• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX launching in March to make sure there are games to go along with it

Griss

The question is whether it's their games that aren't ready (and if so, after all this time... wtf), or whether they've realised that getting third parties dev kits now will NOT be good enough to get ports for launch.

I'm really hoping it's the latter.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
this is a good thing. shit launches have plauged them for a while. At least they know this much.

Zelda, Mario , Smash and Mario Maker ports (perhaps Splatoon), and hopefully some actual 3rd party support that isn't just ports...and its the best launch since the 64 imo.

Wat? The 64 launched with like, three to five games or something stupid tiny like that?

Nintendo's best launch was Wii because of Wii Sports. That's never coming back again. lol

They say this every time.

That's fine and good, but simply skipping the holiday season (nobody with a brain will buy a WiiU this holiday season) seems like the latest in a series of compounding mistakes.

There is reason to worry, even if the reason is genuine.

Galang

Banned
I remember a lot of people saying Nintendo should have waited a few extra months before launching the 3DS & Wii U due to the barren release schedule at the time. If this will prevent a repeat of that then I don't see the problem. Though they've said this many times before..

Davey Cakes

It's a sound decision.

Games sell consoles. If Nintendo is planning for a strong and diverse launch and launch window, it means they want to hit the ground running. The 3DS and Wii U launched at unfavorable price points with merely decent launch games. Nintendo wants to try a new strategy, that is, being 100% ready with a product and games that people will want on day 1.

The wait will be painful but likely worth it for us, too.

Plum

I'm not going to trust them until I've seen the launch window lineup (so until September 2017 I'd say). That way I'm not disappointed if it turns out to be another mediocre launch and I'll be hyped to hell if it turns out to be a great launch.

Anth0ny

Wat? The 64 launched with like, three to five games or something stupid tiny like that?

Nintendo's best launch was Wii because of Wii Sports. That's never coming back again. lol

when you launch with mario 64, you have one of the greatest launches of all time.

quality > quantity

if they released NX with Galaxy 3 and nothing else I'd consider that one of the greatest launches ever

Every generation, Satoru Iwata tells investors, gamers, and retailers that they will avoid major software droughts because these can kill a platform’s momentum after launch. Satoru Iwata never learns from anything. He always says he has learned from past mistakes, but his actions never show it. Instead, every single generation, all we get from him is a whole bunch of “Please understand” and “I apologize for the inconvenience”.

Here’s some examples.

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum."

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...0607qa/02.html

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/10/iwat...ware-with-3ds/

Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.

“As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...on-iwata-vows/

Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

OUCH. That is starting to look shockingly similar to the famous MS promises to PC gamers list.

Huddy

It seems a no-brainer in reality. I'm sure Nintendo know that the launch line up and first year is going to have a massive impact on whether this console is a success.

If the games just aren't going to be cooked in time then delay the console release.

Guymelef

Zelda launching in March to make sure there are no games to go along Wii U this holidays.

Also We will have launch window titles delayed as always...

So stuff will be ready come March and they still can't show shit at E3? I don't get it.

That's my biggest question. Even with the release pushed to March (if they even make that remains to be seen) I still have trouble seeing why coming empty handed to E3 is warranted? Do Nintendo have their own live special event planned or do they not see E3 as a credible trade-show?

Ansatz

The thing is by the time NX launches it will have been more than 3 years since the last time Retro Studios released a game, and who knows if it's even going to feature during the launch window and not saved as a H2 title. I worry that Nintendo has mismanaged their dev teams because many of their studios should be ready to release a game very soon.

The other possibility is them deliberately holding onto finished games for schedule/momentum reasons.

Mik317

Why bother? Even the best selling consoles launched with crap software availability. The Wii U and Xbox One (Japan launch) had record breaking quantities of titles, it sure didn't help them.

Nintendo needs to realize that the other platform does very well by selling the "possibility"of future games, not necessarily available games.

because they need to show that they are serious? Releasing with yet another shit launch when the PS4 and XB1 are hitting their stride is suicide. Look at all this cool shit is probably the best way to sell the console at this point. Showing those who were burnt on the Wii U launch lack of titles is a good way to show improvement.

(also the PS4 and XB1 success was due to thirst for next gen....the NX does not have that at all)

oti

Banned
I agree.
All early adopters got burned software-wise this gen.

Sure. Now, will there be a drought after launch? Both Wii and Wii U were bad in that regard. Wii was kinda OK though, Wii Sports was THE party game for months for me and my friends and family.

spliced

People weren't happy with Wii U, PS4 or XBOX1 launch line ups, at some point people have to temper their expectations a bit.

King_Moc

Banned
Every generation, Satoru Iwata tells investors, gamers, and retailers that they will avoid major software droughts because these can kill a platform’s momentum after launch. Satoru Iwata never learns from anything. He always says he has learned from past mistakes, but his actions never show it. Instead, every single generation, all we get from him is a whole bunch of “Please understand” and “I apologize for the inconvenience”.

Here’s some examples.

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum."

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...0607qa/02.html

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/10/iwat...ware-with-3ds/

“As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...on-iwata-vows/

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

Yep. Happens every damn time. Nintendo have been my favourite gaming company since the 80's, but i'm just getting tired of this now.

Eliseo

If I'm being honest that's perfectly understandable. I don't think the March 2017 is such a bad thing really. Make sure the games are there and that they are quality Nintendo. By and large they're output has been really weak over 2015 and seemingly 2016. Hopefully that means all hands on deck to make the NX launch great.

It is not, I think the problem people have at the moment is that no NX hw/sw at E3.

gogogow

It is perfectly reasonable to be angry with Nintendo. Their output over 2015 - 2016 is very poor. Hopefully this will be corrected with the NX and it seems Nintendo is trying to right the ship.

I don't agree. It would be perfectly reasonable to be angry IF they are rushing the launch AGAIN. But they are not, like I said, for the obvious reasons.

The NX NEVER had a 2016 release date to begin with. It's within their right, but people getting mad are just funny to me.

Every generation, Satoru Iwata tells investors, gamers, and retailers that they will avoid major software droughts because these can kill a platform’s momentum after launch. Satoru Iwata never learns from anything. He always says he has learned from past mistakes, but his actions never show it.

This is the first time since Satoru Iwata took the helm that it's obvious Nintendo actually delayed their platform's launch because it wasn't going to be ready.

(also the PS4 and XB1 success was due to thirst for next gen....the NX does not have that at all)

I'd argue that PS4 and Xbox One success was due more to it becoming clear that the bulk of games going forward were going to be coming to PS4 and Xbox One. (Particularly PS4.)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Lol

Even more embarassing. So much for their streamlined software output, their improved hd development know how and their wiiu barren lineup.

Zebei

Yikes

Well. . . maybe NX will a New Xperience in launch?

. . .

:(

Red Devil

Well, perhaps it's for the better.

Now hopefully it won't be to the point where they make me want to pick one game over the other, but I doubt that'll be the case.

emb

My impression is that Zelda, already being a delayed 2015 game, is getting pushed back soley because NX is late. I wish they would have just launched the NX with only Zelda. Who cares about other games, they'll get there eventually. Or not. I don't care.

I realize that's ridiculous, and I'm not suggesting it in any serious capacity. Just driven a little mad from the delays today. :)

I don't agree. It would be perfectly reasonable to be angry IF they are rushing the launch AGAIN. But they are not, like I said, for the obvious reasons.

The NX NEVER had a 2016 release date to begin with. It's within their right, but people getting mad are just funny to me.

I mean.....if you are a Nintendo gamer how can you not be upset with the Wii U's software lineup over 2015 and 2016? It has had absolutely awful support from Nintendo. Hell 2016 as of now looks like they've all but abandoned it

Stevey

Suppose it takes time to get a decent launch library ready when you don't have third party support.

Like many have said, it still doesn't make sense why they can't show the NX at E3. Nintendo's in-house games should be far into the development or nearly completed at this point. Why can't they show any of those? I'm not saying he's lying but I don't think games are the only reason the NX got delayed.

Ansatz

Yep. Happens every damn time. Nintendo have been my favourite gaming company since the 80's, but i'm just getting tired of this now.

That's why they need the shared library thing so they can focus on only supporting one platform instead of two, that would be one heck of a system.

Top Bottom