• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX launching in March to make sure there are games to go along with it

Satoru Iwata never delayed a platform launch to wait for software.

Also, software lineup was never an issue for Wii. Tons of great games in its first year. It wasn't until the second half of 2008 that we ran into droughts, and that was probably a factor of Wii MotionPlus.
And because the Wii was still selling ridiculously well through 2009, they weren't in any real rush to get more games out. Barring the NX being a similar sort of cultural phenomenon like the Wii, it's very important for them to get through that first year without any serious droughts this time.

Looking at their first party output on 3ds and wiiu they had more than two years to prepare a decent enough lineup for an holiday release
But enough time and resources to prepare a steady, consistent lineup of games post-launch and through the rest of 2017? That's the bigger question. I'm sure they could have launched this November with Zelda and probably a few other games, but then would we be waiting until late spring/summer for the next big game(s) from them?

To me, and I'm sure it's the same way for them, the post-launch flow of software is a lot more important than what they have on launch day. Building momentum towards a Holiday 2017 is something they can do with a good March launch and a strong lineup through the remainder of the year. A Holiday 2016 launch followed by another drought is just another repeat of past mistakes.

Femto.

All this doom and gloom surrounding Nintendo right now because the NX will miss the holiday season. At least what I noticed from the thread that went up during the conference call.

Okay.

If the console has quality games launching with it I'm sure Nintendo will be fine. I love watching GAF melt down.

Clov

If they're delaying till March to have a good launch line-up, they better have a strong lineup. I want there to be more than two first party games that I'm interested in at launch.

MacTag

Banned
It's 3DS/Wii U all over again. Sometimes it's important to make your release date even if you have a thinner lineup to go with it.

I don't think anyone is claiming otherwise. But it's pretty clear they're severely lagging behind in software for the thing and this is just a desperation move to have any semblance of launch lineup. Doesn't exactly instill much confidence. Nintendo wouldn't miss a holiday season unless there's reason to be believe it would be a huge disaster if they released it then.

You are totally right. they are lagging. remember how the wii was announced? I will cross post form another thread.

1) The showed the console, not the controller. The said it was a console that could play ALL nintendo games. People were very intrigued.

2) They showed the controller, not the games. Everyone was confused or amazed.

3) They announced the name before e3 so it would not gather attention.

4) They showed lots of games in e3. the doors would open and you could see people running towards Nintendo stand.

5) They had an amazing ad campaign "We would like to play"

Compare that to how the wii u was handled, and how NX is being handled.

They have nothing to show.

joedick

Every generation, Satoru Iwata tells investors, gamers, and retailers that they will avoid major software droughts because these can kill a platform’s momentum after launch. Satoru Iwata never learns from anything. He always says he has learned from past mistakes, but his actions never show it. Instead, every single generation, all we get from him is a whole bunch of “Please understand” and “I apologize for the inconvenience”.

Here’s some examples.

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum."

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...0607qa/02.html

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/10/iwat...ware-with-3ds/

Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.

“As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...on-iwata-vows/

Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

NX launching in March to make sure there are games to go along with it

When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

Can't deny that's pretty crazy, but it's a bit unfair to put that last one in there when it's being done to avoid these issues. Whether it happens again or not remains to be seen of course.

-MB-

This sort of feeds into the rumor Emily Rogers had about the software lineup being stacked at launch. If they need time to finish games, the launch games should hopefully be plentiful.

I am not afraid fro launch lineup, but the fact they have to delay to have games for a luanch, makes me fear for the post launch lineup myself.
They clearly haven't gotten their ducks in a row when it comes to expanding internal teams for a steady stream of software, like they said they would.
Might have to hold off buying an NX day 1 to see if they can continue with a strady supply of new content myself.

Clov

All this doom and gloom surrounding Nintendo right now because the NX will miss the holiday season. At least what I noticed from the thread that went up during the conference call.

Okay.

If the console has quality games launching with it I'm sure Nintendo will be fine. I love watching GAF melt down.

I could deal with March. What I'm upset about is that it'll be missing E3. I was excited for that!

aBarreras

It's 3DS/Wii U all over again. Sometimes it's important to make your release date even if you have a thinner lineup to go with it.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? you are saying "tis 3DS/Wii U all over again" and then saying that they should do exactly what they did with 3DS/Wii U,

delaying the NX launch is exactly the opposite to 3DS/Wii U Situation

Does anyone else find it odd how Nintendo have now publicly announced the launch month for there console, but are still using it's codename?

At this point, it's going to even more jarring then Morpheus > PSVR.

I still don't know why the didn't wait and release this information, along side the product, title and specs and what not.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This reminds me of the long wait for the Nintendo 64. I made it through that so I can make it through this. My gut is telling me it sees a further delay to the forth quarter though.

I don't know, I think it's good that they don't have droughts. Which has happened since n64. Nintendo needs to bring the most amazing launch of all time though, if they don't I fear everyone will be underwhelmed.

I mean.....if you are a Nintendo gamer how can you not be upset with the Wii U's software lineup over 2015 and 2016? It has had absolutely awful support from Nintendo. Hell 2016 as of now looks like they've all but abandoned it

Can't speak for 2016 since there's still a lot of it left, but 2015 was arguably the strongest year the Wii U had for software with Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, and Yoshi's Wooly World just to name a few of the standouts.

Sephzilla

Honestly, the more I think about it, considering how the Wii-U stumbled I actually think the NX bypassing a holiday period might be a good thing. Even if it's a new system, the NX could potentially get lost a little bit in the wave of holiday-period sales since that time of the year is way overstuffed with new games. Even though it's a new system, the NX could get lost in that wave especially if it has a weak library.

Femto.

I could deal with March. What I'm upset about is that it'll be missing E3. I was excited for that!

I'll agree to that, don't understand why they only want to focus only on Zelda for Wii U for one of the biggest gaming conventions of the year.

Perhaps Gamescom (doubtful) or TGS?

The question is how long can they keep a steady flow of releases for, not just whether the launch day titles are good. Ideally, I'd like to see Zelda + 1 other big title, than another big branded game Nintendo game every month for the rest of the year, plus a bevy of indie titles on the eshop. Hopefully that'll be enough of a good start to pull third parties on , because it's still not possible, as far as I'm aware, for Nintendo to produce enough interesting content indefinitely to keep everyone happy.

Azriell

Yeah missing E3 is what really sucks. Nintendo can do a Nintendo Direct whenever, but a lot of us were looking forward to E3 to learn about what this thing is all about. Is worse than if Sony or Microsoft missed E3, because of the unpredictability of Nintendo products. I knew I wanted a PS4 and/or an XB1 before either was officially announced, but after the Wii and Wii U, I don't know if I want an NX yet.

Ansatz

Most of their internal teams have been MIA for a few years.

It's only logical fans would wonder what they've been up to. Most of the recent or soon to be released 1st party published software has been handled at least partially by an outside team.

So people are left wondering what Nintendo's internal studios have been doing since we haven't gotten games from them in a while.

Nintendo is out of excuses this time if the launch lineup is lackluster.

I think we need to define what people mean by "incredible" launch lineup and "not lackluster"

They are obviously not going to stack their system sellers at launch and video game sales have become hit driven as Iwata explained some time ago. I expect 2-3 flagship, huge games at launch (3D Mario and Zelda) with the rest being filler/ports and then roughly 1 big game per month

That would be an improvement over 3DS and Wii U. But I think the only ones who are delusional are those who expect an avalanche of great titles, stuff like F-Zero and Wave Race as part of the launch day lineup in addition to their flagship games. Those days are gone.

gogogow

I don't think anyone is claiming otherwise. But it's pretty clear they're severely lagging behind in software for the thing and this is just a desperation move to have any semblance of launch lineup. Doesn't exactly instill much confidence. Nintendo wouldn't miss a holiday season unless there's reason to be believe it would be a huge disaster if they released it then.

People wanted this thing in holiday 2016, december whatever, now it's coming in march and it's suddenly "severely lagging"?

What's with the hyperbole? Severely lagging in software, huge disaster. Maybe the games just needs a few extra months of polish?

dealer-

It's funny how people are:Wii U has no games! What! My money is going to PSVR, PS4K!

Nintendo misses the holiday for NX for obvious reasons. Like Nintendo wants to intentionally miss the holiday....

Seems Nintendo really learned this time and don't wanna rush the launch of a new console and make sure there are enough (quality) games day one.

But no matter what Nintendo does, they always loses.

It didn't help the Vita, hopefully they don't blow their load day one and have a solid stream of games for the first twelve months.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Melee HD or Metroid Prime or Galaxy/64/Sunshine Sequel for the NX and I will buy it day one regardless of whatever other bullshit there is.

Otherwise...meh. I hope this is worth the wait because Nintendo has been quiet for a long time.

joedick

when you launch with mario 64, you have one of the greatest launches of all time.

quality > quantity

if they released NX with Galaxy 3 and nothing else I'd consider that one of the greatest launches ever

If you go by that logic, the Wii launch was solid with Twilight Princess (port or not, it was the first time being released) and Wii Sports. After that, not so much. N64 had a fantastic day 1 but people were not happy with the droughts that followed soon after.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Honestly, the more I think about it, considering how the Wii-U stumbled I actually think the NX bypassing a holiday period might be a good thing. Even if it's a new system, the NX could potentially get lost a little bit in the wave of holiday-period sales since that time of the year is way overstuffed with new games. Even though it's a new system, the NX could get lost in that wave especially if it has a weak library.

What if PS4 Neo launches in March as well? NX could easily be forgotten there too.

aBarreras

dont use logic please, it is forbidden on the internet.

this how i see it, launching ALONE could be benefical for the NX, since the machine has a lot to prove, if it was launching on the holidays, people will be deciding between a PS4K and a NX, and since the PS4 is a proven platform, they probably go with the PS4K, at least launching in march, NX hasnt any direct competitors and it can gain momentum to the holiday season 2017

What if PS4 Neo launches in March as well? NX could easily be forgotten there too.

i gues they are gambling everything on this!

TAS

Does launching in 2017 increase the chance of them going with Polaris architecture? Also..March is a good month to launch since it's still early in the new year. I believe the PS2 launched in March of 2000 if I'm not mistaken.

Yep. Happens every damn time. Nintendo have been my favourite gaming company since the 80's, but i'm just getting tired of this now.

To be fair, Nintendo cranks out a ton of first party games, but has to split them between two parties. It is just more painful because of the lack of third party support to pad out the schedule.

Wait wait wait wait wait.

This thing will be release in MARCH 2017.
E3 is in June.

NX will NOT be revealed at E3 at all??
Are they out of their fucking minds?
I don't think it makes sense for them to unveil their new system while sharing the figurative stage with everyone else at E3. I felt that way when I believed it would come out in 2016 (that Nintendo should debut the system before E3), and I still believe that now (that Nintendo should debut the system after E3).

At E3, they'll be competing with Sony and Microsoft and dozens of other publishers/developers for headlines. Even if the NX were to be the biggest thing to come out of E3, it would still be one of many stories instead of THE story. Now that they're presumably launching next March, I think a summer/early fall Nintendo conference makes the most sense.

E3 is big, but more and more, Nintendo's presence at and around the show feels very isolated from everything else. I don't know how much it matters for them to actually attend E3 going forward. I'm not sure it's the same fit for them that it was 10-15 years ago.

People wanted this thing in holiday 2016, december whatever, now it's coming in march and it's suddenly "severely lagging"?

What's with the hyperbole? Severely lagging in software, huge disaster. Maybe the games just needs a few extra months of polish?

Again, look at the context.

You don't miss a holiday season for your new hardware unless you're doing it to avert a disaster of a launch. Obviously their first choice would be a holiday release if everything was going fine, but it's not.

There's a bigger difference between November and March than just 4 months.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Does launching in 2017 increase the chance of them going with Polaris architecture? Also..March is a good month to launch since it's still early in the new year. I believe the PS2 launched in March of 2000 if I'm not mistaken.

It was released on March 4, 2000, in Japan, October 26, 2000 in North America, November 24, 2000 in Europe, and November 17, 2000 in Australia.

Seik

Banned
Makes sense, since it was one of the Wii U's many problems at launch, thing was starving for games.

Sounds like a good decision to me then.

Top Bottom