• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #188 - "Harmony"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezumi

Theme - "Harmony"

Word Limit: 2500

Submission Deadline: Friday, May 13th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, May 14th and goes until Monday, May 16th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Optional Secondary Objective: Collaboration

Work with another gaffer to write your story!
I don't know about you guys but I thought the last time we did this was a lot of fun. Here's how it's gonna work. Everyone who wants to do the secondary has to declare this in the thread until Thursday night (PST). I will then create random pair-ups and those two people get to write their story together. Pairs will also get double the word count, so 5000 words. Should we have an uneven number of participants we'll make a group of three and they'll get a whooping 7500 words to work with. The writing period will also be extended one week.

As for how the writing collaborating might work in general. Cyan had some pretty good points in the last thread.

It probably depends most on the working styles of the two writers, but I'm envisioning something like this:
-"meet up" on IRC or google video chat or some such to talk through plot ideas
-hash out the basic structure of the story, divvy up resposibilities
-write the story in a shared Google Doc so each person can see what the other is doing/has done
-when it's complete, each writer does a full edit passthrough to get the voices to kind of meet in the middle

There are other ways. The novel Sorcery and Cecelia, which is an epistolary story where two characters exchange letters, was written by Pat Wrede and Caroline Stevermer literally just exchanging letters as though they were the characters, and then compiling them into a book when they were done. You might have multiple POVs where each writer writes one character's POV and they have distinct voices, and you trade scenes and comment on each other's stuff. You might literally sit down together and do all the writing as a pair (I can't imagine this working for me). You might both be discovery writers and go in different directions, then find a way to make it all meld.

Could be anything!

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per (two) poster(s).
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Mike M

Nick N
You're still down for the secondary though, right?
I had a pretty awful experience collaborating in the past (to be clear, it wasn't the last time we did this secondary). I'm open to considering it if anyone specifically wants to work with me, I guess.

Nezumi

I had a pretty awful experience collaborating in the past (to be clear, it wasn't the last time we did this secondary). I'm open to considering it if anyone specifically wants to work with me, I guess.

OK, I'll put you down with a question mark for now. I'm all for making the pairings random, but that doesn't mean there can't be exceptions.

Nezumi

Probably :D

Personally I think it would be fun collaborating with him but my procrastinating might just drive him insane...

I've got a shiny new degree so my time is far more open.

I'm in. And this time I'm really in, not the kind of in where I post interest on the day the new thread goes up then disappear.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Willing to try again. I'm down for the secondary if anyone will have me. Or if anyone needs a sandbag for that matter.

Nezumi

I thought it went really well. Otherwise I wouldn't have done it again :D I think out of the 10 or so pair-ups only one didn't write their story. And yes, I think there was a horror story but I'm not a 100% sure.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I was just thinking it was about time to do a collab challenge. So I am in for this.

How did collaborations go last time? Any horror stories?

My story with Metaphoreus was a collaboration space horror story. Despite some artistic differences, my one time experience was something I'd call enjoyable.

Ward

I can collaborate, but I don't mind if I don't get a partner either.

Last time collaboration was fun. I'd definitely do it again

I'm probably gonna have a story for this one since I finally have so much free time.

I'm probably going to procrastinate a lot since I finally have so much free time.

Ashes

Banned
I'm in. I guess.
If I fall in with someone new to the thread, and you happen to be reading this post, you ought to know that I only write magical-realism stories; and abhor literary fiction.
And 100% of my stories include a sumo wrestler. And er.. Fisherman.
But in the spirit of cooperation I am willing to write literary fiction.

Nezumi

I'm probably gonna have a story for this one since I finally have so much free time.

I'm probably going to procrastinate a lot since I finally have so much free time.

Do you want to try your hand on the secondary? It might actually help with the procrastinating.

Unless you end up with me of course :D

Tangent

Congrats, Nezumi!!! Collaborative writing! Bound to work better than pair programming.

I had a total blast working with Tangent. We actually talked about doing it again on our own but haven't gotten around to it.
This made my day! Right back at you! Yeah, I was thinking of that too. We really gotta get on that.

Nezumi

A little more then 24 hours to sign up for the secondary. So far we have:

Azih
Applemancer
Red
mu cephei
Dandy Crocodile
midramble
Flowers
Cyan
Ward
Ashes
Tangent
Nezumi
felon

Question marks are:

Mike
Sober

Compared to last time the turn out is rather low this time.

im going in alone. i have so much on my mind right now with graduation and im not really a good teammate lol. i want my full flexibility.

Applemancer

Neo Member
I had the embryo of an idea, but it died once I remembered how bad I am at dialogue. If I can scrounge up anything more presentable, well...We'll see.

felon

Neo Member
Collaboration sounds like a clusterfuck of a good time! Consider me signed up and god save whoever I'm paired with. Don't worry, I'm prepared to be less experimental and offbeat this time if it helps.

Nezumi

And here are the pairings for this round.

Flowers , Red

Tangent , Azih

Cyan , Mike M

Nezumi , Ashes

Dandy Crocodile, mu cephei

felon , Applemancer

Ward , midramble

I'll send out PM's to everyone to inform them and after that it's up to you guys how you organize yourself! Have fun collaborating!

Ashes

Banned
Woohoo! See yah on the 13th Nez!
Edit: BTW, if anyone is odd one out, feel free to join our gang - providing Nez says it's okay. But do note we Europeans are a more relaxed bunch. We'll only do about ten to twenty drafts.

Mike M

Nick N
Cyan , Mike M
mecha_shiva_by_sirpreacher.png

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'll probably have a go at this one but I will work alone. It's easier for me.

Cyan

Banned
I don't want to scare anyone, but Mike and I are just starting our 20th draft.

Do people still want to do a hangout tomorrow, given the unusual setup for this challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom