• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - Free map each month for a year, maps rotate, buy to keep for customs

Gowans

I had to truncate the title but the proposed Free Map DLC system for Gears of War 4 is different.

- 1 New Map each month for a year
- Maps Rotate in and out for online play
- You have to buy the map to keep playing for custom games

Really not sure on this one, free maps are great but the fact they drop out of rotation and you have to buy them seems really weird, especially when Halo 5 had it nailed where you just pay for cosmetics.

What do you think GAF?

Finaj

I mean, it's better than splitting up the matchmaking community, but I would prefer Halo 5's model.

Gowans

The only part that seems weird is pulling content back out.

Buying map DLC is anyway seems so outdated now and I can't imagine customs being that popular.

I hope they drop it.

Chris1

I mean, it's better than splitting up the matchmaking community, but I would prefer Halo 5's model.
Yep.

I don't really understand why they're doing it this way, are they really expecting to make a lot of $ from the map packs? I can't imagine many people buying them when they only work in private games and only the host needs to have them. Seems easier and better to just make them completely free and available at all times.

Lucifon

This sounds odd. Surely 95%, if not more, of people won't ever touch private matches. Therefore you'd never buy the DLC.

Pudge

I'm really not a fan of online map rotation. Just makes you repeat matches faster. I'm not going to play Gears customs, so that doesn't effect me, but it's a strange system.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This sounds odd. Surely 95%, if not more, of people won't ever touch private matches. Therefore you'd never buy the DLC.

This looks like a case of "I'm not actually comfortable with modern business models, but want to use one anyway, so let's do this really odd thing."

Xav

After Halo 5 and Splatoon, I just can't see myself ever paying for maps again so this is good.

Really not sure on this one, free maps are great but the fact they drop out of rotation and you have to buy them seems really weird, especially when Halo 5 had it nailed where you just pay for cosmetics.

I agree.

This is weird. What if I really like a map and I want to play it alone with randoms? Tough luck, wait several months for it to come back into rotation and no you cant pay us to play it online either?

dt2

Banned
I'd prefer Halo 5's model where cosmetics pretty much pay for permanent additions but this is better than paying out right for map packs.

Zedox

What's funny is that this is more like the KI model, instead you switch characters out for maps. Interesting.

leeh

If there isn't any microtransactions in the game, then this is great. If there is, then why the hell don't they use 343's model?

its not that i think its scummy, i just dont see how it makes any business sense? whats the goal here?

Nobody wins really, devs nore players

Courage

It's a really weird system. Will custom games on those maps be that prevalent for it be a worthwhile revenue source while affecting the rest of the community?

m23

its not that i think its scummy, i just dont see how it makes any business sense? whats the goal here?

Nobody wins really, devs nore players

Yeah, I just don't see the benefit here for anyone. Why take maps out of rotation and lower the variety in playlists?

Angel_DvA

Nah, don't do it like this Coalition, just give us maps for free, Halo 5 and many other EA games shows that you can have enough money with Micro-transaction...

but not wanting to split your community is clever, map packs should always be free.

I don't mind as long as the newer maps appear often, what is the point of buying it for private matches when matchmaking is going to limit their uses a lot.

I hardly ever touch customs in these games because I never have more then 1-2 friends online at any time who want to play, and usually i'm alone.

KORNdoggy

maps should be free. this is good. not sure i like the rotation system, but i guess it prevents the usual issue of only a few fan favorite maps cycling endlessly.

if they wanted to play safe with the game mechanics and games modes, I think its fair.
343 altered the Halo formula and introduced warzone. I think the coalition is not yet at the position to change the formula as much as 343 did to add microtransactions.

killroy87

What's the benefit of this system? Why have them phase in and out?

Seems super dumb, especially for competitive players or anyone who just really really likes a certain map.

aBarreras

so like Splatoon? that game was really a revolution for cometitive shooters!

I think maps should rotate weekly or bi-weekly, if you dont like a month's maps you are stuck for whole 30 days!

link1201

Buying maps is bad. Halo 5 is on the right track with keeping the maps free. Charge for cosmetic stuff but locking people out of maps will prevent those maps from ever showing up.

They should add micro-transactions like weapons skins or multiplayer characters so we can keep all maps.

They do, plus boosts for XP or something like that. I just think they don't expect them to sell as much as Halo 5's model since in Halo 5 there are a plethora of REQs and multiple teirs to unlock.

Gears seem pretty simple with just skins for weapons and different characters. i doubt we will see 100s of different characters available so there may be a limit of how much of the mts will provide for them.

that's just my guess though.

FyreWulff

Not as annoyed at this as I am over MT. Splitting the online userbase is bad. Having to pay to play the map on your own terms is okay with me. As long as the online MM base is unified.

Zedox

I don't understand the rotation. At the same time I don't really play private games that much anymore. But still, for those that do, that sucks. At least the online userbase isn't split.

FyreWulff

I don't understand the rotation. At the same time I don't really play private games that much anymore. But still, for those that do, that sucks. At least the online userbase isn't split.

The rotation sounds more like they they're just telling people they reserve the ability to move maps in and out of playlists in case they don't work out well for a particular mode. Like they've done in the past.

EBE

bought maps that are out of rotation can only be used for customs private?
what if i like the map enough to buy it (which is ridiculous--FUCK THAT) but want to match make with other folks?

Top Bottom