• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoko Taro (Nier Director) reportedly working on a new mobile game for Square Enix

Square Enix Members (Japan) sent out a questionnaire regarding an upcoming mobile game by Yoko Taro. A lot of the questions seem to gauge how much name recognition fans have for Yoko.

Ten fans who respond will win an autographed shikishi (sign board) from Yoko.

New Smart Phone Application (Game) by YokoTaro

A questionnaire for a completely new, smart phone application (game) by Yoko Taro.
Thank you for your continued support of Square Enix Members.

At this point, we’ve just started a questionnaire regarding a new smart phone application (game) by Yoko Taro.

Do you know the name “Yoko Taro”?
If you selected “I know” for the previous question, please select any of the following that you are familiar with…
Please select the following games that you have played…
Out of the list above, which do you view most important?
What portion of smart phone games have you accessed? Free or Paid?
Of the free games below, please list those you’ve played:
Of the free games below, please list those you’ve grown addicted to:
Of the free games below, please list those you’ve paid for extra content:
From the list below, please select the voice actors that you enjoyed the most:
If you selected “other”, please elaborate below:
If you selected “other”, please inform us what other voice actors you like below:
Besides “Yoko Taro” games, what other titles do you like?

Translations from http://nier2.com/blog/2016/03/04/new-smart-phone-game-by-yoko-taro/

EDIT: Looks like it may be related to the "Alice Order" or "Grimms Notes" mobile games:
Do you know anything about the smart phone game “Grimm Notes”?
Do you know anything about the smart phone game “Alice Order”?
Are you interested in playing the role of “Alice” in a potential game by Yoko Taro?

Mobile :(

I mean, I guess I'm not surprised, and I can't really complain, since SE is still showing consoles love, too.

Dio

Banned
Yoko Taro once said this about the game industry:

I’ve felt for a long time that there wasn’t a whole lot of expression or presentation that was “acceptable.” For a game that retails for 7,800 Yen – I honestly have no idea what that’d be in US dollars, but let’s say $60. So say you came up with an idea to create a $60 game that ends in three minutes. But that’s just not going to happen.

I don’t know how to phrase it, but it’s like there’s this invisible wall that you can’t breach. Those three minutes could be the most beautiful three minutes ever made, but there are societal expectations or demands that prohibit you from making such a game. That’s the reality.

This could be his chance to really fuck with people.

Golnei

I guess it's not like this is the only thing he's working on. It is interesting that they're still trying to trade on his 'brand' and cult following even for a mobile game, I don't think that's been done for any original S-E mobile efforts.

I guess it's not like this is the only thing he's working on. It is interesting that they're still trying to trade on his 'brand' and cult following even for a mobile game, I don't think that's been done for any original S-E mobile efforts.

Yeah, they seem to be testing to the waters to see how much they can market it on recognition of his name. Could mean that it's not going to be tied to the Drakengard/Nier series (just speculation)

EDIT: Looks like it may be related to the "Alice Order" or "Grimms Notes" mobile games:

Do you know anything about the smart phone game “Grimm Notes”?
Do you know anything about the smart phone game “Alice Order”?
Are you interested in playing the role of “Alice” in a potential game by Yoko Taro?

That's fine. We're getting Nier 2 so I don't even care. He could be cleaning toilets at SE HQ for all I care, but as long as we get Nier 2 all is right with the world.

Lyriell

Erases all your contacts on death...

Calls your ex in the middle of the night at random.

Timed button presses to your ringtones to answer calls.

Keep the ideas coming.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
aw yess, a mobile rhythm game from Taro?

That already exists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demons'_Score

Well, existed. It got shut down.

Beyond Demon's Score, he also worked on one of their browser games (Monster x Dragon).

Top Bottom