• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

german-language nanostray 2 scans

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
"shmupboy" posted these at the shmups forum, and i thought i'd rehost them for gaf -- i suppose shooter fans will have seen them already. there's nothing quite amounting to a screenshot, but it looks like it's going to be a sidescroller -- which will at least rule out that angled top-down view, which is irritating wherever it occurs, but was particularly irritating in iridion 2 and nanostray. and shin'en have voiced their displeasure with the touchscreen gimmickry in the first nanostray, which was apparently foisted on them by the publisher. that's promising too.

sadly enough, i think nanostray 2 is the only shmup currently pending console release, so i have to anticipate it whether i like it or not -- but i really think shin'en will make a good shooter before they're through.

1al1nr1.jpg

2ap2yy1.jpg

3kf6qc1.jpg

4mo3fp2.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I see nothing. Oh, I see the scans, but they reveal nothing.

Thanks anyway! Nanostray was alright, but Iridion II was way better, IMHO.

jarosh

because of their bad experiences with publishers they're financing the whole development themselves. they don't feel like cutting features or rushing their game again. well, i guess that sounds promising...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jarosh said:
because of their bad experiences with publishers they're financing the whole development themselves. they don't feel like cutting features or rushing their game again. well, i guess that sounds promising...

Woah, woah woah. Hold it there. You can read German?!

That is nice that they are financing and controlling the whole project themselves. Shmups are way to niche to be mucking around with half implemented features like the touchscreen controls in the first one.

aku:jiki

drohne said:
but it looks like it's going to be a sidescroller
A couple of screens sure do look like hori, but a couple look like Space Harrier-esque on-rails shooting too. Philosoma 2 confirmed? Or maybe it's like Xyanide (let's hope not!)?

jarosh

Oblivion said:
Woah, woah woah. Hold it there. You can read German?!
might have something to do with it being my first language ;)
i've posted scans from german mags before and translated them. and i've translated plenty of german stuff for gaf in the past...

aku:jiki said:
A couple of screens sure do look like hori, but a couple look like Space Harrier-esque on-rails shooting too. Philosoma 2 confirmed? Or maybe it's like Xyanide (let's hope not!)?
it's apparently gonna be a side-scroller. this is a developer's diary. and the guy confirms it's gonna be like gradius v or r-type final. he also brings up ikaruga though which is kinda odd...

castle007

Banned
Guys!!!

OMG I know Germanese!!!!

steps of making the game

1st section: game design

2nd sec: graphics and animation

3rd: programming and special effects

4th: music and nanostray arcade mode

5th: level design and polarization

6th: Fertilization and bug fixation

Oblivion

jarosh said:
i've posted scans from german mags before and translated them. and i've translated plenty of german stuff for gaf in the past...

Well, guess you learn something new everyday. You should have been in that recent Zelda thread sooner. ;)

jarosh

Oblivion said:
Well, guess you learn something new everyday. You should have been in that recent Zelda thread sooner. ;)
well, uhm, i was there. i even translated. didn't i reply to your post even?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't see anything that suggests space harrier, but the shot with DER MITTELBOSS reminds me of the slightly-angled side view einhänder occasionally used. might just be for the purposes of the shot.

aku:jiki

drohne said:
i don't see anything that suggests space harrier, but the shot with DER MITTELBOSS reminds me of the slightly-angled side view einhänder occasionally used. might just be for the purposes of the shot.
I was thinking of that one (but I think it's likely just one of those "uh oh, it's the boss!" animations that zooms around the playing area for a little while) and the 2nd shot on the last page. It just looks to me like it's meant to "scroll" inwards.

Oblivion

jarosh said:
well, uhm, i was there. i even translated. didn't i reply to your post even?

My bad. Seems you did respond in the thread (dunno how I missed it). But you didn't quote me.

jarosh

drohne said:
well, that shot is just a render though. again, he says it's gonna be just like gradius v or r-type final. and it's gonna be 60 fps (just like nanostray 1 i think...?)

jarosh

there's one main weapon (which can be equipped with two 'satellites') and six sub-weapons (which need seperate ammo).

the game also tries to adapt the difficulty to the player's skills (meh) DURING the game. if you're having trouble with lots of enemies on screen it'll adjust.

Cosmozone

Oh, noticed that the article is completely written by a Shin'en game designer after glancing over it. That doesn't happen too often and is a nice touch.

jarosh said:
ICH KANN AUCH ANDERS
My German's a bit rusty, but that is disgusting.

On topic though it is good to see that someone still gives a damn about this genre, even if past efforts have been a bit uninspired.

jarosh

oops. i kinda forgot to mention that these four pics are indeed very early versions of the first level. without enemies, hud etc. obviously...

4mo3fp2.jpg

Does it mention anywhere why they chose the ds as their main development platform twice, or does it mention whether or not they would be interested in other platforms?

Soul4ger

Looks, graphically, maybe kinda like Einhander? Perhaps? That's kinda the impression I'm getting right away...

Probationsmack said:
Does it mention anywhere why they chose the ds as their main development platform twice, or does it mention whether or not they would be interested in other platforms?

I don't know German, so I can't speak for them, but I'd suspect, suspect mind you, that it has something to do with cranking out an impressive (for the hardware) game on a really small budget.

jarosh

Probationsmack said:
nope nothing about that.
it's also a nintendo mag so he's probably not gonna talk about other (non-nintendo) platforms anyway.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jarosh said:
do all of you guys have me on ignore or what

Oh, hi jarosh. You're in this thread, too? Didn't see you there until like, right now.

_dementia said:
Artistically, this looks BorderDownish

I hope it plays nicely. Euroshmups tend to not.

Reminds me a bit of Einhander in a way. I doubt it will be as good as either of them, though.

jarosh said:
the game also tries to adapt the difficulty to the player's skills (meh) DURING the game. if you're having trouble with lots of enemies on screen it'll adjust.
I don't like the sound of that. Sounds like Battle Garegga, which had the same idea and ****ed it up.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
jarosh said:
nope nothing about that.
it's also a nintendo mag so he's probably not gonna talk about other (non-nintendo) platforms anyway.
a _crappy_ nintendo mag I might add.. ;(
N-Zone ftl

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
jarosh said:

that can't be right we all speak the American language as a first language in america.

/my flatmate.

ontopic, would a top down shooter work over 2 screens? did nanostray?

jarosh

catfish said:
that can't be right we all speak the American language as a first language in america.

/my flatmate.

ontopic, would a top down shooter work over 2 screens? did nanostray?
they say it wouldn't. they'd have to reduce the framerate to 30 fps and the 'gap' between the two screens could also be a problem. nanostray was on one screen, the other screen was used for the hud etc.
what about that raid over the river game though? i think that team is going for a two-screen setup...

_bla_

Ok, a few interessting things from the text:

- Weapon change with Touchscreen in Nanostray 1 was forced by their publisher. Their publisher thought touchscreen usage would be mandatory on DS, now they know it isn't.

- They couldn't do some things like intro and cut scenes because the game needed to done much earlier than initially planned.

- Nanostray 2 is their 5th NDS title. Someone here knows what Shinen has done after Nanostray 1?

- They now have more experience with the hardware.

- They are completely financing Nanostray 2 by themself, without a publisher.
- A few publishers offered publishing&financing deals, they decided against that.

- Different kind of perspective like in R-Type Final, Ikaruga and Gradius V.

- Bottom screen used for HUD and game on the upper screen.

- Didn't want to do game on both screens because they can't do 60fps then, technical reason only allow 30fps, if 3D is used on both screens and 50% of video ram would also get used by the second screen, so textures would get worse too.

- They think fast SHMUPS are only possible with stable 60fps anyway.

- Gap between the screens is another problem.

- One main weapon and 2 satellites. Weapon configuration can be changed during the briefing but not during the levels.

- Adaptive difficulty, gets easier if the player sucks, harder if he plays well.

- Automatic upload of scores to the Nanostray 2 webpage via Wifi

- Players can up and download replays to the Nanostray 2 webpage via Wifi

- local WLAN Multiplayer mode, but no online cause not possible with that type of game due to lag

- they don't know if local multiplayer can use the same levels as single player, might be too taxing for the hardware when it has to show the double amount of stuff, maybe they will have to design new levels for multiplayer

- Good players can unlook mini games in a special challenge mode

SumGamer

_bla_ said:
Ok, a few interessting things from the text:

- Weapon change with Touchscreen in Nanostray 1 was forced by their publisher. Their publisher thought touchscreen usage would be mandatory on DS, now they know it isn't.

- They couldn't do some things like intro and cut scenes because the game needed to done much earlier than initially planned.

- Nanostray 2 is their 5th NDS title. Someone here knows what Shinen has done after Nanostray 1?

- They now have more experience with the hardware.

- They are completely financing Nanostray 2 by themself, without a publisher.
- A few publishers offered publishing&financing deals, they decided against that.

- Different kind of perspective like in R-Type Final, Ikaruga and Gradius V.

- Bottom screen used for HUD and game on the upper screen.

- Didn't want to do game on both screens because they can't do 60fps then, technical reason only allow 30fps, if 3D is used on both screens and 50% of video ram would also get used by the second screen, so textures would get worse too.

- They think fast SHMUPS are only possible with stable 60fps anyway.

- Gap between the screens is another problem.

- One main weapon and 2 satellites. Weapon configuration can be changed during the briefing but not during the levels.

- Adaptive difficulty, gets easier if the player sucks, harder if he plays well.

- Automatic upload of scores to the Nanostray 2 webpage via Wifi

- Players can up and download replays to the Nanostray 2 webpage via Wifi

- local WLAN Multiplayer mode, but no online cause not possible with that type of game due to lag

- they don't know if local multiplayer can use the same levels as single player, might be too taxing for the hardware when it has to show the double amount of stuff, maybe they will have to design new levels for multiplayer

- Good players can unlook mini games in a special challenge mode

That sounds terrific. And replay upload :O Superplay Wifi
No realtime weapon change :(

Top Bottom