• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I threw away over a dozen classic consoles and components today. What did I do??

VALIS

I had the last bit of stuff to remove from my previous house which is being sold next week, and a lot of it was classic video game stuff. Thanks to a terribly cranky back and a sweaty, tired self, I made a snap decision at the storage facility to just shitcan this stuff once and for all. Now, I adore classic games. That's my era, the one I grew up in. I got the 2600 plus Combat, Breakout, Adventure, Circus Atari and Video Pinball in 1979 and have been in love with video games since. But do I need this stuff anymore? It's been following me around for years in boxes and boxes. Dusty and cobwebbed, maybe I'll pull a console out once a year to hook up to the TV instead of playing an emulator.

And yeah, I can play most of these games on emulators, so it's no huge deal. But I'm also a firm believer in preserving cultural items because once you throw them away, that's it, they don't come back. But **** it. My back was screaming.

Here's what I threw away, all in working order last I checked:

2 x Atari 2600
2 x Atari 5200 (1 two port, 1 four port)
Colecovision with 2 regular controllers and 2 Super Action controllers
Coleco steering wheel
SNES with adapter for SNES/SFC/NES/FAM
Professor SFII add-on for the SNES (allows you to play roms on a real SNES) plus about 1000 disks of roms
2 x Odyssey 2 with voice module
Intellivision mk1 with Intellivoice module
Intellivision mk2 with Intellivision computer + keyboard
Microvision handheld (okay, this was broken)
Fairchild Channel F
Bally Astrocade

In the garbage. For the record, I kept the Vectrex, TurboDuo, Sega CDX and all my games, of course. I'm not that stupid. So, should I burned at the stake in Gamerville, or lauded for throwing out a bunch of dusty plasic boxes which really have no major historical value?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Maybe you could've shopped it around or found an interested party to gladly take them off your back. But really, you're not missing anything unless you're retro gamer. Which seems like you aren't considering the whole "throwing away" business.

Wait I take that back:

"Professor SFII add-on for the SNES"

Whaaaaaa? You threw that away!?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mute said:
Okay. Did you do that just so you could make this thread?
No, he felt he has made a hasty decision concerning an important part of his hobby in order to clean house and get rid of unwanted junk. He needs confirmation or admonishment for his decision since he's currently unclear if he made the right one.

VALIS

Mute said:
Okay. Did you do that just so you could make this thread?

No, it just hit me like an hour ago, you threw all those things away. They're gone. I dunno. I can see it both ways. Quite a waste to throw all that cool old stuff away, but in the end, it was also just mostly clutter. It sounds nice to own an Atari 5200, but it's the size of a german shepard. How many more times am I going to play it in my life?

I'm sure you have somewhere you could have put them where they wouldn't have been in the way. They could be worth 16 thousand dollars in 20 years, you don't know.

carlos

I'm sorry, but I can't forgive you....

Many out there (including myself) would pay shipping costs and a nice amount extra for those rare items that those born in the 80's never got to see...

not to mention that professor sfII snes rom thing, I havent even heard of that, and i'm a pseudo collector...oh well....

VALIS said:
I had the last bit of stuff to remove from my previous house which is being sold next week, and a lot of it was classic video game stuff. Thanks to a terribly cranky back and a sweaty, tired self, I made a snap decision at the storage facility to just shitcan this stuff once and for all. Now, I adore classic games. That's my era, the one I grew up in. I got the 2600 plus Combat, Breakout, Adventure, Circus Atari and Video Pinball in 1979 and have been in love with video games since. But do I need this stuff anymore? It's been following me around for years in boxes and boxes. Dusty and cobwebbed, maybe I'll pull a console out once a year to hook up to the TV instead of playing an emulator.

And yeah, I can play most of these games on emulators, so it's no huge deal. But I'm also a firm believer in preserving cultural items because once you throw them away, that's it, they don't come back. But **** it. My back was screaming.

2 x Atari 2600
Coleco steering wheel
Professor SFII add-on for the SNES (allows you to play roms on a real SNES) plus about 1000 disks of roms
Fairchild Channel F
Bally Astrocade

In the garbage. For the record, I kept the Vectrex, TurboDuo, Sega CDX and all my games, of course. I'm not that stupid. So, should I burned at the stake in Gamerville, or lauded for throwing out a bunch of dusty plasic boxes which really have no major historical value?

Where do you live and where do you put the garbage? Just give me a street name.

ant1532

Banned
VALIS said:

2 x Atari 2600
Coleco steering wheel
Fairchild Channel F
Bally Astrocade

Tried to think of some theories, but they all led to one thing.

You are mentally challenged.

TheGreatDave said:
I'm sure you have somewhere you could have put them where they wouldn't have been in the way. They could be worth 16 thousand dollars in 20 years, you don't know.
Electronics like that don't really appreciate in value like that right? I might've come across a discman or two that's highly sought after by audiophiles, but that's all I've heard of.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)

What hurts is that I've been looking for a Fairchild and Bally Astrocade for a bit now. I would have gladly paid all shipping charges and taken both off your hands.

Sigh.

arne

Verboten said:
Where do you live and where do you put the garbage? Just give me a street name.

This was my VERY FIRST reaction to your post.

SERIOUSLY, there's still time, the trash won't be taken out until tomorrow morning at the earliest, if not sometime next week. Unless you moved to Manhattan all of a sudden.

xsarien

daedsiluap
70show_RedForman.jpg

_______

Fill in the blank.

mosaic

go eat paint
I applaud your actions... but....

In a manner of speaking, you tossed out $1,000, easy. Screw eBay, a couple GAF collect-a-holics would've offered you cash on the barrel head.

So, according to most of society, you're probably a crazy loon... and yet, to some, you are a badass, because you just chucked out a grand without a second thought. Like lighting cigars or wiping your ass with twenties.

VALIS

arne said:
SERIOUSLY, there's still time, the trash won't be taken out until tomorrow morning at the earliest, if not sometime next week. Unless you moved to Manhattan all of a sudden.

Nah, like I said, I threw it all out at the storage facility. Which has a steel gate to get in and another locked fence surrounding the dumpster. I could concievably go back there tomorrow since I doubt industrial trash gets picked up on Saturdays. Hmm.

mosaic said:
I applaud your actions... but....

In a manner of speaking, you tossed out $1,000, easy.

Nah. You think so? I just did a search for the Professor SFII and see it's very hard to find and being offered for between $100 and $200 when it does turn up. So yeah, turns out that was stupid ("who the hell wants to slowly load roms off 3.5" discs in this day and age?", I asked myself). And I know the Intellivision computer was kind of rare. But the rest? Really? In the mid-90s when I was re-buying all this stuff most classic consoles would go for $30-$40 each.

Beezy

VALIS said:
Nah. You think so? I just did a search for the Professor SFII and see it's very hard to find and being offered for between $100 and $200 when it does turn up. So yeah, turns out that was stupid ("who the hell wants to slowly load roms off 3.5" discs in this day and age?", I asked myself). And I know the Intellivision computer was kind of rare. But the rest? Really? In the mid-90s when I was re-buying all this stuff most classic consoles would go for $30-$40 each.

That's still way more than the nothing you got by throwing them away...

Joe Molotov said:
VALIS should get a perma-ban for this for. I'm not joking.

He's so pissed that he can't even type properly. :lol

the Professor SFII alone would have netted you $100+

edit: shoulda read the whole thread instyead of hastily replying... but wtf, you threw away $500-1000 easily

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Lo-Volt said:
I still don't understand why you didn't sell them.

you're an idiot. there's some other idiot out there that would have cherished all those things y'know

all you did was make those things rarer

Beezy

The Faceless Master said:
the Professor SFII alone would have netted you $100+

edit: shoulda read the whole thread instyead of hastily replying... but wtf, you threw away $500-1000 easily

Then he could've bought a PS3, sold it on ebay, and doubled his money. :)

Joe Molotov

Beezy said:
He's so pissed that he can't even type properly. :lol

That was originally supposed to be "forever" but then I thought that was redundant, but accidentally left the extra "for" in there. It has been corrected, and deleted scenes have been reinstated to form a Director's Cut of my original post, to reflect the artist's original vision.

Koomaster

I... can only come to the conclusion that you are lying. No one would willingly do this, ever.

Seriously, gaming forum, post that you want to get rid of this stuff, anything left over, ebay will take off your hands.

I can't fathom....

... Okay, I just can't look at this thread longer.

VALIS

It's not like I threw away all the cartridges. I still have those... thousands of those. :( Maybe I'll give that stuff away someday, but those will never be thrown out. I just didn't see much value in the actual consoles, but I guess some people do.

Beezy

VALIS said:
It's not like I threw away all the cartridges. I still have those... thousands of those. :( Maybe I'll give that stuff away someday, but those will never be thrown out. I just didn't see much value in the actual consoles, but I guess some people do.

:O

If you sell them for $3 each, you can make at least $3000!
Can't stop, won't stop.

Raistlin

VALIS said:

I'll take 'em :)

VALIS

Beezy said:
:O

If you sell them for $3 each, you can make at least $3000!
Can't stop, won't stop.

More than that, probably around 4,000 carts. And this just scratches the surface of my pack rat-ness. I have three 15'x15' storage units in that place for my vinyl lps, comic books, arcade machines and game cartridges. I am the Voltron of pack rats. And I told a bold step away from that today! Really! It's good. :(

Beezy

VALIS said:
More than that, probably around 4,000 carts. And this just scratches the surface of my pack rat-ness. I have three 15'x15' storage units in that place for my vinyl lps, comic books, arcade machines and game cartridges. I am the Voltron of pack rats. And I told a bold step away from that today! Really! It's good. :(

Why are you just sitting on that goldmine?! How old are you btw?

Joe Molotov

Seriously, what you've done here today shocks the conscience of the gaming community and you really should be banned for it.

arne

VALIS said:

Hell if you really don't want to deal with it and/or are lazy about it too, I'm one of those "we'll sell it on ebay" for you places might still help you make some good bank even after their cut.

but yeah, the loonies on gaf will hand cash over fist for this stuff. ;)

Top Bottom