• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 hates Uncharted 4

Hi friends!
Weeks ago, I downloaded U4 multiplayer beta. it worked normally in menus, but immediately after going to the game, it crashed and gave me error CE-34878-0. I hadn't played even 10 seconds of beta.
5 days ago, I bought U4 and it happened again! worked great in menus, but it crashed in the cutscene/gameplay. sometimes after 5,6 second and sometimes it took longer, but I couldn't play longer than 2,3 minutes. I downloaded updates, uninstalled and installed game again, rebuilt database and in the end initiallized my console, but...
I gave U4 to my friend and it works without any problem. So I thought maybe my console has a problem with U4 region 2? I bought another U4, this time region 1. but again...
I've played lots of games with my PS4 (for example R&C, Dark Souls 3 and Doom recently) and it's the first time I see anything like this.
Please help me. :((

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The most likely explanation is that your PS4 isn't working the way it should be at peak utilization.

ND uses a PS4 more efficiently than many other developers which in turn means this could be a problem only seen by a few games out of the full library available.

Hopefully you're still within the warranty period.

panda-zebra

From ps forums:

The error ce-34878-0 means an application has crashed so you will see it from time to time.

If you are are getting this error regularly, to the point where its making games unplayable then this indicates its not a normal crash and something is wrong.

If this is the case please follow the below troubleshooting steps:

If you are experiencing this ce-34878-0 error code, please close the application and then install the latest system software and game patch.

You can also try deleting and reinstalling the game or application that's affected.

If the error occurs again, initialise the PS4 system after back-up of the save data and please also submit any crash reports after re-booting your console when the error occurs.

If the troubleshooting does not prevent the frequent crashing then your console is likely in need of service. If this is the case please click here to run through some troubleshooting and arrange for a replacement console if required.

I have this issue too. (CE-34878-0) I have a retail copy and It crashes on the startup screen every time(without fail). It also happened in the UC4 MP beta. From what I've read, it's happening to launch consoles. I saw that some people are reporting it on the ND forums, so hopefully they notice. They'll probably ignore us tho.

The most likely explanation is that your PS4 isn't working the way it should be at peak utilization.

ND uses a PS4 more efficiently than many other developers which in turn means this could be a problem only seen by a few games out of the full library available.

That's really strange, but maybe you're right. I can't find other reasons for this.
We can't use warranty in Iran. :(

Weird.

Is it the same error no. in the retail game? Have you googled the error code?
Yes exactly same error. it stops and then give me that error every time.
I googled in those days of beta and saw lots of threads in everywhere (for other games like NBA 2K16), but all of them are saying same things like using rebuild data and initialize and ...

From ps forums:
Thanks.

I have this issue too. (CE-34878-0) I have a retail copy and It crashes on the startup screen every time(without fail). It also happened in the UC4 MP beta. From what I've read, it's happening to launch consoles. I saw that some people are reporting it on the ND forums, so hopefully they notice. They'll probably ignore us tho.
Thank you for information. so I'm not the only one. although my console isn't a launch one. it's TLoU bundle and I bought it early 2015.

Thought this would be about the ps4 turning into a jet engine while playing UC4
I imagine if your ps4 doesn't turn into a jet it does this instead (if that makes sense).

My ps4 is so loud that I can hear it with headphones on.. TW3 does a similar thing. I really hope they realise a quiet model.

I imagine if your ps4 doesn't turn into a jet it does this instead (if that makes sense).

My ps4 is so loud that I can hear it with headphones on.. TW3 does a similar thing. I really hope they realise a quiet model.
That actually does make sense...

Maybe a Ps4.5 makes sense if just a few years into the console cycle we have games that put so much strain on it..

Lagamorph

I've got a UK launch console and (so far at least) I haven't seen this error. The game does make my console sound like a jet engine at times mind.

benny_a

That actually does make sense...

Maybe a Ps4.5 makes sense if just a few years into the console cycle we have games that put so much strain on it..
It should be fine to put that much strain on it. It's just that the form factor they went with is not also capable of being quiet at the same time.

There is nothing super hard about dissipating 110-140 Watt. The challenge is doing it while also being small, cheap and doing so at a broad range of operating temperatures and humidity levels (mostly the smallness and cheapness though.)

Heartfyre

Thought this would be about the ps4 turning into a jet engine while playing UC4

I got my console last July, and my experience is a bit different compared to launch units, seemingly. There are people who say the fans are constantly blowing hard regardless of the game, but mine is whisper quiet...most of the time. With Uncharted 4, the fans go into jet mode only at the main menu. Once I get into a multiplayer game or the story mode, it returns to its relatively quiet state.

The only other game that makes my PS4 run like that is Final Fantasy XIV, and that's generally only during cut-scenes.

benny_a

I got my console last July, and my experience is a bit different compared to launch units, seemingly. There are people who say the fans are constantly blowing hard regardless of the game, but mine is whisper quiet...most of the time. With Uncharted 4, the fans go into jet mode only at the main menu. Once I get into a multiplayer game or the story mode, it returns to its relatively quiet state.

The only other game that makes my PS4 run like that is Final Fantasy XIV, and that's generally only during cut-scenes.
The later models have a lower power draw and then probably small improvements to the thermal dissipation.

The issue with some games in the main menu having the PS4 go into overdrive is a software bug where it just cranks out frames very fast because there is not much to do.

bede-x

so I'm not the only one. although my console isn't a launch one. it's TLoU bundle and I bought it early 2015.

You're definitely not the only one. I still get the error code from time to time and have yet to complete a game without it happening at least once, and the same goes for the friends I speak with on PSN/real life. There's been threads about it on Gaf before.

Diablos

Delete the game from your hard drive. Rebuild the database and then reinstall the game. If that doesn't work then you likely have a serious hardware issue. UC4 really takes advantage of the PS4, so that would explain why other games run ok. At some point they will probably start crashing too.

Wollan

Could be overheating/taxing your system causing software to become unstable. This happens when you overclock a CPU or GPU too much on a PC. The multi-threaded engine of UC4 is utilizing close to peak performance from all cores at most all times (check their GDC 2015 presentation).

Try to rebuild database like someone mentioned.

If that doesn't work then maybe opening your PS4 to clean out dust (for more effective cooling) will do it. Make sure there's enough breathing space surrounding your PS4.

You're definitely not the only one. I still get the error code from time to time and have yet to complete a game without it happening at least once, and the same goes for the friends I speak with on PSN/real life. There's been threads about it on Gaf before.
Yes I looked at ND forums and saw others have this problem too. I hope ND help us with this thing.

Did you guys try rebuilding the database? I find that usually fixes weird errors such as these. Good luck!
Delete the game from your hard drive. Rebuild the database and then reinstall the game. If that doesn't work then you likely have a serious hardware issue. UC4 really takes advantage of the PS4, so that would explain why other games run ok. At some point they will probably start crashing too.
Could be overheating/taxing your system causing software to become unstable. The multi-threaded engine of UC4 is utilizing close to peak performance from all cores at most all times (check their GDC 2015 presentation).

Try to rebuild database like someone mentioned.

If that doesn't work then maybe opening your PS4 to clean out dust (for more effective cooling) will do it. Make sure there's enough breathing space surrounding your PS4.
buy digital?

I did all these things (except cleaning PS4), but nothing has changed.
I read lots of posts about this on ND forums and other places like Youtube, and it seems it isn't related to old/new hardware and disc/digital version. it only happens for some unknown reasons! :|

You PS4 rates Uncharted 4 an 8.8
lol!

Diablos

Why would buying digital make any difference? It's the same game. The disc just copies it to the hard drive anyway.

Eggiem

Same here. I got the CUH-1200. Can't even hear my PS4 while playing. Maybe the fans spin in
the menus because the framerate is uncapped?!

Ledhead

I have gotten a number of crashes throughout my time with Uncharted sadly. I only crashed like 3 times during the story, but have probably racked up a dozen crashes just trying to play multiplayer

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I have a launch console and it happened to me. I had to reinstall and it worked fine all the way to the mid-game boat/ocean area.

It originally crashed in the opening boat scene.

i'm honestly not buying UC4 if it's likely to make my console so noisy i can't properly concentrate on the game. even Dark Souls 3 makes me fear for my PS4, so fucking loud it feels like it's going to explode.. it's ridiculous. and no my apartment is not too hot, i live in Finland.

PS3 was even more ridiculous with GTAV and TLoU, i literally just couldn't hear the dialogue many times because the console was going crazy. probably kept my neighbors up at night too.

come on Sony, next time release a console that allows me to enjoy the soundtracks and dialogue of games. TLoU apparently had a great soundtrack but how i could i know, i couldn't hear any of it.

holygeesus

Banned
My PS4 was a launch day model and has been loud since that day one. The flip-side to that is I've never had a single crash or issue during all the time I've had it, including UC4. Weird.

NewDust

I had the same error code in Q.U.B.E, where it would chrash immediatly after the "press options" prompt. Disconnecting my console from the internet fixed the problem, but in your case that would not be ideal.

All other hotfixes (rebuilding, deleting the game etc) did not work and I haven't tried wiping the entire hdd.

Oneself

Mine is a launch console and it works perfectly. So did the MP betas.

My ps4 spits the disc out radomly, never had a problem with it doing this,played ratchet all day today from disc and literally after putting in uncharted it spits out the disc after about 6-8mins

If it makes you feel any better OP, certain copies of The Last of Us just flat out don't work on my PS3. Had to borrow copies from three different friends before I got one that worked. Then that copy had to get traded in for them to get the remaster for PS4, when I was about 3/4 of the way through the game. ND looks to have some weird issues with a very small population of Sony's consoles it seems..

Worst thing about this error is its random nature. if it occured only in a special moment, it would be a lot better. but it happens at random moments. one time at cutscene, one time 2 seconds after cutscene and one time after some minutes. it makes U4 like a horror game! :|

I had the same error code in Q.U.B.E, where it would chrash immediatly after the "press options" prompt. Disconnecting my console from the internet fixed the problem, but in your case that would not be ideal.

All other hotfixes (rebuilding, deleting the game etc) did not work and I haven't tried wiping the entire hdd.
I'm an always offline gamer!

If it makes you feel any better OP, certain copies of The Last of Us just flat out don't work on my PS3. Had to borrow copies from three different friends before I got one that worked. Then that copy had to get traded in for them to get the remaster for PS4, when I was about 3/4 of the way through the game. ND looks to have some weird issues with a very small population of Sony's consoles it seems..
I've tested 2 discs, maybe I should test the third one. but I don't think it works. :(

Astral Dog

That sounds weird, i never heard if a system crash due to a AAA graphics peak!
Did the PS3 had the same thing?

Binabik15

I finally finished the patch download and now it doesn't let me set audio to 5.1 for my Logitech Z 5500 (I'm a poo studentr, damn audiophiles, okay). Yay! There's ambient menu sound coming out of the rear speakers though.

Eh, I'll just start playnng it, but surround sound would be nice. Especially with a ND game and their great audio.

benny_a

That sounds weird, i never heard if a system crash due to a AAA graphics peak!
Did the PS3 had the same thing?
It's not about graphics peak, it's about utilization and stress of the hardware.

You could make a bunch of triangles and cause the same thing, but that's not really something that gets sold on PS4.

hirokazu

I got my console around May 2014 and it's generally quiet except in certain parts of certain games. Uncharted 4 also made it go into jet engine mode at the menus and I could feel the vibrations putting my hand on the console, it kinda had me worried.

Luckily, it settled down a bit when I started playing. I've only played one session briefly, so it could partially be the game installing in the background.

Sounds like a manufacturing problem, not ND's.
It's really strange. I've played lots of games with PS4 and it's only U4 that has problem with my console. even multiplayer beta didn't run correctly on my PS4 and I couldn't play more than seconds. there are others with this situation too, but there isn't any solution for this. :(
http://feedback.naughtydog.com/forums/363840-uncharted-4/suggestions/13801572-error-ce-34878-0
http://community.us.playstation.com...rash-roughly-a-minute-into-game/td-p/45758143

I had this exact same problem with Uncharted 3 on my phat Launch PS3. First the UC3 MP Beta made it turn off (it would go *beep beep beep* and shut off with the blinking red light). Then it happened again with UC3 in the burning chateau chapter. Then it was suddenly happening with UC2. TLOU had the same problem, of course.

It wasn't an overheating issue since I could literally turn on the console, go to the game, and it would happen. What I figure is wear and tear, probably within the GPU. I never could fix it. =/

bluehat9

I had my ps4 come out of sleep mode and eject the disc twice forsome reason. Then the drive wouldnt take in any discs. Had to fully shut down the system and turn it back on for it to go back to normal. Hope my system's not breaking bc I never even heard of this before and never had it happen with any other game.

FeD.nL

So I got the game and basically have done everything to get it working.

Rebuilding the database, reinstalling the game, put in a new hdd. That new Hdd allowed me to play atleast chapter 1 & 2 before the crashes started happening again.

I was wondering if the OP/others in this thread might have found a solution?

So I got the game and basically have done everything to get it working.

Rebuilding the database, reinstalling the game, put in a new hdd. That new Hdd allowed me to play atleast chapter 1 & 2 before the crashes started happening again.

I was wondering if the OP/others in this thread might have found a solution?
There isn't any solution. :(
I did everything, but still couldn't play and sold my second game too. (first I tried a region 2 and then a region 1 disc)
You can visit here and see others with this error, but I don't think ND can solve the problem.
It's really sad that we can't play the biggest PS4 game with our consoles. it's like a black comedy that you have the console, but can't play its most famous game on that and should watch it on Youtube...

Top Bottom