• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: Sponsored Content for Proudnet [SFV, 7 years in dev], Licensed by Sony

Tripon

Again, this is sponsored content by Proudnet/Nettention. That means, that Proudnet/Nettention paid Gamasutra to run it. So expect a biased or favored view towards Proudnet/Nettention.

Capcom recently released the highly-anticipated Street Fighter V to enthusiastic fans, following seven years of development. The Street Fighter franchise has evolved from head-to-head matches in the arcade to online matches that fans all over the world can enjoy, thanks to dazzling technologies.

Street Fighter V's global online multiplayer is where ProudNet comes into play. Developed by Nettention, ProudNet is a server and network engine used by Street Fighter V's online multiplayer mode. Nettention, a tools and middleware developer licensed by Sony, is now looking to push further into the console games market, as well as PC and mobile.

A console game development project was quite different in some areas compared to online PC or mobile development. The milestones were different, stages of quality control were different, and stages of code freeze, where no modification is allowed, were very distinct. But though the project seemed like it would be a long ordeal, once we started to proceed, it was not long at all.

Applying ProudNet in Street Fighter V was a great way to learn about console game development.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...nd_the_P2P_networking_of_Street_Fighter_V.php

The Licensed by Sony line makes me think SFV is only the beginning, we're going to see this company in more games.

pizzacat

Banned
I mean when the connection is good it's probably the closest to local any fighter I've played has gotten to.

But when it's bad? It's the wooooooorrrst, like share playing someone from Argentina, from another dimension that has earth and Argentina in it.

I'm really confused. Are you trying to draw attention to the fact that Sony has a Proudnet license, or that Gamasutra is running a sponsored press release?

I mean when the connection is good it's probably the closest to local any fighter I've played has gotten to.

But when it's bad? It's the wooooooorrrst, like share playing someone from Argentina, from another dimension that has earth and Argentina in it.

Have you played Killer Instinct?

DrArchon

SFV was in development for 7 years!?

They have to be including all the planning and stuff that went into it. I'm sure Capcom was thinking about SFV for years before Sony showed up with the money to actually make it happen.

There's no way they had the kind of cash to be developing it in earnest for 7 years.

Tripon

I'm really confused. Are you trying to draw attention to the fact that Sony has a Proudnet license, or that Gamasutra is running a sponsored press release?
Sony has a proudnet license.

Gamasutra running sponsored press releases are just a sign of the times. I was just explicit stating it just to make sure people aren't confused about the nature of this article.

jett

D-Member
SFV wasn't in development for seven years, that's ridiculous. Did this company look at the original console release date of SF4 and figured "Capcom has been developing this game since!"? lol

Anyway, matchmaking in SFV is still seriously troubled for many people, although finally usable for me. The netcode once you get a fight going is really good, but the overall online infrastructure is kind of terrible to be honest.

Yes, trust a gut feeling instead of the company working for Capcom.

You seriously think SFV was in development for 7 years?! I mean, my 2-3 years guesstimate might not be correct, but I'll bet it was closer to that than it was to 7 years. They're just saying that because SFIV was released in 2009, but there's no way the game was in development for that whole time.

Tripon

You seriously think SFV was in development for 7 years?! I mean, my 2-3 years guesstimate might not be correct, but I'll bet it was closer to that than it was to 7 years. They're just saying that because SFIV was released in 2009, but there's no way the game was in development for that whole time.

They're saying that because SFV was in some form of development for 7 years.

7 years and they couldn't implement an Arcade mode and VS CPU, let alone a proper story mode. Insanity. Well, the chickens have come home to roost.

.la1n

SF V feels like a game that had a very rushed development cycle. I would say two years of active development is being generous.

balohna

I'm guessing they mean whatever technology is being used for online matches was started 7 years ago, not that SFV was in development for 7 years.

Edit: lol I guess they specifically say Capcom. OP probably shouldn't have included that part in the thread title, now it's what the thread is about.

Calling that 7 years development bullshit and noway should they be proud of their awful multiplayer service.

They didn't even look at SF4 and Third Strike Online on how to make a proper game.

L Thammy

I'm guessing they mean whatever technology is being used for online matches was started 7 years ago, not that SFV was in development for 7 years.

That would be a remarkable failure on behalf of the writer considering that Capcom is the subject of the sentence.

Capcom recently released the highly-anticipated Street Fighter V to enthusiastic fans, following seven years of development.

Top Bottom