opera vibe here?

Something is very off for me about the "International" branding too.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How self contained do the different series tend to be? Like, do I have to read everything xmen related to get a proper understanding of what going on in each series?

Havent read all of New X-Men, but you can read it on your own, but I would recommend to read the first run all together with Uncanny X-Men.

"Stephen King Confirms Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey For ‘The Dark Tower’"

I don't care much who the actors are(yet),, but cool to hear this is becoming a movie.

One of the first series i read when getting back into comics.

edit:
Wellll hmmmm...
"Contrary to earlier reports, King said the film won’t adapt his 1982 novel “The Gunslinger” (the first novel in the “Dark Tower”) series, but rather “starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story.”

He added, “A lot of it takes place in our day, in the modern world.”

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Going to be a slow month for me. Only 14 titles total........

THE AUTUMNLANDS #11
BLACK SCIENCE #21
CRY HAVOC #3
DEADLY CLASS #20
INJECTION #8
MIRROR #2
MONSTRESS #4
PRETTY DEADLY #9
REVIVAL #38
SAGA #35
SHUTTER #19
SWITCH #?
THE WALKING DEAD #152
WAYWARD #15

ElNarez

Banned
Stark is adopted now?

short answer; yes

long answer: Once upon a time, Maria Stark was pregnant with a baby. But the baby had a sickness. That's when 451, a kindly recorder robot from the Rigelian Empire, offers to help. He'll cure the baby's illness, but in exchange, he wants to make the baby Super Great At Machines, which he claims is to help humanity be on a level playing field with every other crazy cosmic civilization in the Marvel Universe.

Also, Howard and Maria Stark are part of a merry band of old-school badasses, and they have to fight grey aliens in Vegas and it's RAD.

Anyway, the baby is born, he's great at machines, whatever.

Fast forward to the present! 451 bails Tony out of space jail (he was put in space jail by a bunch of mad space people who worship the Phoenix, which Tony kinda sorta maybe killed at the end of Avengers Vs. X-Men) and asks him to pilot the Godkiller, which is this giant suit of power armor that can pretty much fuck shit up on the grandest scale imaginable, and which only someone who's been made to be Super Great At Machines as a baby could pilot. They fight for a bit, except 451 wins because he's a robot, and robots are tricky.

So he puts Tony in the Godkiller.

And that's when the Godkiller does not work.

"Wait", you say "but what about the baby who's been engineered to be Super Great At Machines to pilot a Giant Death Robot in the future?"

Well, that's very much Not Tony. See, Howard and Maria Stark are Not Dumb. And they've figured out that 451 was Kind Of A Dick. So, to keep him safe from Alien Robots Who Are Kinda Dicks, they decide to hide the baby, and adopt a kid of the exact same age, who they will raise as their son.

The name of that kid? The baby who's Super Great At Machines, but still also kinda sick, which, in part, is because of the robot that made him that way?

Arno Stark, a.k.a. Iron Man 2020 (FOUR MORE YEARS Y'ALL)

People kinda hated it at the time, but I'm still way down on it because it adds some spice to Tony's whole thing without actually changing anything. Like, he still built this in a cave with a box of scraps, but also, his family was way dope, but also mysterious.

How self contained do the different series tend to be? Like, do I have to read everything xmen related to get a proper understanding of what going on in each series?
I wouldn't say it's self-contained, because it builds on the previous run, but you also don't need any prior knowledge to understand it. Which goes for pretty much most of Marvel and DC comics:

New author means new run, and pretty much most of the time (there's a couple exceptions here and there) you can pick up a new run and read it just fine on its own. This is 100% the case any time there is a new #1: you don't need any prior knowledge in order to read and understand that run. Like all Marvel/DC comics, however, it always adds to the experience of reading a new run if you have knowledge of old runs.

Any confusion?

Tizoc

I am leaving ComicGAF. I have decided it is time to move on from this point in my life and this will be my final post. Its been fun.

2VlT4je.gif

You'll be back.
You don't have anywhere else you're relevant in anyways.
And sell your Nocenti Catwoman comic/TPB collection already, have some class, child!

Top Bottom