• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study finds Dolphins use vocal language to solve problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

Bottlenose dolphins have been observed chattering while cooperating to solve a tricky puzzle – a feat that suggests they have a type of vocalisation dedicated to cooperating on problem solving.
Holli Eskelinen of Dolphins Plus research institute in Florida and her colleagues at the University of Southern Mississippi presented a group of six captive dolphins with a locked canister filled with food. The canister could only be opened by simultaneously pulling on a rope at either end.

The team conducted 24 canister trials, during which all six dolphins were present. Only two of the dolphins ever managed to crack the puzzle and get to the food.

The successful pair was prolific, though: in 20 of the trials, the same two adult males worked together to open the food canister in a matter of 30 seconds. In the other four trials, one of the dolphins managed to solve the problem on its own, but this was much trickier and took longer to execute.

But the real surprise came from recordings of the vocalisations the dolphins made during the experiment. The team found that when the dolphins worked together to open the canister, they made more vocalisations than they did while opening the canister on their own or when there was either no canister present or no interaction with the canister in the pool.

Importantly, the researchers were able to show that the increase in chatter was directly related to the canister-opening task as opposed to social interactions between the dolphins.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...uage-that-helps-them-solve-problems-together/

More at the link.

But it's pretty amazing to think they have discovered another species which uses language to solve problems. Spoken language is also a key to having an advanced society.

This reminds me of a story I heard about jacques cousteau who said he witnessed dolphins all sitting around chatting beforw they went off on their merry way.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Makes you wonder just how smart they really are...

Whales and Dolphins are probably some of the smartest animals on the planet next to humanity. Also Crows are pretty damn clever and so Octopi are great problem solvers and communicators.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I've never been able to read anything about dolphins without that famous thread popping into my head. I mean, dolphins are ruined for me.

Famassu

How fast can we drive this competing species to extinction?
If we continue overfishing, acidifying oceans, destroying corals, throwing millions of tons of plastic crap into oceans, leaking metric craptons of oil & other shit to oceans etc., it won't take all that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom