• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom Movie Revived at Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan299

THR

Sony has tapped Dante Harper to pen a script for Venom, something that is being envisioned as a franchise apart from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movie in the works with actor Tom Holland.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, stewards of the Spider-Man properties, are producing and overseeing the project.

Harper is an up-and-coming scribe who did rewrite work on Edge of Tomorrow, the time travel sci-fi movie that starred Tom Cruise. He also co-wrote Sleepless Night, the crime thriller that stars Jamie Foxx and Dermot Mulroney.

Lock if old.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
envisioned as a franchise apart from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movie

Well they just want to fuck up something Spider-Man related still, so they got the closest thing.

What bullies.

So a Venom movie without Spiderman? Am I reading that right?

Why even bother, unless it features Carnage and is a hard R. I might watch it out of morbid curiosity.

Sony how are you already fucking up by allowing Arad back when you haven't even started working on the first film in the new franchise come on.

Cardon

So we have a potential non-Spidey MCU canon Venom spin-off movie in the works and that animated Spidey flick from Lord & Miller. Seems like Sony is still trying to milk Spiderman for what they can despite the quality dips that may occur.

Now that an R-rated superhero movie did well, Sony has to make an R-rated superhero movie. Good job staying ahead of the curve, Sony.

Corpekata

Banned
The character only works at the start when bound to Spidey. Can be spun off afterward but not putting the time in to set it up won't work, especially since his abilities are so similar.

Just copy the Eddie stuff from the Spectacular cartoon, someone did your job for you already.

Venom Sucks.

Arad sucks.

match made in heaven.

Arrogant sony strikes again!!!!!

unless agent venom is the game they're playing, i'm out

Burt

So a Venom movie without Spiderman? Am I reading that right?

Why even bother, unless it features Carnage and is a hard R. I might watch it out of morbid curiosity.

Bingo. Literally the "If Fox can pull it off with Deadpool.... might as well give it a go!"

They've got Spider-Man all tied up with Marvel now, but they're not going to sit on the rest of their comic IP now that Fox has shown the potential value of a niche character done well.

And somehow in 2016 we still have people speculating about direct translations of comic story lines.

I remember reading some email about Avi Arad wanting a Venom movie because he saw Venom in a toy circular or something.

cant wait to see the franchise they launch out of this

884299.jpg

Is this Matt Tolmach guy friends with Arad? His IMDB has him as producer for "Money for Nothing" in 1995 and there is a damn near 20 year gap until "The Amazing Spider-Man" and its sequel. A Film that force Sony to deal with Marvel Studios.

Why is Arad still getting work by the way? I LOVED what he did for Marvel cartoons in the 90's, but the guy is a hack now.

• Introduce high school Eddie Brock in 1st movie
  • Tease symbiote in Guardians of the Galaxy 2
  • Give Peter the black suit in Infinity War (like Secret Wars)
  • Can have Venom by 2nd movie

How hard is this to do? Feige needs to come through Sony and set 'em straight

jph139

To be fair, I think Venom is the only Spider-Man spin-off with the potential to actually succeed as a standalone. He's the only ancillary character that feels big enough. People would eat up that Lethal Protector stuff.

Making it unrelated to Spider-Man is such an obviously awful idea that it immediately tanks any potential a Venom movie could have had, though.

Ridley327

Does Avi Arad own Sony Pictures?

Dude seems to have a lot of sway.

No, he just happens to be a very successful producer and a big part of the reason why Marvel was able to survive the 90s.

His continued boner for Venom is still pretty funny, though.

Venom has been divorced from Spider-man for a very long time now. And Agent Venom seems to be very popular. So I could see it working.

Not everyone grew up with 90's Venom. So a Venom movie doesn't have to cater to them.

Would it really be so bad if we got something like this?
latest

Venom has been divorced from Spider-man for a very long time now. And Agent Venom seems to be very popular. So I could see it working.

Not everyone grew up with 90's Venom. So a Venom movie doesn't have to cater to them.

If they were making a Venom movie completely unrelated to Spider-Man then they probably couldn't make Flash Thompson Venom.

Well I mean I guess they could, but it would be a terrible idea.

Firemind

But... what does Venom even do without his waifu Spidey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom