• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX launching in March to make sure there are games to go along with it

L~A

They got burned with the 3DS, then Wii U launch. Can't blame them (that is, if the game actually are ready in March).

It's a valid reason shrouded completely in an invalid reason.

What in the F have they been working on for the past like 3 years?

You don't miss a major holiday season lightly.

If I'm being honest that's perfectly understandable. I don't think the March 2017 is such a bad thing really. Make sure the games are there and that they are quality Nintendo. By and large they're output has been really weak over 2015 and seemingly 2016. Hopefully that means all hands on deck to make the NX launch great.

DJIzana

This isn't a good thing, in my opinion. They miss the boat with Final Fantasy XV (should they actually get some proper 3rd party support) or any other game. Persona 5 too if that comes out this year and if those were to come with NX.

RowdyReverb

Having a bevy of intriguing launch titles is essential for this platform, especially since it probably won't be competitive on other fronts.

BD1

Banned
I don't believe that. At least not totally. Has the whole EPD been working on Zelda for the last 3 years?

I think their R&D on NX is fucked and they need more time to make it work.

And the games will be ready a couple of months later by March..?.

I totally understand the reasoning, but it baffles me that they didn't have the games ready for the end of this year, that should've been the priority.

jblank83

They got burned with the 3DS...

I remember the 3DS launch. It was pretty miserable. I sunk 100+ hours into a lackluster port of SF IV, 100% completed a mediocre Pilotwings, but at least got to play the very good Ghost Recon Shadow Wars.

Son Of D

Understandable but is there going to be anything to play on Wii U and 3DS between now and then?

3DS has Pokemon and Dragon Quest. That's it as far as I know.
Wii U has Paper Mario and...? I honestly won't be surprised if a small team is working on a remaster just to fill in the gaps.

This sort of feeds into the rumor Emily Rogers had about the software lineup being stacked at launch. If they need time to finish games, the launch games should hopefully be plentiful.

And it's not just about games being ready for launch. The problem for Nintendo for a long time has been post-launch and beyond.

They shouldn't launch NX until they are ready with a good launch lineup AND with the plan in place for a steady release of exclusive software through the rest of 2017.

If they weren't going to be at that stage by the end of 2016, then this was the right move, even if it means missing the holiday. It just means they'll need to build momentum for a holiday 2017 that will be critical for them.

Ashby

3DS has Pokemon and Dragon Quest. That's it as far as I know.
Wii U has Paper Mario and...? I honestly won't be surprised if a small team is working on a remaster just to fill in the gaps.

Yeah, that's right, forgot about that. I wouldn't be surprised if having a Pokemon for this holiday season was a big reason they felt they could delay NX.

gogogow

It's funny how people are:Wii U has no games! What! My money is going to PSVR, PS4K!

Nintendo misses the holiday for NX for obvious reasons. Like Nintendo wants to intentionally miss the holiday....

Seems Nintendo really learned this time and don't wanna rush the launch of a new console and make sure there are enough (quality) games day one.

But no matter what Nintendo does, they always loses.

Mik317

this is a good thing. shit launches have plauged them for a while. At least they know this much.

Zelda, Mario , Smash and Mario Maker ports (perhaps Splatoon), and hopefully some actual 3rd party support that isn't just ports...and its the best launch since the 64 imo.

I for one am shocked that the company whose last two big platforms struggled out the gate because the software lineup wasn't where it needed to be would choose to delay their next platform until it has a better lineup.

Astral Dog

Its for the best then, whats the point if not even ZELDAcan be released, Wii U needed six more months in the oven too.
Nintendo wont release another Wii again, but at least they can be sure to not mess up like Wii U

Trevelyan

Banned
After the awful drought of Wii U, this is a good thing. Launch in March with 2-3 games, have another ready by May, and then more once the holiday season rolls around in August/Sept.

lyrick

Why bother? Even the best selling consoles launched with crap software availability. The Wii U and Xbox One (Japan launch) had record breaking quantities of titles, it sure didn't help them.

Nintendo needs to realize that the other platform does very well by selling the "possibility"of future games, not necessarily available games.

I'm ok with the delay. I just don't understand why they don't show a trailer about some upcoming NX games at E3. I mean it was releasing in 2016 right?

Hopefully it won't end up like the Wii U launch, a large amount of games but a noticeable percentage being average ports. Mass Effect 3 and Batman Arkham City were alright, but I think I'd rather play both of them on the PS3 again.

jblank83

And the games will be ready a couple of months later by March..?.

4-5 months of development is significant, especially in the final QA stages. Sometimes things don't work and you have to fix-test-confirm again and again.

It's one of the more important periods of development. You can cut features early on. Later in the cycle you have to fix it, even if it's time consuming to do so.

Still no excuse for why they aren't showing anything NX-related at E3. They need all the exposure they can get.

EDIT: The delay itself doesn't bother me, tho it's going to make things MUCH tougher for them. It's this idea that they somehow benefit in the long run by skipping free press at E3. Western press in particular, which is what Nintendo needs most.

It's funny how people are:Wii U has no games! What! My money is going to PSVR, PS4K!

Nintendo misses the holiday for NX for obvious reasons. Like Nintendo wants to intentionally miss the holiday....

Seems Nintendo really learned this time and don't wanna rush the launch of a new console and make sure there are enough (quality) games day one.

But no matter what Nintendo does, they always loses.

It is perfectly reasonable to be angry with Nintendo. Their output over 2015 - 2016 is very poor. Hopefully this will be corrected with the NX and it seems Nintendo is trying to right the ship.

Anth0ny

Every generation, Satoru Iwata tells investors, gamers, and retailers that they will avoid major software droughts because these can kill a platform’s momentum after launch. Satoru Iwata never learns from anything. He always says he has learned from past mistakes, but his actions never show it. Instead, every single generation, all we get from him is a whole bunch of “Please understand” and “I apologize for the inconvenience”.

Here’s some examples.

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum."

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...0607qa/02.html

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/10/iwat...ware-with-3ds/

Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.

“As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...on-iwata-vows/

Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

NX launching in March to make sure there are games to go along with it

When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

Top Bottom