• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Tribes [TokiTori] is closing down after 15 years.

dex3108

This is it! After more than 15 years of hard work and gallons of blood, sweat and tears, we have decided that RIVE will be Two Tribes’ final game. For this occasion we've created a brand new trailer, which you can see below. Feel free to share it with your readers, friends and family.

If you want to say hi - or in this case bye - in person, Martijn and Collin will be in San Francisco next week during GDC. We won’t have a booth, but if you want to play the game or talk to us about this announcement, let us know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQyPIHAOd98

http://twotribes.com/message/rive-is-our-final-game/

Clarification they are not closing they just won;t make anymore games

We also want to make clear that Two Tribes will remain operational. We will continue to support our partners and all gamers out there, we just won’t be making any new games after RIVE.

Mods please fix title.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
:(

I remember reading that they were having trouble back when Toki Tori 2 was released... I guess that's just the way things are.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
latest

CengizMan

Their blogpost is explaining pretty well why they made this choice. The guys really are talented, but they are probably right with this part.

Dinosaurs
As said, we’ve been working in the games industry since early 2000, making us dinosaurs, old farts, grandfathers or whatever you want to call us. This is great, because we’ve got a lot experience, but it also means that we act like a typical grandfather: slow and totally unaware of what is hot and what is not. Don’t get us wrong: we absolutely love making games, and we strongly feel that we’re good at making them. However, ask us anything about new industry developments, and often a big question mark will appear above our heads.

For example, we are used to working with our own proprietary engine. It’s technology that works great for us, but is by no means competitive with tools like Unity or the Unreal Engine. And then there are monetization strategies like free-to-play. We only know, and feel comfortable working with, the traditional model of full-priced games. The same goes for marketing: we know how to make a decent trailer and send out a press release… but have no clue how to get traction on YouTube and Twitch.

The guys over at Two Tribes are really nice people. I wish them the best of luck finishing this game and with the future.

Exuro

:(

I remember reading that they were having trouble back when Toki Tori 2 was released... I guess that's just the way things are.
Yeah I remember them releasing it at the beginning of a summer sale which wasn't the smartest move. Was completely overshadowed.

Didn't they just release Toki Tori 2+ on PS4?

Yes and they still have another game coming in September to all platforms.

They've made some great games and it's sad to see them go. I'd highly recommend everyone read the blog post linked in the op, as it's really informative.

Samemind

It's a damn shame. Toki tori 2 was a game that came out of nowhere and took some risks by avoiding having any text whatsoever during gameplay. For that, i'll never forget it

Other than Two Tribes, does anyone know of any other company that uses Sonic Picnic for their sound design?

They're amazing at what they do, and the sound-design in TT2 was one of it's best qualities.

spekkeh

Banned
I applied for a job there a couple of years ago. Unsolicited, so obviously I was turned down, but got a very friendly e-mail back that they thought my resume was very interesting but that they simply did not have the funds for my type of academic background. Too bad. Given their description of being dinosaurs who don't understand F2P and Twitch, I would have fit right in.

Effect

At least no jobs are being lost. I've really liked Two Tribe's games. I think I have most of them on the Wii U and I'm really looking forward to Rive. Here's hoping things improve for them. Would like to see them continue to work on games even if they aren't their own.

theJohann

I am truly saddened by this news. I think their games are excellent, and I very much look forward to RIVE. I believe that many people will talk about them in the far future with respect and honest appreciation.

what other work do they do if they're leaving game production but not closing?

now that i think about it I've got at least 4 off their games. possibly even double-dipped-on ones. I guess i was a bigger fan of their work than I realized. glad their jobs aren't going away.

Apenheul

Man, I guess I sort of saw it coming but hoped these guys would pull through. Looking forward to Rive anyhow and with the employees the best.

Sorta had the impression they weren't doing so hot.

Their games were CONSTANTLY on sale on WiiU and Steam. You can TASTE the desperation there.

Good to know they're not outright closing down. Hope they can return to a development capacity at some point.

TwistedSyn

Wow this is some pretty sad news. I really enjoyed the Toki Tori games and even Edge. I hope they do well in their future endeavors.

I will definitely be buying Rive once it comes out.

jacksrb

Love what TwoTribes stuff I have played, especially the Toki Tori series.

Toki Tori was more elegant and genius and I got stuck and ran out of steam.

Also really loved the Rubiks Cube Rush game...

Best of luck to everyone involved.

jariw

At least no jobs are being lost. I've really liked Two Tribe's games. I think I have most of them on the Wii U and I'm really looking forward to Rive. Here's hoping things improve for them. Would like to see them continue to work on games even if they aren't their own.

There were lots of jobs lost at the restructuring in late 2013/early 2014.

epmode

I've been a big fan of Two Tribes since I played their Toki Tori PC remake. I never understood why their games never took off. They play well and they're polished as hell. I was even on the mailing list for Rive.

-shadow-

I've never bought Toki Tori 2 but I remember playing it many years ago on, I think, the GameBoy Color. I remember thinking it was fun, but I never thought of purchasing the games on the WiiU. Sad to see them go regardless.

Seems like the perfect time to share a short story... one or two years ago I picked up Worms: Open Warfare 2, a 2007 game made by Two Tribes for Team17, and encountered what I though was a bug (in fact it was just extremely odd level design decision). I have contacted Two Tribes by e-mail, expecting nothing, but someone replied to me and, despite having no game to look at, asked if he could help me, remembering the game. By that time I've already found out the solution, but man, that level of care and support on two Tribes part was great. Bear in mind - that was when they haven't announced RIVE and were lamenting over the commercial failure of Toki Tori 2+.

Akhe

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

tumblr_inline_njvhg1WlGL1ro2d43.gif

Man, WTF!!

CTLance

My family likes Toki Tori, my dad in particular loves the challenge and gets really upset when I try to help him. I have bought like three dozen copies of the games over the years, for gifting and on various platforms.

Sad to see them go. Hope they land on their feet.

Razlo

The games industry has always been tough, but is currently tough not in making a game, but in getting eyes on it and making money.

I can completely understand how they'd be frustrated that making good games does not equal any sort of success. Sad to see them go, hopefully Rive does well enough to get them to change their mind.

Simbabbad

What's depressing is (from what they say) an entire (great) way to make games has disappeared.

I'm not really surprised, though. Their games have appeal issue, Toki Tori 2 in particular.

I love Two Tribes, having bought, played, and enjoyed every one of their releases. Here's hoping Rive is a big success which helps reverse this decision. I'll do my part.

I hate seeing talented peope stop doing what they love. Hopefully Rive is so successful it makes them change their minds. Or, maybe it's genius marketing meant to drum up interest for their upcoming game. People will hear their story and buy in droves trying to get them to reconsider fi it sells well. It'd be a great marketing move honestly. I'll be getting Rive. The trailer is great. These are the types of studios Nintendo should be acquiring to supplement their 1st party software efforts.

RedToad64

Toki Tori 2 went in a direction that I was very unhappy with, but it is still sad to see such a talented studio close their doors on development.

Toki Tori is one of my favorite games on Steam... Really sad to hear this. Best of luck to everyone in the team in their future endeavors.

hawk2025

This is so sad.

Toki Tori 2 is one of the best puzzle games ever made.

Well and truly ever made, up there with the classics with its perfect world design, learning curve, multitude of unique puzzles and areas, the works.

Gutted.

NateDrake

Toki Tori 2 really sank the company, it seems. They invested heavily in that title and it didn't sell to expectations. They updated it and released it on more platforms and still couldn't find success.

Top Bottom