SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Playing SotN without music should be illegal.
Until recently removing stuff was the only way you could fit it on the device.

Excellent, 100% stable 60.0 fps. PCSX ReARMed is perfection.
Ridge Racer also 60fps, even with high resolution display turned on. It's the Neon branch of PCSX Rearmed that makes the difference, as it basically has graphics hardware support. The 3DS version, in comparison, does not due to the older ARM chips used in that device.

Sep 12, 2017
Hi all!
Just thought I'd send a shout-out to anyone who would like some high-quality box-art of the PAL Super Nintendo games, which I edited in Photoshop and put up on my blog. If there are any others that I don't have that you'd like, let me know and I can probably whip one up.
http://retro2011.blogspot.com

Happy gaming! ^_^
Fantastic work: as an ex-pat living in the US playing on an EU SNES Classic, this is very much appreciated :)

Jan 15, 2014
This isn't SNES Classic related exactly, but I want to apply the translation patch to BSSM Another Story and the tools for the patch are all bundled together and they all date back to the stone age. Couldn't get anything to take. Does anyone know of a 21st-century IPS file I can use to patch my ROM?
Anyone have any idea about this? No leet speak please, just looking for a non-bundled IPS that works in a modern tool that I can use, if one is out there.

OK, plopped some more games on there, two issues:

2) This isn't SNES Classic related exactly, but I want to apply the translation patch to BSSM Another Story and the tools for the patch are all bundled together and they all date back to the stone age. Couldn't get anything to take. Does anyone know of a 21st-century IPS file I can use to patch my ROM?
Download a current IPS patcher and apply pach.

Jan 15, 2014
Got my SNES Classic pretty much how I want it, figured I'd share what I found here.

First, I know the Another Story translation isn't strictly a SNES Classic thing, but I had to tear the thing off a ROM just to get it patchable to my ROM... sort of a stupid thing to have to do, but that's the only way I could even find a modern patch. Figured I'd save anyone else the hassle and make it available here.

Second, for some reason the on-board Squaresoft games are listed as Square Enix games under the publisher on the Classic. If you're adding Square games, if you want them to be grouped together, put it as Square Enix.

Last, I found on Reddit there's a thread about creating your own demos for added games. It's not terribly difficult, and there's a Google Drive account with a bunch of user-made demos. I threw some of mine up there. It's a bit of a hassle but if you're only putting a few games on there, it makes it more of a seamless experience.

Oct 22, 2005
Thought I'd make a gallery post containing all of my custom, converted or alternative SNES boxarts! I've made a few now... some have been tweaked since my original individual posts. Use if desired! I'll link back to this post should I create any more...

JP

Mar 7, 2010
  • JP

JP

Wow, this is what happens when you don't visit this thread for a few weeks. Really impressive even though I don't think I'd bother messing around with it until they simplify it.

What are the USB OTG adapters?

I've just done a quick search on Amazon and it bought all these up, are they the right things? I appreciate that it would need to be powered via USB also.

Sep 29, 2015
having kind of a weird issue here.. so I installed hackchi just fine, everything is working so then I wanted to hook up to my CRT and try things there. Retroarch looks like my best option for that so I installed retroarch and set a global command line so that all original games would play on it. The problem I am experiencing is really weird, the games boot up just fine but for whatever reason when I am in game I am getting like.. none of the sounds. For instance in super Mario world while riding Yoshi if I spit a fireball I can hear a fire sound effect.. but no music, no jump sound.. and only faint muffled sounds in the background. I am not sure what is going on here. I have already tried flashing the original kernel, removing hackchi and uninstalling retroarch + factory settings and then reinstalling everything but this did not work.. even on fresh installs I have the same weird issue, I am using an HDMI to AV converter to play on the CRT, without retroarch the sound plays fine.

Any ideas?

May 20, 2014
Are there any good translations of Ace Attorney 1-3 on GBA out there? And by that I mean has anyone just dumped the script from the official translations on the GBA Roms or something.

Playing Ace Attorney on a big TV but not on Wii-U sounds fun.

Aug 8, 2016
Haivng trouble with this step for the customer border

copy the backgrounds folder to your PC from /usr/share/

Having a whole bunch of failed file transfers and the files that did transfer all seem the wrong size

Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, a reset seemed to fix it

May 29, 2012
Thought I'd make a gallery post containing all of my custom, converted or alternative SNES boxarts! I've made a few now... some have been tweaked since my original individual posts. Use if desired! I'll link back to this post should I create any more...
You've got Goldeneye tucked away in that list, but otherwise, some nice box art for some of them

having kind of a weird issue here.. so I installed hackchi just fine, everything is working so then I wanted to hook up to my CRT and try things there. Retroarch looks like my best option for that so I installed retroarch and set a global command line so that all original games would play on it. The problem I am experiencing is really weird, the games boot up just fine but for whatever reason when I am in game I am getting like.. none of the sounds. For instance in super Mario world while riding Yoshi if I spit a fireball I can hear a fire sound effect.. but no music, no jump sound.. and only faint muffled sounds in the background. I am not sure what is going on here. I have already tried flashing the original kernel, removing hackchi and uninstalling retroarch + factory settings and then reinstalling everything but this did not work.. even on fresh installs I have the same weird issue, I am using an HDMI to AV converter to play on the CRT, without retroarch the sound plays fine.

Any ideas?
Check your sound settings. Seems like you're set to surround sound but using it on a stereo setup, so you're missing a channel.

JP

Mar 7, 2010
  • JP

JP

Has anybody here used the 'extra space' module?

I know that it warns that it's "very experimental" but I'm wondering what the actually risks are at the moment if something was to go wrong? It would be nice to claw back an additional 50MB of space but I'm not willing to risk it if it's going to mess things up.

Has anybody here used the 'extra space' module?

I know that it warns that it's "very experimental" but I'm wondering what the actually risks are at the moment if something was to go wrong? It would be nice to claw back an additional 50MB of space but I'm not willing to risk it if it's going to mess things up.
You don't actually get extra space, you just limit the amount of space save states use so you can use it for games. Not recommended.

Can someone explain to me how to do a save state for Genesis games? Ive lost about 5 hours of Phantasy Star 4 progress due to not understanding how they work. Please help before I start over. Again.
In my experience it works exactly the same as the save state method for the built-in games. That is, from the classic's own menu - pushing down and then a button to confirm.

Don't use the save state option in the RetroArch menu.

Nov 16, 2013
AZ
In my experience it works exactly the same as the save state method for the built-in games. That is, from the classic's own menu - pushing down and then a button to confirm.

Don't use the save state option in the RetroArch menu.
This didn't work either. It shows the image of where I saved the game at last but after powering down and coming back and trying to start the game from the image, it just starts the ROM over. So I come back and it starts me over even though there is a save state there.

JP

Mar 7, 2010
  • JP

JP

I recently went back to the NES version and pretty much started again getting everything just how I want it to be, I must have spent more time messing around with these things than I have actually using them. I seem to be constantly at the stage of "I'll just get it a bit better before I start playing properly".

EDIT:
This may be the greatest thing that I've seen in my entire life. :)

Last edited:
I've been playing PAL-only SuperFX game Winter Gold (1996) and I'm wondering if there's a patch to make it NTSC?

The reason I ask is that even being perfect runs on down hill skiing our times are WAY behind the computer.

If I run the game at higher SFX boost 1.25/1.5 using canoe then perfect run times are much closer to the computer times.

Any ideas?

Dec 13, 2016
I just got my SNES classic on Friday, and already have it loaded with tons of NES, SNES, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance games. It's quickly become my most played console lol. Link's Awakening DX is just plain glorious...

Yes, there is! Google and it will appear. I got my copy patched ;)
Turns out hakchi2 had automatically patched it so it will run, but that doesn't help with the timing issue.

The computer players are running 20% faster than PAL but the clock runs in realtime so they are impossible to beat.

Last edited:

Zog

Oct 24, 2017
I have found 2 games that run in the built in NIntendo emulator but save files don't stick. The 7th Saga and Breath of Fire 2.

Edit: I fixed Breath of Fire 2, I guess it was a bad rom.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2006
San Antonio, TX
After doing this to my NES classic last year and then just finding a SNES classic in the wild today, I come to hack it and it's still just as easy, but feels more "complete" if that makes any sense. My main focus on both of them was SNES games so the built-in emulator they're using being able to run most of my games natively helps a lot. the updates to hakchi since I last used it are great. I think the only "problem" is there not being an easy way to apply the CRT filter without the bilinear using the mod. It all has to be run with the command-line switch and I don't want to go through 70+ games to enter that manually. :|

After doing this to my NES classic last year and then just finding a SNES classic in the wild today, I come to hack it and it's still just as easy, but feels more "complete" if that makes any sense. My main focus on both of them was SNES games so the built-in emulator they're using being able to run most of my games natively helps a lot. the updates to hakchi since I last used it are great. I think the only "problem" is there not being an easy way to apply the CRT filter without the bilinear using the mod. It all has to be run with the command-line switch and I don't want to go through 70+ games to enter that manually. :|
Are you using these hmods? https://github.com/KMFDManic/NESC-SNESC-Modifications

They come with an optional pack of 500 filters.

JP

Mar 7, 2010
  • JP

JP

If you are doing it via the command line prompt, you don't need to do it to each game. I don't have access to mine right now but in one of the top menus there is a global command line filter which will do it for all the games.