• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX launching in March to make sure there are games to go along with it

Even more embarassing. So much for their streamlined software output, their improved hd development know how and their wiiu barren lineup.

Streamlined software output just means less time moving back and forth between console and handheld development and less of a split between console and handheld teams that keeps Nintendo from working on lots of stuff for both.

It doesn't suddenly truncate the development periods for software on a brand-new architecture to less than two years.

Every generation, Satoru Iwata tells investors, gamers, and retailers that they will avoid major software droughts because these can kill a platform’s momentum after launch. Satoru Iwata never learns from anything. He always says he has learned from past mistakes, but his actions never show it. Instead, every single generation, all we get from him is a whole bunch of “Please understand” and “I apologize for the inconvenience”.

Here’s some examples.

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum."

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...0607qa/02.html

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/10/iwat...ware-with-3ds/

Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.

“As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...on-iwata-vows/

Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

And yet we already see so many Nintendo-stans acting delusional and thinking this news isn't code word for something else :/

VariantX

Considering how pathetic the last 2 launches were with the long software droughts, this is fine. Considering what's at stake for them, it's best to give a good impression that the hardware will receive a steady stream of software titles. Even sony got burned pretty good outside the PS4 launch with a drought thst lasted a few months.

Guymelef

Every generation, Satoru Iwata tells investors, gamers, and retailers that they will avoid major software droughts because these can kill a platform’s momentum after launch. Satoru Iwata never learns from anything. He always says he has learned from past mistakes, but his actions never show it. Instead, every single generation, all we get from him is a whole bunch of “Please understand” and “I apologize for the inconvenience”.

Here’s some examples.

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum."

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

“As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

I say wow.

Why bother? Even the best selling consoles launched with crap software availability. The Wii U and Xbox One (Japan launch) had record breaking quantities of titles, it sure didn't help them.

Nintendo needs to realize that the other platform does very well by selling the "possibility"of future games, not necessarily available games.

I think it's more important that they have a steady stream of content post launch.

And yet we already see so many Nintendo-stans acting delusional and thinking this news isn't code word for something else :/

Satoru Iwata never delayed a platform launch to wait for software.

Also, software lineup was never an issue for Wii. Tons of great games in its first year. It wasn't until the second half of 2008 that we ran into droughts, and that was probably a factor of Wii MotionPlus.

Why bother? Even the best selling consoles launched with crap software availability. The Wii U and Xbox One (Japan launch) had record breaking quantities of titles, it sure didn't help them.

Nintendo needs to realize that the other platform does very well by selling the "possibility"of future games, not necessarily available games.

Wii U's January Direct showed tons of future games, and did jack shit to help the console do "very well."

Pinky

Banned
Well, it's understandable. When I read all the news this morning, lack of a good launch lineup was one of the first things I thought of. That and the possibility that they want to wait for better chips and upgrade the HW beyond where it currently sits.

Here’s some examples.

This is brutal. Maybe Kimishima breaks the cycle. Maybe.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Streamlined software output just means less time moving back and forth between console and handheld development and less of a split between console and handheld teams that keeps Nintendo from working on lots of stuff for both.

It doesn't suddenly truncate the development periods for software on a brand-new architecture to less than two years.

Looking at their first party output on 3ds and wiiu they had more than two years to prepare a decent enough lineup for an holiday release

Kikorin

Maybe launch games would be ready for holiday season, but I hope they are working to have a really good support for the rest of the year too.

aBarreras

you are telling people are delusional while talking about a conspiracy.

i really dont care for having a lot of games at launch, i still havent bought zombi u, NSMB U or a lot of launch window games, because they arent cheap here in mexico, just gimme zelda at launch and we are set

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
THIS time it'll be different

THIS time there won't be droughts

seriously guys

you gotta believe me

Way too many actions taken and put in place, with several reports on the matter, to say it's going to be like the last times, seriously.

jblank83

People weren't happy with Wii U, PS4 or XBOX1 launch line ups, at some point people have to temper their expectations a bit.

I'm still not happy with the PS4 library. The output from Japanese developers has fallen through the floor since the late/end of last generation. They all jumped on mobile and decided dedicated gaming hardware was dead. Now they're having to reverse that decision. Unfortunately, that takes time and we aren't going to see the results until the end of 2016 at earliest.

KAL2006

Banned
What a shit show perhaps they should have scheduled their development to ensure games were easy this fall. Nintendo continue to fail.

openrob

Wait wait wait wait wait.

This thing will be release in MARCH 2017.
E3 is in June.

NX will NOT be revealed at E3 at all??
Are they out of their fucking minds?

aBarreras

What a shit show perhaps they should have scheduled their development to ensure games were easy this fall. Nintendo continue to fail.

lol? really? mark the calendar guys so these games are ready this fall! no pressures.

thats not how game development works!

The_Lump

Banned
And this isn't just games to launch it with, either.

Nintendo have to ensure there is a steady pipeline of games over the console's first couple of years if they want a shot at getting back some semblance of market share.

Sephzilla

I think Nintendo is out of their goddamn minds not having the NX at E3, but skipping a holiday launch so that there's actually games to go with the system is a move I admire.

If this is the real reason, it's exactly to prevent this from happening again.

They better deliver an incredible launch line-up.

gamerMan

That's fine but at least show the games as E3 to get people excited. When do they plan on showing the NX? E3 would have been the perfect time as it's a large stage. The system is going to release in March but most people will not even know.

Considering how pathetic the last 2 launches were with the long software droughts, this is fine. Considering what's at stake for them, it's best to give a good impression that the hardware will receive a steady stream of software titles. Even sony got burned pretty good outside the PS4 launch with a drought thst lasted a few months.

they dont have games because they don't have an idea that works.

Nintendo prides themselves in developing games and hardware at the same time.

Wii had awesome games at launch ( if you were their audience )

So i don't believe anything, they just have nothing to show, Thats all. Its the wii u all over again

gogogow

Lol

Even more embarassing. So much for their streamlined software output, their improved hd development know how and their wiiu barren lineup.

Lol, games still needs to be developed, you can't do it just with a snap of a finger. You are delusional if you think so.

I am ok with this, take your time Nintendo. BTW nothing is going to change the Wii U situation at this point, dont rush anything.

THIS time it'll be different

THIS time there won't be droughts

seriously guys

you gotta believe me
To be fair this is a new president. We could at least wait until they show their cards before passing judgement. At the very least he was able to recognize that the games weren't ready and there needed to be more development time. Hopefully by giving them a few months we won't have another Wii U situation where the OS was terrible, Miiverse was buggy, there were barely any compelling titles for the system on top of software droughts, and there were hardware shortages at some places. Overall, a terrible launch and maybe Kishima recognizes that and is trying to prevent that from happening again.

However, this is Nintendo so who knows. I'm not expecting them to fix all of their issues with NX.

Parapraxis

Do the teach Nintendo apologetics courses at universities? Some people simply CANNOT find any fault in dear Nintendo.

At what point did they finally realize "oh the WiiU is failing, guess we should actually start looking to the future"? the start of this year?

Terrible output, and little done on a new system, it's embarrassing.

Red Devil

Like many have said, it still doesn't make sense why they can't show the NX at E3. Nintendo's in-house games should be far into the development or nearly completed at this point. Why can't they show any of those? I'm not saying he's lying but I don't think games are the only reason the NX got delayed.

Perhaps with the other games they want to take the opposite approach of showing CGI years before the game is finished.

Maybe launch games would be ready for holiday season, but I hope they are working to have a really good support for the rest of the year too.

Well it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo delays games that are ready to launch to accomodate to different windows.

After the WiiU, I absolutely can't blame them. That abysmal launch lineup is a big reason why the console never gained a foothold, and thus why third parties had already ditched by the time Nintendo's best efforts were being released.

The NX needs a library that makes it worth a purchase on day one. Remaster every WiiU game under the sun. Buy up every abandoned project imaginable. Put every studio under your umbrella into goddamn overdrive - just make it happen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Most of their internal teams have been MIA for a few years.

It's only logical fans would wonder what they've been up to. Most of the recent or soon to be released 1st party published software has been handled at least partially by an outside team.

So people are left wondering what Nintendo's internal studios have been doing since we haven't gotten games from them in a while.

Nintendo is out of excuses this time if the launch lineup is lackluster.

KAL2006

Banned
lol? really? mark the calendar guys so these games are ready this fall! no pressures.

thats not how game development works!

True that however every developer has a schedule. Polyphonys timing of GT6 releasing while PS4 launched was another dumb idea.

If Nintendo knew they wanted a system to launch this fall, 2 or 3 years back they should have planned to have software ready.

To be fair this is a new president. We could at least wait until they show their cards before passing judgement. At the very least he was able to recognize that the games weren't ready and there needed to be more development time. Hopefully by giving them a few months we won't have another Wii U situation where the OS was terrible, Miiverse was buggy, there were barely any compelling titles for the system on top of software droughts, and there were hardware shortages at some places. Overall, a terrible launch and maybe Kishima recognizes that and is trying to prevent that from happening again.

However, this is Nintendo so who knows. I'm not expecting them to fix all of their issues with NX.

So they need a few months for their shitty OS to no be shitty? You can not fix such things in a few months. Wii U OS was not rushed, they just do not know how to create a good OS.

Lol, games still needs to be developed, you can't do it just with a snap of a finger. You are delusional if you think so.

I don't think anyone is claiming otherwise. But it's pretty clear they're severely lagging behind in software for the thing and this is just a desperation move to have any semblance of launch lineup. Doesn't exactly instill much confidence. Nintendo wouldn't miss a holiday season unless there's reason to be believe it would be a huge disaster if they released it then.

Ydelnae

If it's actually for this very reason, then I'm less upset. But if the system launches and the only thing we get for 6 months is Zelda, Smash, Splatoon ports, another New Super Mario Bros game and late PS4 ports then they can keep the console unreleased. I'm not buying it until the system is at least one year old, I'm not failing for the same shit again.

all those times they didnt do shit, they just talked. Atleast now they are skipping the holidays to avoid launching a console with no games. Now dont get me wrong, Im not buying this shit
near launch unless they prove they have the support for it.

Jawmuncher

Makes sense. With how shrouded in secrecy it has been. I expected the launch for Holiday if they kept it to be quite sparse.

Top Bottom